How did you get to where YOU are with you favorite subgenre ...

Mort Divine

Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd
Oct 28, 2005
Fargo, ND
So we all know that everyone has their favorite subgenres, or most everyone, but what we don't always know is how they progressed through that subgenre to get to where they are now with it.

So, basically, post:

Which band brought you into the style, which bands you got into after that gateway band, and then general evolution through the style until you got to where you are now with it.

____

My favorite subgenre is black metal, as I find it to be the most beautiful, atmospheric, and visceral style of metal around. It is the most honest that is for sure, with bands spewing unpopular views left and right. My gateway band was I believe, ...and Oceans. I just found their mixture of keyboard work that just amazed me and this gigantic wall of sound, not unsimilar to that of The Devin Townsend Band's wall of sound, to be perfect. Soon after that I was into bands like Emperor, and whatever I had good "clean" production. I honestly could not stand "raw" production for the longest time, and then one day I just got deeper and deeper into it, and found myself loving even the most raw of bands, Ildjarn for example. Somewhere along the way I acquired a taste for the likes of bands such as Beherit and Blut Aus Nord. Then I came across Windir, who opened my gates into what I love more than any style of metal, folk/black. I went from Windir to Arkona to Isengard to many many others.

I hardly remember my entire path along the roads of black metal, however I can only say that whatever got me to listen to Belenos and Primordial I thank you, for I now can say I've settled into MY style of metal. Black metal + folk influences, in tasteful amounts ala the bands mentioned are the absolute pinacle of music for me, and I doubt I will ever change my opinion on that.

My favorite subgenre is Death Metal, because to me it is the heaviest and most agressive.

The band that introduced me to the style was Hypocrisy, specifically the song Roswell 47 and the album Virus. Soon after I got into Vader and Carcass and love them both. From here I got some plain old dm including Malevolent Creation, Behemoth, Bolt Thrower and Kataklysm.

Then came a big break for me: The Suffocation two in one album that included Pierced From Within and Effigy of the Forgotten. This along with Deeds of Flesh and Dying Fetus got me into the brutal death I love so much today.

My first true sub-genre was black metal, but not the tr00 or raw stuff. My first black metal was either symphonic, progressive, avantgarde. My first metal band, having any relation black metal, was The Kovenant. I bought SETI, which is not black metal at all, but then I reached down into their past and started adjusting to the more aggressive style and the rougher vocals, from the industrial-leaning but powerful "Animatronic" to the symphonic bombast of "Nexus Polaris", until I embraced this new violent style of music.

"Nexus Polaris" featured keyboardist Sverd Johnssen, which lead me to check out his band Arcturus, and through their vocalist Garm and Simen I found what remains today to be my favorite band, Borknagar. From then on I knew that post/symphonic/progressive/what have you - black metal would always appeal to me.

When cookiecutter approached me one day with the gateway to death metal I gladly stepped through the door into full communion with extreme metal, culminating in my favorite death metal band, Hypocrisy.

Yeah, black metal for me too. Emperor was the first band that showed me how fascinating this genre can be. I started with scandinavian bands... then i discovered that eastern european bands (in general) fit better for me. Pagan, raw, with folk influences, atmospheric, symphonic, etc, i have at least one "magic" band for each subgenre and i love them. At the moment, my favourite bm band is Graveland and my favourite album (ever) is 'n Crugu Bradului - Negura Bunget (this is such an unique album, full of signification, "spiritual orgasm" haha.. i can't really describe it well :)).

grindcore for me...the gateway band(s) were Anal Cunt, Pig Destroyer and Amebix. I started out as a hardcore punk fan, took a detour through stoner/doom and then became a grind-head.

I only recently got into black and death metal.

I started off with classic rock because I already hated pop at a young age, then just moved up the chain top my current favorite, symphonic black metal or prog.

My favorite genres include melodic death metal, technical death metal, and brutal death metal, and some (but not as much as a few people here like Malignance and The Greys) old-school death; all relatively niche genres.

