How did you find you favorite bands?

Raumien

Pepsi Fiend
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
As the title says.

Ayreon - Back when I first got the program soulseek, one day I opened up my soulseek folder and saw that an Ayreon album, The Dream Sequencer Part 1 specifically, had been downloaded. I didn't remember telling it to, but I figured, it's here so I'll try it out. I listened to the song Dragon On The Sea and thought, "Hey, this is pretty cool...a little different though." Listened to the rest of the album and fell in love. Next trip I took to my favorite CD store, Quonset Hut, I looked for the band. I saw this album there and nothing else, so I went ahead and picked it up. Been an obsession ever since. They're one of those groups where the more you find out about them, the more they impress you...with me at least. I discovered it's prettymuch one guy behind the band, who gets 8 or so new singers for each album. The albums are largely about the decline and self destruction of mankind, following the path of a blind minstrel who receives visions from the future. It's a very interesting tale. Their later albums didn't always follow this suite, such as the recent Human Equation, which was more about the experiences that shaped one mans life. Regardless, Arjen Lucassen, the man behind Ayreon, has yet to put out an album under this group that I didn't enjoy.

Opeth - As my interest in metal was peaking, I was advised to go to www.ultimatemetal.com for some Black Metal recommendations. I had browsed the forums for a month or so, then found myself at Borders with my mom asking me if I wanted to get any CD's. I thought to try some new stuff, so two of the bands I had heard a lot about on Ultimate Metal came to mind. Symphopny X and Opeth. I just picked the longest albums they had for each band, The Odyssey and Morningrise, respectively. When I got home I listened to Opeth. I heard loud, heavy music on the first track and htought, hey, this sounds like it has potential. It had a pounding chorus with a vocal style (Death growls) I was just getting used to...this part really blew me away. Then something happened, somehting that didn't happen in the music I listened to at the time. The heaviness stopped and in its place was a long, very repetitious acoustic segment. It shifted between the two style throughout the song, and my initial reaction was disapointment because I thought this meant it'd be ****ty....but as I listened I just became amazed at the beauty of it, such as the vocals at 6:40 into the song. I listened to the song again and from then on I was definately hooked. I looked back at some of the stuff I was listening to previously....Metallica, Immortal, Macabre....it just made music like that look like people mindlessly banging on guitars and yelling. Opeth had a profound effect on me, not simply making me adore their music, but it actually made my interest in other types of music re-emerge. If you told me in 8th grade I'd be listening to Yanni and Simon & Garfunkel when I'm 18, I'd laugh at you. Opeth are responsible for a large part of my maturity when it comes to music.

Tool - This one was a much more gradual process than either of the above. I had been recommended Tool many times, had people tell me "download the song stinkfist!" etc. Listened ot a couple songs by them, they seemed alright, but nothing that really caught my interest. I had a stoner friend named Chester tell me I should get their album Aenima. This guy tended to know some good bands as well so this made my interest in Tool raise a little. Then I met a guy named Kyle. He lives in Louisiana and is responsible for a large portion of what I listen to today. He was really into them, and he had me listen to their song 46&2. I listened to Tool very carefully that time...for the first time really. It was very intruiging music. After becoming a big fan of 46&2 I looked to their newest album, which I had heard pieces of. Schism and Parabola became regulars on my playlists. I slowly became a bigger and bigger fan, but not until I read a certain webpage did I become obsessed. This website made me very interested in Tool. I remember talking with my friend Dan at lunch about how Tool used a lot of math when arranging their music....drums specifically. I had read up on that a little. This piece just blew me away though, it made me realize I had been missing out on a lot of what Tool was about, an djust listening to their beats and not their music as a complete package. Next time I went out to my second favorite music store, Record Exchange, I bought every full length album Tool has released and I've yet to feel anyhting close to regret. I've studied their music since then and I'm continually blown away by its depth and creativity. I can't think of a single thing I've ever anticipated as much as Tool's new album.

