How did you get to where YOU are with you favorite subgenre ...

Old school death metal (Shocking, right?)

It started with Entombed, Unleashed, Dismember, Pestilence and Atheist, and my adoration has remained as enthusiastic as ever. I probably personally get more out of black metal, but in more recent times, I almost exclusively just listen to old school death. I can't see this ceasing any time soon.

The Greys said:
death metal

I first heard florida and US death metal bands being that I live in the US. I heard entombed and dismember when pretty young not really getting it. I went through a period when I was not listening to death metal. I remember posting here at some point starting getting more into swedish death metal then moving onto finland death metal. Euro death metal is my favorite style of metal. I feel that euro death metal has more of a sense of doom dread and atmosphere and is generally creepy akward and unorthodox. A lot of US death metal did not really reflect on death and pessimistic themes besides some older florida bands. I feel that early 90's european death metal bands really emphazise on death and are less typical and trendy on various levels.

interesting I kinda agree with you there too

listening to bloodbath ''eaten" is a 20x more creepy experience than say a song by mortician (LOL I cringe everytime I hear tatgren scream "my only desire, since I was born is to see my body ripped and torn... to see my flesh devoured, and only for you, I volunteer as A HUMAN SACRIFIIIIIICE"')

xxbigdavexx117 said:
cool thread - tough to say what my favorite subgenre is - I enjoy thrash, progressive, and death - overall I'd say it's DM - here's how I got into it

a couple of months ago - at this time I hated DM because of the vocals (except opeth they were the first band with DM vocals that I enjoyed)- I enjoyed the riffs + drumming but I was not prepared for the brutality of DM + brutal vocals - on top of that the only DM band I had heard was cannibal corpse - and I thought all DM was that sort of lame novelty BS - so I was arguing on a board about why I hated DM - I told this guy that I hated because of the horrible vocals - bringing up cannibal corpse - then he told me that "Crappable corpse" is not a very good DM band - so he suggested morbid angel - so I looked up morbid angel on youtube - I watched the video "god of emptiness" and I fucking loved it!!

from morbid angel - I went on to deicide then Behemoth then nile, then dying fetus death etc...

listen to bolt thrower

It's hard to say since there's no specific subgenre I listen to more than another at the moment. I went through the common mdm -> dm -> bm phases but haven't ended up with a favourite style, and recently all I've listened to is Classical and Deftones anyway.

I learned about death metal from reading on the internet and quickly sampled some Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse in 2005. I liked it but was more into mainstream metal at the time. By listening to Sirius radio I got into death metal and learned about a lot of the bands. I have been into death metal for a little while, not too long, but I'm glad I discovered as it's my favorite subgenre. I would've never learned I had a death growl if not for listening to death metal and now I'm writing songs for my one-man band and recording them. Nile, Morbid Angel, and Suffocation opened the door to death metal for me. Now I like deathgrind and brutal death metal as well.I had no clue what black metal was until this summer. I had heard of it on the internet and sampled some Emperor and instantly loved it. I bought my first black metal album In The Nightside Eclipse in July and loved all of it. I then got into Satyricon and Darkthrone and mainly Norwegian black metal. Now I've gotten into USBM like ABSU, Xasthur, and Leviathan and also other European metal like Limbonic Art, Marduk, and Nokturnal Mortum.

Death Metal

The first death metal album I ever bought was Possessed's Seven Churches and thinking how amazing it was. I needed more of that kinda music then later of I gor into Death, Sepultura, Entombed, Gorguts, Pestilence, Massacre, Deicide, Autopsy, Cancer, Vader, Obituary, Suffocation, etc.

xxbigdavexx117 said:
interesting I kinda agree with you there too

If you agree with me you are wrong since spectacular views told me I did not answer the question!.

The Greys said:
If you agree with me you are wrong since spectacular views told me I did not answer the question!.

He can still agree with your post. :confused:

Thrash Metal

my friend first got me into some megadeth/maiden/metallica a few years ago, i started listened to all taht good stuff (except for some metallica) then i just started listening to more thrash bands
like testament/exodus/slayer/etc and thats about it

Prog Metal. I also love doom/death for some strange reasons.

I experimented with some stuff, but finally settled with Emperor in my sophomore year of high school. I kinda kicked around the black metal thing, listening to Emperor, Dark Funeral, Immortal, etc...but found the genre to be a little too silly for me. I respect black metal musicians to the fullest, but the corpse paint kind of shuts me off. Ihsahn is by far one of my favorite musicians of all time. I bought my first Opeth album (Still Life) late in my sophomore year. This opened my eyes to the rest. I shortly there after started listening to music, a little more power influenced, after I had gone to a local show (Cellador). This got me into Symphony X and Nevermore. Now, I'm 19 and think Jeff Loomis and MJR are the greatest guitarists ever.:headbang:

Oh yeah, who can forget Tenacious D!

Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine

Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Children of Bodom

Got bored with metal, listened to RAtM, System of a Down and Dandy Warhols a lot.

Opeth, Judas Priest

Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Bloodbath, Naglfar, Psycroptic, Astriaal, Burzum

Darkthrone, Destroyer 666, Agalloch, Absu, Weakling, Drudkh, DsO, Arghoslent, The Chasm, Pagan Altar

Sleep, Sunn, Primordial, Slough Feg, Iron Maiden, Ulver, Witchcraft, Mournful Congregation, Stargazer, Pelican, Bolt Thrower, Incantation

Dolorian, The Gault, Kyuss

My gateway bands/albums are:

Mallcore/Poseur metal: Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil (August 2005) I hate this band now, but this band along with a couple of metalcore bands helped get me into real metal.
Real Metal: In Flames - Subterranean & Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power (January 2006)
Thrash Metal: Metallica - Kill 'Em All (Februarary 2006) Still my favorite thrash album.
Traditional Metal: Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (May 2006)
Power Metal: Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm (May 2006)
Death Metal: Death - Spritual Healing (May 2006)

So yeah, I'm still a little new to real metal, but I progressed very quickly since January.

D3v4S7A710N said:
Prog Metal. I also love doom/death for some strange reasons.

I experimented with some stuff, but finally settled with Emperor in my sophomore year of high school. I kinda kicked around the black metal thing, listening to Emperor, Dark Funeral, Immortal, etc...but found the genre to be a little too silly for me. I respect black metal musicians to the fullest, but the corpse paint kind of shuts me off. Ihsahn is by far one of my favorite musicians of all time. I bought my first Opeth album (Still Life) late in my sophomore year. This opened my eyes to the rest. I shortly there after started listening to music, a little more power influenced, after I had gone to a local show (Cellador). This got me into Symphony X and Nevermore. Now, I'm 19 and think Jeff Loomis and MJR are the greatest guitarists ever.:headbang:

Oh yeah, who can forget Tenacious D!

Dang it - I thought I was gonna get to be the first to say Prog Metal by way of Opeth...

Which is an enormous oversimplification, but probably the best I could do to answer this question in any meaningful way....

Nice thread.

I dunno what my favorite subgenre is these days because I listen to and appreciate different styles everyday, but back in my metal heyday it was definately technical death metal. Here's how it happened with metal for me:

1986/87: I was listening to stuff like Iron Maiden and AC/DC when my mate gave me a tape with Master of Puppets on one side and Ride the Lightning on the other. My life changed forever.

89: Discovered thrash metal by way of Kreators "Extreme Aggression" album. Started getting right into Slayer, Coroner, Sodom, etc.

90: I heard Deaths "Spiritual Healing" on community radio and was absolutely blown away. I couldn't believe that anything could be so heavy. I was still listening to heaps of thrash and power metal, but death metal started taking over.

91: A glorious year. So many great death metal albums were released. Florida made its mark. I was listening to as much dm as I could get my hands on. Deicide, Morbid Angel, Death, Entombed, Napalm Death, Atheist, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Pestilence and Coroner all released classic albums.

92/93: Spent these years living in England, playing in a death metal band, listening to heaps of death/grind, and going to see every death metal band that toured. I think Brutal Truth's "Extreme Conditions...." album was the pinnacle of my extreme music appreciation, before I got bored with it and started listening to Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.

After that I listened to less and less metal and in about 95 I got right into funk and jazz. I've listened to so much different music between then and now, but I came back to metal eventually of course. Now I'm trying to get somewhat educated on what's gone on while I wasn't into metal, and what's going on now. And I've got a whole new appreciation for the stuff that came out back then. Hurrah! :kickass:

My favorite sub-genre is death metal, and it was Deicide that opened the gates for me. Their brutality, speed, and blasphemous lyrics appealed a great deal to me when I was teenager. I had loved horror films since I was little, and now I had found the aural equivalent to horror stories! How fucking cool is that? I continue to listen to DM to this day because IMO it is the most diverse and malleable metal sub-genre. Musicians can inject melody, orchestration, dissonance, and any other manner of tonal atmosphere and still stay true to the root structure of death metal.

Death Metal for sure

Started listening to metalcore at first, and eventually got to melodic death metal such as Insomnium and Kalmah. What really got me into death metal was Bloodbath, probably my favorite band. Breeding Death made me open my eyes to other death metal bands such as Morbid Angel, Entombed, Scythe, Immolation, and etc.

Doom metal.

It started from symphonic metal bands like Therion and Nightwish. They led me to early Theatre Of Tragedy, then it was easy to get into My Dying Bride and still deeper, now my favourite is Monolithe. Also I've always been Black Sabbath fan which also led me on my way to doom.