Name some classic metal bands for me.

Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Not any cheesey hair bands.

Nothing like Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd. I know that's not metal, but I thought that some people would say that...and I'm already into that.

I grew up listening to that, and when I was around 9 I listened to Metallica and Alice in Chains with my sister, so I missed out on all the classic metal bands.

I'm just getting into Black Sabbath, if they count. I'm checking out Iron Maiden and Judas Preist right now. I don't like Slayer.

So...just name some classic metal bands for me, if you don't mind. Thanks.

You dont like slayer- for shame- well anyway how about Celtic Frost- Hellhammer, Death, Testament who are still kicking ass, Atheist, Forbidden, Morbid Angel, Voivod, Queensryche, Yngwie, Iron Maiden, Dark Angel, Exodus, Cynic, Megadeth- these are just bands from the 80's and the list goes on and on - try em all- it really depends on what style you prefer, but I like to try all metal styles- and all styles of music- who knows maybe you will end up digging Slayer- especially if you see one of their concerts

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Kreator, Motorhead, Exodus, Sodom that's all of the old school metal bands that i can think of right now

Classic Metal typically revolves around the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (and the bands that just preceded the era):

Iron Maiden - arguably the greatest metal band ever
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Deep Purple
Venom
Motorhead
Def Leppard
Budgie
Diamond Head
Rainbow
Thin Lizzy
Gary Moore

Then there's the bands from the euro-continent: Mercyful Fate, Scorpions, UDO, Michael Schenker Group etc.

Anything from the Bay Area thrash era (or indeed ANY metal category today) was spawned from the above in some shape or form, so probably doesn't count as "classic" metal (especially since you said that you already know Metallica etc).

Hope this helps. :)

I'm digging Iron Maiden, but are they satanic? I remember reading an article or something that they weren't, but I'm just curious.

Judas Priest sounds...old, lol.

Deep Purple only has one good song from what I've heard.

Don't like Def Leppard.

Mercyful Fate's music is pretty good, but those vocals :lol: Terrible!

Thanks for the help all!

I really like the little I've heard from Ozzy. Black Sabbath's Paranoid album is on the way to me right now. I think I might buy Blizzard of Oz...that's the one with "Crazy Train" right?

I'm selling all my old alt. rock bullshit to pay for my metal these days. I'm loving this!

Originally posted by Fervisson

I grew up listening to that, and when I was around 9 I listened to Metallica and Alice in Chains with my sister, so I missed out on all the classic metal bands.

It's refreshing to know there are peolpe out there still interested in learning about the metal forefathers - I commend you for that!

I define classic metal as those bands who have made an imprint on the genre, and who have stood the test of time. Give these bands a try...you don't have to like them, but at least know they're out there:

Alice Cooper, Rainbow (not really metal, per se, but they've had a definite influence on the sound)
Samson
Praying Mantis
Venom
Riot
Fates Warning
Witchfynde
Dio
Manowar
Queensryche
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Running Wild
Rage
Saxon
Diamond Head
Trouble
Armored Saint
Savatage
Anthrax
Exodus
Forbidden
Mercyful Fate
Candlemass
Manilla Road
Kreator
Megadeth
Death Angel
Coroner
Helloween
Testament
Satan
Omen
Destruction
Annihilator
W.A.S.P.

Some of these are more well-known than others, of course, so if you like what you hear of those, then seek out some of the obscure stuff. Good luck!

Gotta add some of the classics I know but before I do, Led Zepplin ain't metal? you need shooting lol. Led Zepplin to me have always been metal to some they may not sound it, because they are used to the likes of Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I was brought up on the sounds of Deep Purple and Led Zepplin and to me they were metal before Sabbath and I have mentioned this on the board before. Any how I won't go over the ones people have already mentioned so I'll just add a few.

Hawkwind
Nazareth
Uriah Heep
Magnum
UFO
Angelwitch
Winger
Whitesnake
T-rex - hard rock
ZZ Top
Rainbow
AC/DC

Theres loads more thoese are the ones that I grew up on along with loads of the others mentioned.

Oh and Iron Maiden are not Satanic, but they are a great bunch of blokes and if you liked Maiden then check out Iced Earth, although they are power metal they are a mix of Metallica, Iron Maiden and a bit of Manowar. Also Manowar the legends of power metal are worth a checking out.

ACCEPT!!! Simply amazing, try Prisoner, Metal Heart, Neon Nights or pretty much anything you can get your hands on.