How did you get to where YOU are with you favorite subgenre ...

Thrash Metal: I listened to Metallica - Enter Sandman and from there I found the good Metallica songs, this led to Megadeth, then later I found Sodom and one of my favorite bands ever, Kreator. Then i continued finding more and more thrash bands like Anthrax who i don't really like much but then i heard Raining Blood and that sealed the deal with thrash. Slayer, Kreator, and Metallica were my main draw-ins to thrash.

Death Metal: I listened to Soilwork at first and loved their music (they were one of the bands that got me into metal in general). Then i wanted more melodic death and found Fragments of Unbecoming, Mercenary, and Neuraxis and of course At the Gates. I loved the sound and the vocals and at that point i was listening to Dismember as well. I went slightly heavier when i began to like Suffocation. Then i got into even more brutal death and listened to Deamon, and Skinless. Of course, Death was a huge factor especially the songs Jealousy and The Philosopher. I also began searching for even more bands and found Krisiun, Entombed, Nile, etc. My favorite sub-sub-genre in Death Metal will always be melodic death and my favorite death metal band, the band that really made me a death metal lover was Dismember.

Progressive Death/Power/Thrash - Bands like Dream Theater, and the progressive Amorphis, and Opeth, and the progressiveish Nevermore and Agalloch, are a few of the great progressive bands. Dream Theater and Opeth started my progressive journey when i heard the soloing of Petrucci and the vocals of Akerfeldt (which in turn helped me aquire a taste for death metal vocals). I love the long epic songs of progressive with the huge solo sections and great keyboard/mellotron. Progressive Power Metal like Into Eternity and Pyramaze and Symphony X are amazing and showed me the more obscure side of Progressive rather than the mainstream Dream Theater and the ever-growing Dragonforce who really aren't progressive anyway. Progressive is my favorite of all subgenres (except maybe melodic death) and it has helped me to find bands in other subgenres and branch out into more obscure bands.