How did you get to where YOU are with you favorite subgenre ...

When I heard Remission, Oceanic and Jane Doe in 2002 it opened my eyes to non-traditional metal/hardcore that actually offers new directions for progression within extreme music and really connects with me on an emotional level. So I still love death, black, doom, etc but (as I wrote somewhere else) they need to be doing something fairly different or truly amazing to get me exited. The albums that have wowed me recently are probably most connected with doom/sludge/stoner or are Agalloch/Primordial type bands that manage to evoke incredible amounts of sorrow and passion with their music. But basically I'm open to everything these days, metal or not.

I agree, good thread; i gotta head out so this will be quick

2000 - hard rock (and sabbath)
2001 - hardcorepunk (discharge)
2002 - a bit of thrash, a bit of crossover, metalcore, black sabbath
2003 - mostly metalcore and modern death metal that i wasnt really content with but, which led to...
2004 - a weird experimental phase covering almost every subgenre but most notably black/unblack, old school death, goth metal, tech death and funeral doom
2005 - mostly thrash, a bit of crossover, epic bands like cirith ungol, pagan alter, candlemass which led to...
2006 - transition to almost entirely traditional doom, like dodens i began expanding upon my experience on sabbath, and i have found that this is by far my favourite niche

bands that have remained as constant favourites: sepultura, discharge, black sabbath, bolt thrower

edit: forgot to mention in favs list - katatonia

Burzum was the first extreme metal band I heard... or maybe Mastodon, whatever, the band that got me into my current favourite sub-genre (Death metal) I believe was Bloodbath, or more specifically the song 'Outnumbering The Day' which is still one of my favourite metal songs, but I'm not such a massive fan of Bloodbath in general any more.

The bands that got me into the more specific sub-genres:
Tech Death - Cryptopsy/Necrophagist... having said this, I hardly listen to any tech death aside from these 2 bands and a couple of others.

Gore/Death - Exhumed

Grindcore - I don't remember... probably Nasum.

I'm bored of this now, toodles.

Early to mid 90s death metal is probably my favorite. In a way, I kind of went for the most extreme bands I could find and eventually worked backwards over time. I'd already liked a lot of the faster, harder tunes by the big four and such, and when I realized there existed even faster, more atonal music out there, it caught my attention immediately. I remember reading an article in some magazine about death metal where it listed "essential" records, and that was probably when I first discovered the genre even existed. Granted, a few of the albums mentioned didn't exactly fall under the death metal umbrella (Persecution Mania, Welcome to Hell, Napalm's Diatribes), but I didn't have internet at the time, so there was little else to go by. I think one of the first more extreme albums I picked up was Sepultura's "Roots." It doesn't hold up terribly well nowadays, but it was being hyped pretty hard at the time as something new for a death/thrash band. Even though I rarely listen to it nowadays, the eerie more atonal feel stuck with me and kind of set the stage. Soon after, I picked up Napalm Death's "Peel Sessions" and Carcass' "Heartwork", and from there I discovered other bands like Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Death, Entombed, etc. It wouldn't be for another couple of years I that attended my first show (Cannibal Corpse/Angel Corpse) Thank god there were death metal shows being booked in clubs accessible by the subway at the time, since I didn't have a license. A couple of guys in high school (about my age) frequently booked a number of smaller bands like Fleshgrind, Internal Bleeding, Skinless, Mortician, and Broken Hope at a place about 15 minutes away. I didn't get into a number of those particular bands, but I learned how big the underground scene was through the shows, and I guess the rest is history.

Also, it wasn't too long after I discovered death metal that I got online, where I learned about a number of bands from various genres (black metal, power metal, funeral doom, grind, etc.), and while it would be a bit longer before exploring those styles more thoroughly, early on I found bands from a number of styles of metal that I really enjoyed.

Hmmmm....

I could effuse about how I got into Thrash and Death metal "Back in the day", but that would be quite bent, to be honest.

Doom is probably my favourite genre. I got into it through playing some of my dads old Sabbath albums back in about 1990, 1991 - after having dismissed them as boring old dinosaur rock (being at that stage a fledgeling deathster and fully paid of thrasher) - but ended up being utterly blown away. I taped Cathedral - "Forest of Equilibrium" not too long after it was released, and followed them after that - including all the bands that they name dropped in interviews - Witchfinder General, Pentagram etc etc etc

I have to admit that I've changed my mind about black metal, and started really digging it lately. Bands that got me into changes are Drudkh, Mortifera (Fra), Negura Bunget, Nightside Glance, Elhaz, Wolven Ancestry, etc.

Death metal. I'm 29, and started listening to death metal when I was 14. Before I was listening to death metal, I was listening to thrash, and before that, hard rock. As much as I hate to admit it, there was a time (from when I was 20 till when I was 24) that hardcore/metalcore was my favorite genre, largely because I had a couple friends that were really into hardcore, and hardcore (though not so much the old punk-ish stuff) does have quite a bit in common with metal. After my hardcore/metalcore phase, death metal once again became my favorite genre. Many of my current favorite bands, however, are doomdeath or blackened doom. I wouldn't say that doom is my favorite genre, because I am not very much into traditional doom. So death metal is my favorite genre, then black metal, and then thrash. I like traditional metal, and some power metal, but I don't listen to it that often.

At the moment my favorite sub genre is Doom, with BM closely behind. For the past 8 months Doom and I have been growing closer together, mainly because I keep researching more and more bands in the genre.

