Bands that CHANGED YOUR LIFE

Kara-Shehr

Sep 2, 2010
list them, doesn't have to be all metal bands either try to keep it short

heres mine:

Slayer - show no mercy was the first metal album I had ever bought and became obsessed with them after. I was ten years old when I heard them

Iron Maiden - made me really believe in music being more than just something you hear on the radio and can tap your foot to

Korn - may sound cliche but helped me through some dark times in my life especially my childhood

Slipknot - see korn

Emperor - got me into BM

Burzum - his music takes me to another place one of the greatest musicians of our time

Dream Theater - see iron maiden

Nile - got me into death metal

Behemoth - musicianship, lyrics, songwriting, and inovation

EDIT: Metallica I can't believe I forgot. My dad had the Black Album on tape and he threw it in one day when I was REALLY young and it was like the heaviest most intense shit I had ever heard in my fucking life until Slayer came along of course and I got my hands on Reign In Blood

the thread would be more interesting if you explained how/why it changed your life. like how you were before you heard the band and afterwards, etc. otherwise its just another bunch of lists

Probably just Metallica because they got me into metal and Opeth because they got me into more harsh vocals. That changed my musical life? :p

Typical but Slayer. I had no idea music could be so mean and intense before I listened to them.

- Iron Maiden - The classic stuff is pure gold.
- Metallica - the gateway to Metal as a whole. I still love the first four albums.
- Sepultura - Beneath the Remains and Arise had both a huge impact down here, for obvious reasons.
- Death - One of my first "extreme" albums was Leprosy :worship:
- Darkthone - My first BM band, started digging deeper after getting some of their albums

Bush got me into music.
Korn got me into heavy music.
Metallica got me into good heavy music.
Opeth got me into good heavy underground/experimental/international music.

Dream Theater - Images and words, and the song "finally free", brings back a lot of memories
in flames - the jester race, my first real extreme metal album around 2004-2005 when I was maybe 14 or 15. Forgetting dates.
agalloch - my introduction into the possible "nature" sound of music.
evergrey - same as dream theater, and also have some really emotionally powerful songs.

In chronological order:

Metallica - the Black Album got me into metal and really music in general

Dream Theater - got me into progressive music

Opeth - first sorta heavy band and first band with growls

Gojira - I checked them out because of their name, and from that point on I realized there were more good bands aside from Symphony X, DT, and Opeth and became the music junkie I am today

Black Sabbath - saw Heaven And Hell in concert, got into the classic bands (Priest, Sabbath, Maiden)

Negura Bunget - 'Om' got me into black metal in general, which is now my favorite genre

Nile - got me into death metal

Absu - probably the biggest influence on my songwriting, made me realize that riffs could be made up of long tremelo picked melodies

Warning - who knew music could be so sad?

Sleep - Jesus Christ, those stoners are so fucking spiritual (eventually led me to more bands like Om and Ancestors)

Manilla Road - wait a second, old school underground metal is amazing too!

geez, really too many to mention.

Black Sabbath(that Iron Man riff hooked me, and although I didn't know the lyrics, I'd make up random lyrics that fit with the riff)
Pantera(my bro would blast Vulgar Display of power, and I'd hear it and love it)
what ever bands were on Twisted Metal 3 (would rock that shit when I was 8 on my walkman)
Metallica(black album was my first metal album and a year later, I got MoP and AJFA, shit was fucking intense)
Slayer(first extreme metal I heard)

White/Rob Zombie

I had heard metallica and korn and a few other "heavier bands" but this was the first evil (albeit cartoony) music I had ever heard.

Chevelle (first sorta "favorite band" when I first got my iPod in 7th grade)

Tool (favorite band for a good 4 years before I got into metal, probably have 10,000 plays from them or something)

Metallica (Ride the Lightning was the first physical CD I ever bought, and my first metal addiction a good 2-3 years before I got into most metal)

Opeth (I liked Isis beforehand because I saw them open for Tool, but Opeth really got me into metal, harsh vocals, folk, prog, etc. - essentially made me a music nut)

Deathspell Omega (The first time I heard "Obombration", I knew that riff and the vocals were the most evil thing I'd ever heard, ultimately led me to look deeper into darker death/black metal, and thus defined my tastes in metal for a while)

Katatonia (Their first four albums gave me a real love for sad/beautiful music, defining another big portion of my tastes)

And some honorable mentions off the top of my head I guess:
Pink Floyd
Judas Priest
Slayer
Dead Congregation
Porcupine Tree
Camel

Metallica - got me into music listening in general
Green Day - inspired me to play the guitar...
Napalm Death/Cannibal Corpse/The Black Dahlia Murder - got me into much heavier music
Suicidal Tendencies - just helped me find my own outlook on life

Megadeth - got me into metal. first metal band I really loved.
Morbid Angel (Altars of Madness specifically) - heard this for the first time at 14-15 years old. and I was like.. fucking wow. this is some evil intense shit I can't believe music is this crazy!! I need to hear more!!

KISS for me at around the age of three,from then on I was a metalhead but really it was W.A.S.P. at around 9 or 10.From there it was Metallica,Suicidal Tendencies,Slayer,Exodus ect.Morbid Angel and Darkthrone were what got me into the extreme stuff.