Bands that blew your mind...

Dream Theater- the name speaks for itself
LTE-wow
Planet X
Opeth-I can't get past the growls, but the music is unbelievable.
Spastic Ink/Spiral Architect-how on earth do they memorize the songs?
Jason Becker-genius
Yngwie-my first neo classical metal album. After many listens, he gets repetitive.
Pain of Salvation-emotion, emotion, emotion, great music, great albums

Hrm....

Sonata Arctica... hey! They are what is considered my "gateway" to metal. :p Then there came...

Blind Guardian. They deserve every single fan which they have.

Dream Evil... woo, each song is catchy and ultra powerful. And finally...

Symphony X. Me likes. :tickled:

MuDvAyNe. never stopped lovin' em

urm..... there's really not many bands that have literally kicked me in the face and made me go WOW, even after multiple listens...but there were a few

Krisiun - first song I ever heard was Iron Stakes....and fuck.....if there was ever a single, all-time DEATH METAL compilation, Iron Stakes would be on it. Krisiun are just so uncompromising its wonderful.

Neuraxis - complex and brutal...but I was totally floored by the melodic touches and almost rockish riffs they throw in the mix flawlessly. oh, and the drums. DROOL. the drumming! especially on the earlier albums.

Soilwork! of course!!! it really only happened with A Predator's Portrait, but after half a dozen or so spins, I just realised it was a GODLY album by a GODLY band. I still worship it utterly.

just recently, Lamb of God. i've never been huge into the sort of straight-up METAL hardcore/metalcore tinged sort of genre, but JEEBUS!!!! as the palaces burn is TOTALLY FUCKING KICKING MY FAT LITTLE HAIRY WHITE ASS!!!

Corporation 187. when I first heard My Life To Kill....floored. the rest of that CD is the same.

Debodified - brutal, heavy, intensely heavy production, good riffs, mind bogglingly amazingly cool drumming

Avulsed - bought their latest without having heard them before and it kicked my butt. i bought the album before and its just as good which is awesome.

Blood Red Throne - the big daddy after mudvayne, EVERY song i've heard from them bar one on their latest album is just so damn catchy but at the same time brutal..and some downright EVIL and rhythms.

Suffocation - When I first heard "Liege of Inveracity" - First was Frank's gutteral roar, then at the end when the slow sludgey riff comes in over the blasting double bass.

Symphony X - When I heard Romeo's guitar playing I was floored, then when I saw his training video and saw what he was actually playing I was doubly impressed.

At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours - Starts off with a violin? Then goes into some raging death metal with the two distinct guitar lines playing at the same time, never heard it before them.

In Flames - Behind Space, great song.

Emperor - First time I heard the break in "The Majesty of the nightsky" I was floored.

Pantera !
I heard "Mouth for War" from"A Vulgar Display of Power" and I shit my pants ! These guy's were fucking BRUTAL ! Dimebag blew me away the first moment I heard him and Phil Anselmo to this day is the king of metal voices ! It's just too bad he's doing Super Joint Ritual who suck major ass ! I'd love to see if Pantera could make up and give us one more brutal album like "Vulgar" and then put Pantera to rest.........very unlikely, but I can dream ! LOL !

Emperor. Prometheus was the first black metal album I ever listened to, and while thats nothing like their best release (I still like it though :p ), that led onto their earlier stuff. If it wasn't for Emperor, I wouldn't be listening to death metal.

Opeth-when I first got Morningrise

Esoteric: The way this band makes me feel is indescribable

In The Woods....-Omnio, a beautiful album

Emperor-Anthems to the Welkin aT Dusk. I bought this album some 6 years ago or so and it has never ceased to blow me waway with each listen. My first 'true' BM album.

Morgion-Solinair: One of the greates doom releases of all time and it never ceases to floor me 5 years after its release

Cryptopsy-Noe So Vile:

Gorguts-Obscura: the technicality of this album is mindblowing

Darkthrone-Ablazer in the nothern Sky: I never tire of this album

Nile. If Conan was metal it would sound like this...such clever guys too, Metal mixed with the traditional eastern instruments. The lyrics for Unas are over 4000 years old, they're actually a concise translation of the Pyramid Texts...Nice

My 1st Metal cd was in 1993 with Entombed: Wolverine's Blues cd thru the help of Headbanger's Ball where they aired the music video for the song "Wolverine's Blues". That cd got me into Death Metal American and Swedish.

Then in 1996 (I think), I mistaken Iced Earth's cd "Dark Saga" with Spawn the Movie soundtrack and I learn it wasn't the soundtrack. Iced Earth's sound blew me away with old-skool Metal sound.

Death - Suicide Machine & Together As One set the standards for technicality in metal and prog period.

Decoryah - obscure experimental doom act from finland. fits more in line with coil and similar dark ambient music than traditional metal.

Aesma Daeva - The perfect mix of guitars, electronics and overall atmosphere. The vocals are so elegant and operatic it puts band like Nightwish and the Gathering to shame. Aesmadaevaaesmadaevaaesmadaeva.