Death - This is another band I owe thanks to Ultimate Metal for. I heard so many people talking about this band. For some reason I had the idea that they were just another stupid death metal band in the vein of Cannibal Corpse, a group that just plays fast and talks about killing people. I downloaded a few songs and I was impressed by the musicianship...at times it was a bit generic and immature, but it was levels above other bands of their genre. Eventually I go tmy hands on a copy of The Sound Of Perseverance, and as a drummer I was impressed with it fromt he very first song, which began in a drum solo. I think if I picked an earlier Death album I might of disregarded them as generic Death metal, because their later albums were much more progressive than their early stuff. This album featured catchy melodies, some of the best riffs I've ever heard and a simply crushing sound that hooked me. I began exploring them more, realizing how introspective their lyrics were. The combination of unique, progressive metal that was also heavy and good to headbang to, along with their intelligent lyrics about emotions, dreams and so forth made me a huge fan.

Pink Floyd - Somehow, during my years of exploring progressive and classic rock, Pink Floyd remained largely overlooked by me. I shrugged them off, being turned off by the number of people that seemed to listen to nothing but Floyd and Zeppelin yet call themselves die-hard classic rock fans. They had a few songs I enjoyed....money was cute and catchy, with decent lyrics as well. Another Brick In The Wall..who doesn't know that song? Nice and catchy with a weird sound to it. Dark and bitter, but not in the most obvious of ways. It wasn't until I got their DVD of The Wall that I realized that like Tool, I had overlooked yet another band my stoner friend Chester had recommended I listen to. I ended up downloading about 30 of their albums and since I've been opened up to the beauty of their music. Chester always told me to get Animals and now I see why. He told me, listen to th e song Pigs (Three different ones), and dammit, that's probably my favorite Floyd song now. The ****** was a psychic. Their long, instrumental songs just clicked with me. I'm the type that like shtose sort of moments in music, where you can just mentally wonder then have a verse come back in and make you realize that you're still listneing to the song. Definately a fan of their more psychadelic, older material.

Rush - On the same visit to Quonset Hut where I picked up my first Ayreon album, I had it in my head to look for 2112 as well. someone on another forum, PGNX I believe, had told me this was "The album" to get, period. When I first got it, I didn't exactly agree. Something for Nothing, the last track, was a catchy, straight-forward rocker that I enjoyed. Train To Bangkok had an intro that made me laugh, but otherwise I was unimpressed with the album. That was at my friend Kyles house. When I had my first real listen to it at my house, I went through the song 2112 completely and the album became of much higher value to me. The song was epic, it told a complete story within itself I discovered after reading the lyrics. I listened to this song for about a week and was impressed more with each day I heard it and listened to the instrumentals and how complex, detailed and simply cool sounding specific parts were. The rest of the album I still didn't care for...that took about half a year for me to get past the idea that 2112 contained a killer title track, a cool rock song at the end but otherwise had pointless songs on it. After 2112, I picked up Chronicles for 5$. It was a compilation of their works from the beginning up to about 1990, on two CD's. It was perfect for me at the time. I adored every song off disc 1, their earlier stuff. It really caught my attention. Disc 2 I didn't care for the more modern tracks as much at the time, but that era of Rush has definately grown on me.....Grace Under PRessure and Signals are two of my favorite Rush albums. After that I picked up any Rush album I saw that was a good deal, and I've enjoyed every single album of theirs I've purchased very much. I now own somewhere between 15 and 20 Rush albums.

Well i won't get into as detailed explanations, but:

i discovered metal through Metallica, who a friend introduced me to. at first i didn't like them, but after repeat listens i was addicted.

later i discovered Iron Maiden in a big record store by scanning the disc and listening. bought it instantly.

I heard Third Eye Blind on the radio... (yes, i know they are alternative, i still love them).

got introduced to Dream Theater by another friend. i was floored. bought all their CDs and took an interest in prog.

bought like 200 more prog and metal CDs.

found Ark, Arena, Zero Hour on lasercd.com and was hooked. bought like 200 more cds.

found Opeth from the song Drapery Falls. got most of their albums.

found more and more bands from progpower.de, lasercd.com, and this site.