When I first started listening to metal, I actually got into brutal death fairly early on, of course after melo-death. However, I like death metal bands with peculiar melodies, concepts that set them apart, etc. I also like retardedly brutal slam death stuff because it's just enjoyable to me. :)

My gateway bands/albums are:

Metal, in general: Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Extreme metal(with growls, I mean): Tristania-Widow's Weeds
Black metal: Dimmu Borgir-Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Death metal: Death-Symbolic
The actual fascination with old-school started with my exposure to Demigod-Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Ambient/Neoclassical-Devil Doll, then Puissance(if you start why not start from the best:D), abandoned it for a long time and much later Dead Can Dance revived my interest in this genre, which I'm now really enjoying a lot though you won't catch me listening to DCD that much
Currently plowing my way through Cold Meat Industry and related labels to find more quality stuff. Puissance are still insurmountable, for now.

My favorite genre fluctuates between the main subgenres, Heavy, Doom, Thrash, Death, and Black, and I tend to go through periods of each. I can't really say that overall I favor any over any others, except maybe Heavy and Thrash being less prominent than the others. Thrash Metal is great to listen to regularly, but it can be too insubstantial to really merit being a favorite.

That said, though I've always listened to Black Sabbath, it wasn't until two years ago that I realized that I didn't really listen to any other Doom and at that point I just viewed Black Sabbath as Heavy Metal more or less. The first Doom bands after that point that sucked me in were Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Internal Void, and Reverend Bizarre. These days, other favorites include The Gates Of Slumber, Fall Of The Idols, Candlemass, and Solitude Aeternus.

As for Black Metal, as is par for the course, my introduction included Burzum, Emperor, Immortal, and Darkthrone. Soon after, I discovered Bathory, and along with Burzum and Darkthrone chiefly, I became sucked into Black Metal for a good long while, listening to s bunch of bands that I would now consider rather boring or generic, but at the time it was all Black Metal. Among the previously mentioned favorites are Countess, Summoning, Abigor, Samael, Anael, and an assortment of others.

Death Metal took me a while to get into, and for a while I was content with Melodeath. As I kept seeing discussion about bands like Morbid Angel and Entombed, however, I eventually

You know what, fuck this, I lost interest after the first paragraph, but I'm posting this half-assed unfinished shit anyway. So much for making a worthwhile contribution.

Reactions: Necro Joe
Anything dealing with Death metal are my favorites.

The first (sorta) death metal band I got into was Soilwork (newer material first then eventually leading to older metarial) I started with the newer material mainly because of they intergrating singing into the harsh style. (Mainly because I used to focus too much on vocals and also I was coming off from being a fan of Trivium and all that metalcore crap so I wasn't really good with screaming) Then I bought an In Flames album (STYE) and loved it of course so I decided to pick up their other album in the store, The Jester Race, and fell in love with the inturments and decided to stop focusing on vocals (though I eventually began to love the screaming as well)... from here I started to listen to Dark Tranquility (all melodic death so far) and it was slighty more aggressive then anything else I had previously heard so I started to find more brutal bands and so on and so forth. But every sub-genre has good bands I like though (except I never listen to any straight goth stuff)

cool thread - tough to say what my favorite subgenre is - I enjoy thrash, progressive, and death - overall I'd say it's DM - here's how I got into it

a couple of months ago - at this time I hated DM because of the vocals (except opeth they were the first band with DM vocals that I enjoyed)- I enjoyed the riffs + drumming but I was not prepared for the brutality of DM + brutal vocals - on top of that the only DM band I had heard was cannibal corpse - and I thought all DM was that sort of lame novelty BS - so I was arguing on a board about why I hated DM - I told this guy that I hated because of the horrible vocals - bringing up cannibal corpse - then he told me that "Crappable corpse" is not a very good DM band - so he suggested morbid angel - so I looked up morbid angel on youtube - I watched the video "god of emptiness" and I fucking loved it!!

from morbid angel - I went on to deicide then Behemoth then nile, then dying fetus death etc...

death metal

I first heard florida and US death metal bands being that I live in the US. I heard entombed and dismember when pretty young not really getting it. I went through a period when I was not listening to death metal. I remember posting here at some point starting getting more into swedish death metal then moving onto finland death metal. Euro death metal is my favorite style of metal. I feel that euro death metal has more of a sense of doom dread and atmosphere and is generally creepy akward and unorthodox. A lot of US death metal did not really reflect on death and pessimistic themes besides some older florida bands. I feel that early 90's european death metal bands really emphazise on death and are less typical and trendy on various levels.

Reactions: enjoi17