Now don't call me "emo", but when I'm depressed, I need depressive music. Even if it's slightly self-destructive.

I honestly don't know how I got here or what path I traveled or why I like it best... that would require much thought on the subject, whereas most of my thoughts need to be on schoolwork-------and the vibrator I just ordered :erk:

I think a Doom band should write a song about sex toys. A nice slow one please thank you.

Start off while my younger brother tried to apply for a metal band (he's playing guitar), the guys in the band sorta tested him out and told him to learn stuff from Nile, Abuse, Six Feet Under, Quo Vadis, Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus... turned out he wasn't good enough at that point to play that fast and to do crazy solos. In fact it was the first time we heard "extreme metal" before that like mostly everyone we though there were no heavier music than papa roach and limp bizkit... It was a huge kick in the face the first time we listened to death metal. Since that day I sporadicly (didn't became a metalhead from day 1, took some turns by metalcore, hardcore, punk then got big in death metal) became more and more addict by extreme metal.

Now I enjoy most metal genre, mostly crossover, good doom, death metal, grind, black and some other weird stuff (ambient, prog, avant-garde, etc.) cause I don't like to listen to 32463637 bands that sound exactly the same.

LivingCadaver said:
Start off while my younger brother tried to apply for a metal band (he's playing guitar), the guys in the band sorta tested him out and told him to learn stuff from Nile, Abuse, Six Feet Under, Quo Vadis, Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus... turned out he wasn't good enough at that point to play that fast and to do crazy solos. In fact it was the first time we heard "extreme metal" before that like mostly everyone we though there were no heavier music than papa roach and limp bizkit... It was a huge kick in the face the first time we listened to death metal. Since that day I sporadicly (didn't became a metalhead from day 1, took some turns by metalcore, hardcore, punk then got big in death metal) became more and more addict by extreme metal.

Now I enjoy most metal genre, mostly crossover, good doom, death metal, grind, black and some other weird stuff (ambient, prog, avant-garde, etc.) cause I don't like to listen to 32463637 bands that sound exactly the same.

Were the dudes real assholes about it and laugh in your face when your bro returned going :cry: wtf death metal this is impossible to play :lol: i mean most "metalheads" are usually assholes before they are understanding when it comes to people that don't know metal or think they know metal and suggest bullshit bands.

Don't have a favourite subgenre. Having favourites sucks. Doesn't leave room for flexibility. I don't think I have a favourite genre at all either. Everything has a mood associated with it. :)

Aarohi said:
Don't have a favourite subgenre. Having favourites sucks. Doesn't leave room for flexibility.

That's absurd. Just because one particular style appeals to you over others does not mean you can't appreciate it all.

That's absurd. Just because one particular style appeals to you over others does not mean you can't appreciate it all.

If one style appeals to me at one particular time, I do not declare it as my favourite, because that would leave the others below it a step or two. If I like a band today, there's a pretty good chance I might like another band more than this one tomorrow. Tastes along with moods change. Atleast mine do. I like keeping my horizon wide instead of narrowing it down microscopically to 'favourite subgenre'.

You want the current liking?
Sure. Black Metal... mostly.

:)

Leiland said:
Were the dudes real assholes about it and laugh in your face when your bro returned going :cry: wtf death metal this is impossible to play :lol: i mean most "metalheads" are usually assholes before they are understanding when it comes to people that don't know metal or think they know metal and suggest bullshit bands.
nah I think they were seriously listenning to Six Feet Under and Abuse :\ Anyway, my brother went to the tryout and pretty much never saw them again, sadly now he plays some metalcore stuff even though he listen to a bit of metal. The only few metal bands he actually played were some Metallica, Quo Vadis and that's pretty much it... He's been playing guitar for like 7-8 years (took like 5-6 years of guitar lessons) now and doesn't want to improve anymore so he play crappy generic bands tunes.

My favourite genres are death and black metal.

Black metal:
My first black metal band was Dimmu Borgir, I was truly amazed after listening SBD album. I still like them but now they seem to be a little death metal also. Next black metal band was Gorgoroth. "Destroyer" was their firts album I listened to and I liked it. Next was Anaal Nathrakh, I started to listen to them because of the black metal radio, they have put the "Supreme Necrotic Audnance" track to some playlist. I listened to the track couple of times, first I was a little bit put off buy their vocals but then I tried "Domine Non Es Dignus" album and I was also amazed, every track from this album is perfect for me (excluding "This Cannot Be The End" song). And then Arkhon Infaustus came, I really don't remember who recommended me them, I think I found them by myself. I started with "Filth Catalyst" cd, and to this day I really enjoy their music very much.

Death metal:
First it was Decapitated, thanks to "Winds Of Creation" album I started to be curious about other death metal genre, still I've listened to Decapitated and after hearing a couple of song from "Nihility" album I started to listen to Krisiun. I remember watching "Murderer" video clip and my first thought about them was "I have to try 'em out". I was really impressed by the solos in "Black Force Domain" album. Next was Suffocation, I downloaded "Souls To Deny" and after that I was digging into their older albums. Now I also listen to stuff like Nile, Exhumed, Skinless etc.

Nowadays I listen also to grindcore but not all of the bands are easy to listen for me comparing to black and death metal.

Melancholic metal (goth / doom /progressive / melodic death, not so much black)
I don't know facinated by music that aims at creating sad bleak atmospheres, with heavy riffing, making it cool for my age