King Crimson- When I was 13 I found a CD of my dads with the most attention grabbing cover, In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson. He put the album on and the appeal was immeadiateb when I heard 21st Century Schizoid Man. The harsh horn arragments and distorted vocals had an immeadiate appeal. However what really grasped me was the stunning break down in the middle of the song. You mean songs can be written this way!? Well I listened to the song almost everyday for a while before forgetting about the band. When I was 16 I started getting tired of the same rehashed albums I had been listening to (nu metal, modern rock, hip hop etc). I wanted something that challenged me. So I picked up this King Crimson comp. Only a week later I owned seven of their albums. One of the most talented and innovative bands ever, plain and simple.

Pink Floyd- My dad used to play them for me all the time when I was a kid, the songs were imprinted in my head. However when I got older my dad played them less for whatever reason and I sort of forgot everything they had ever done. After getting into King Crimson I began reading up on Pink Floyd. Picked up some of their more well known albums and loved them. Then I picked up some of their more avant-garde stuff like Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma, I love it all... well execept the post-Wall material...

Dead Can Dance- I was curious to find out more about so called "gothic" music, so I did some searches on Amazon.com, finding stuff ranging from awesome (ie Miranda Sex Garden) to awful (Black Tape for a Blue Girl), but nothing compared to the samples I heard of "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" by Dead Can Dance. I went out and picked the album up and was stunned. It just stabbed directly into the soul, the songs don't even need words to be understood. I've been snatching up everything I could by this duo ever since.

Opeth- Well doom and goth have some cross over so I ended up getting into Anathema. Anathema shares a lot of fans with My Dying Bride, so soon enough I was a huge MDB. MDB shares a lot of fans with Opeth so soon enough I was expirimenting with them. At first I was reluctant to listen due to the growled vocals. But finally I downloaded "The Moor" and was blown away. I wasn't sure how much I liked it, but I knew I was impressed. So finally I gave in and bought "Still Life". Soon enough I loved the extreme vocals, and not long after that I owned everything Opeth had ever done.

Agalloch- Soon enough I heard of this band similar to Opeth called Agalloch. I decided to check them out. They had their own unique sound which I really liked, but it really took a year or two for me to realize how much I love this band. I think I relate to Agalloch more then any other band I listen to...

Emperor- Well naturally once into metal I started expirimenting with various forms. I bought this Century Media Black Metal comp, and I really loved the majority of the songs on the album. "Thus Spake the Night Spirit" disapoined me however. I had heard so much about this band, but yet there seemed to be nothing special about it, and I thought the production was horrid. But slowly the song started growing on me, until eventually it became my favorite on the entire album. So I picked up Anthems... and slowly but surely it grew on me.

Ok I'm getting tired of this, so the last few will be concise...
Buruzm- You just find out about them when you get into black metal
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- a friend at school

Ok I'm too lazy to even do this...

Abyssic Hate - Liked the name of the band, so I bought "Suicidal Emotions" on the spur of the moment.

Destroyer 666
- Again, the band name interested me, I thought it'd be rediculous hyperblasting death metal, but I gave it a chance and listened to Phoenix Rising in a local store... after the first track, I was hooked, bought it, and got the rest not long after.

Sodom
- I heard about them here, checked out In the Sign of Evil, liked it but never got that into it... then a mate recommended me "Agent Orange", so when I eventualy got around to picking it up, I was utterly blown away.

Yep, King Crimson is another good one. I started with the same album. That guy Kyle recommended them to me, then I bought In The Court Of and Discipline.

I bought the lone Arcane Sun album after reading the positive review on LARM. That album has remained my favorite ever since. Quite simple, really.

When I was 10 I saw the video for 'One' on VH1 or something, and I said 'That's for me'. Went to a tiny record store (Zombies Music, if I recall correctly) that was only walking distance up the street, and bought Justice with birthday cash.

At 11, went to visit family in South Bend, and my cousin took me to some huge independant record store. Walked out of there with Dazig I & II (I heard that Jaymz sang backup on a song, so that was for me), Venom's 'Welcome To Hell' (cause it had devil shit on it, which was definately for me), and the "Cliff's First Show" bootleg, which made me want to play bass.

12th birthday (or thereabouts), sister took me to Borders and said 'Get whatever you want'. I got Reign In Blood, cause it had even more devil shit than Venom, which was even more for me. I think I heard 'Cemetary Gates' on TV around then too, and I'm still a life-long Pantera fan (It's Texas, everybody loves Pantera, shut up).

13, bought the first three Bathory albums cause they had more devil shit on them than anything I'd ever seen before. Also bought Emperor's 'Wrath Of The Tyrant', cause it was the first thing I'd ever heard about with devil shit AND technical riffs AND keyboards, so that was so totally for me.

14, Deicide and Morbid Angel, 'Legion' and 'Covenant', the new undisputed Most Devil Shit I'd Ever Seen. I also loved that I could play this stuff on my little headphones and still have it be loud and ugly enough to piss off my teachers.

15th Birthday: 'Deathcrush'. It has severed fucking hands on the cover for shits sake!!! I still listen to Mayhem every day. Before my next b-day, I also managed to find the only album I'd ever heard with cooler production than Mayhem, that being 'Transilvanian Hunger'. I listen to Darkthrone every day too.

16, went to visit a friend in VA, went to a Sam Goody in the mall, found this weird album with a scary chick-angel-thing on the cover and songs that were all 35 minutes long. 'Still Life' by Opeth. Sometime around there I also stumbled across Borknagar. I had a teacher who told me that all metal bands had shitty singers. I made him shut the hell up.

17, a friend played me the best cover of a Slayer song I'd ever heard, 'Raining Blood' from Vader's 'Live In Japan'. Bought 'De Profundis' soon after. I love Vader.

18, heard Mastadon's 'Where Strides The Behemoth' on College Radio. Also, DILLINGER *fucking* ESCAPE PLAN. Doesn't matter how, only that I found them. And that year I met this awesome young band from Arizona who were supporting Nuclear Assault. When the singer got off stage, I followed him to the merch booth and bought the first CD out of the box. Vehemence, still my favorite tech-death band ever, and 'God Was Created' had more devil shit than anything I'd bought in a while.

I don't think I've gotten into any bands who I'd consider 'favorites' since then.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane, but that was a lot of fun. Good thread! :headbang:

in '84, my uncle introdused me to No Life 'till Leather. Didn't buy any albums myself until '86, when I bought Master of Puppets, Killers and Reign in Blood. After that, I continued to buy records by mentioned bands. Had everything by everyone in '88, and even to this day, I buy everything they release, with the exception of Maiden, of whom I've grown tired.

Was introdused to extreme metal in '89, after listening to a lot of Morbid Angel, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Death and even some Hellhammer, although they were pretty obscure at the time.

When second wave black metal really kicked in here in Norway in '91, I started following that pretty closely. I listened to everything released by Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Immortal and Emperor, loving every aggresive inch of it.

I started following third wave black metal with Satyricon, and at the time, I thought they were superb. I still like their first two. :)

I guess i got introdused to melodeath in '91, when I heard Gardens of Grief. I instantly fell for it, and soon after I started listening to Dark Tranquillity. After that, it just balled on with In Flames, Eucharist, Opeth, Novembre, Hypocrisy, Edge of Sanity, Unmoored, Dissection, and so on.

And ever since, I've been following the norwegian and swedish metal scenes closely. It wasn't until I got a good internet connection that I was able to get more seriosuly aquinted with the foreign scenes. After joining these boards, I quickly discovered bands like Summoning, Weakling, Deathspell Omega, Moonblood, Deströyer 666 and such. Some of the only "foreign" bands I already knew were Graveland, Novembre and Stormlord.

So . . . thanks!

It sounds funny, but my grandmother bought me Iron Maiden - Fear of the dark (MC) and I still listen to this album.

A friend played Gallery of suicide and the next day I listened to all Cannibal Corpse albums in a store.

This is how I got into metal.

Discovered Metallica any years ago by an ex-gf.
Went to harder stuff like Dark Tranquillity by downloading their MP3s. Then discovered In Flames when people on forums talk about the comparison of DT and In Flames. This forum has helped me discover other great bands... too many to list.

Went to a Symphony X / Blind Guardian concert because my cousins had an extra ticket.

Err, wait, I thought this was "what made you start listening to metal". A couple of my favorite bands were recommended to me by my cousin and the rest I found myself or heard about here.

Rap from 1988-1999
Nu-Metal 1999-2002(disturbed got me into nu-metal)
Metal-2002-present and forever(opeth got me into metal)

(2002)I went to the wherehouse after class one day and was looking for an obscure CD(stupid me didn't know the wherehouse sucked at the time :/) I noticed an opeth cd by chance and picked it up. The cd plastic said the album was a great cd...blah blah blah. So I took the chance and bought the cd hoping it would be awesome :O....
Well I started listening to it and the growling took me by surprise.. It was the first time I had heard growling in my life so it was a very shocking moment. I put the cd away and didn't listen to it. Eventually I started to dl older opeth songs out of curiousity and was blown away. I gave BWP another chance and did end up enjoying quite a bit. Since then I've burnt out listening to opeth and have been listening to as many artists as possible.

Discovered metal from a few kids in Southgate(Michigan) that listened to Metallica a lot. I found it interesting. I was 13 or something.

Ayreon - Around 1999 or 2000, I got sick of all the stuff that was around, until I heard this progressive rock show that was on a college radio station. It was called In The Flesh Radio. I heard Lana Lane's "Secrets of Astrology" album and heard the name Arjen Anthony Lucassen as one of the guitarists. The following week, I remember hearing one of 2 Ayreon songs. It was either "Beyond the Last Horizon" or "Ayreon's Fate". Either way, I was floored. Then the show played the Ayreonauts Only album. After that I bought The Dream Sequencer and liked it, and a few weeks later and bought Flight of the Migrator and . . .:Spin: liked it a lot.

Dream Theater - Same radio show. They played a few songs from James Labrie's second Mullmuzzler album. I loved his voice. That's right. I heard James LaBrie on his own before hearing DT. I eventually downloaded the Glass Prison a few weeks before Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence came out, and bought the CD as soon as it was released.

Opeth - Progged Radio used to play the song "harvest" constantly a few years ago. So I preceded to download 'Dirge for November" and liked it. Summer of 2001, I picked up the Special Edition of Blackwater Park. Bleak was a real treat at the time.

Threshold - In the Flesh Radio, again. LIstened to the song Narcissus from Hypothetical, and made sure to have it recorded on tape. I eventually bought Critical Mass, and Subsurface later on.

Dan Swanö - By now, I was a total Arjen Lucassen fanboy. After hearing Star One and liking Dan's singing, I downloaded "Uncreation" from good ol' Audiogalaxy. It wasn't what I expected, but it was 10 times better. Bought Moontower almost immediately, and proceeded to download a few Nightingale songs after coming to Ultimate Metal and finding out more about Dan. In the process of buying EOS(I own Crimson and C2) and Nightingale(I own Alive Again).

Symphony X - I was still in Ayreon fanboy mode, and 'Dawn of a Million' was, and still is, probably the greatest thing I've ever listned to, and Russell Allen became a singer I had to hear almost 24/7. Then, In the Flesh Radio played the V: The New Mythology Suite album in full. I'd eventually buy it, after downloading Evolution and Egypt.

The Grimace said:
12th birthday (or thereabouts), sister took me to Borders and said 'Get whatever you want'. I got Reign In Blood, cause it had even more devil shit than Venom, which was even more for me. I think I heard 'Cemetary Gates' on TV around then too, and I'm still a life-long Pantera fan (It's Texas, everybody loves Pantera, shut up).

Bullshit. :D

i befriended a metalhead my first year of college and he got me into Metallica, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden. Then his best friend got me into all sorts of cool stuff like Opeth and Anathema and Ayreon. Ayup.