someone recomend some bands with good vocalists.

madcheese9377 said:
Man, I love Dio, he kicked so much ass in Black Sabbath! I've got four of his Dio albums and two when he was with Black Sabbath. And Iommi (I think.)did some of his best guitar work when Dio was in the band. Ever see the video to rainbow in the dark? I couldn't stop laughing at the boots he was wearing.
Does any one know where I can find that album he helped record called STARS. The one with Rob Halford, Sebastian Bach, and a bunch of other great singers and guitarists.

You're definitely a man of good taste, for the most part.

The Stars song was just a 12" vinyl and cassette tape single if I'm correct. You can probably find an mp3 of it anywhere.

Anyway, as for recommendations:

Jag Panzer (Harry Conklin is a vocal god)

Virgin Steele (David Defeis gives 110%, and is one of the greatest songwriters in Metal history)

Crimson Glory (the first two albums)

Cirith Ungol (Imagine Iron Butterfly becoming a full on Metal band with Ian Gillan on speed as their vocalist)

Fates Warning (Awaken The Guardian and The Spectre Within. John Arch is one of the five greatest singers of all time in Metal)

Tad Morose (The recent albums - You'll love these guys. Imagine mid-era Metal Church, except with much more simple and somewhat more Thrashy compositions)

I love it. All these new bands to check out, Tad Morose! I heard that band on some Direct tv channel I love his vocals too. I just love all those bands that are heavy like Anthrax-fist full of metal and the vocalist are simular. Man, I'm gonna spend a lot of money this year. More shit to get inspired from for songs and riffs, I'll be writing even better after I buy the second cd. Thanks bros, -RJAIII-

Crowbar is sludgey and boring. Its like a talentless version of pantera, or for that matter, post-far beyond driven-pantera, heh.

Dio is the most overrated vocalist of all time. *yawn*

My favourite vocalist would probably to be Tomas Lindberg. Try At The Gates.

TaylorC said:
Dio, Symphony X, Saviour Machine, Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Opeth, Iced Earth, Ayreon, Orphaned Land, Led Zeppelin (hehe, couldnt resist), Vintersorg

Agreed with most of it, except Dream Theater and Stratovarius as they sound abit cheesy for me. I would add Nevermore(weird off key vocals, that fit...somehow) and In the Woods... has a pretty good vocalist, male and female. As with Asmegin. Agalloch also has good vocals. The last 3 bands mentioned also have harsh vocals, so you might be turned off by it.

He's asking for melodic singers.

That said, Dio's pretty good, though just a little cheesy.

Crowbar are pretty good.

misfit said:
My favourite vocalist would probably to be Tomas Lindberg. Try At The Gates.

Tomas Lindberg is an annoying yelper with barely any vocal talent whatsoever, if anything HE'S overrated as fuck. Same with At The Gates and their future incarnate which is one of the worst bands of all time.

EDIT: Stratovarius is a riffless wonderland with a passable singer, and Nevermore is terrible - The music itself resembles the stupidity of bands such as Machine Head, and Warrel Dane sounds like he TRIES to be off key all the time.

Jean-Pierre said:
Tomas Lindberg is an annoying yelper with barely any vocal talent whatsoever, if anything HE'S overrated as fuck. Same with At The Gates and their future incarnate which is one of the worst bands of all time.

EDIT: Stratovarius is a riffless wonderland with a passable singer, and Nevermore is terrible - The music itself resembles the stupidity of bands such as Machine Head, and Warrel Dane sounds like he TRIES to be off key all the time.
Lindberg really wasn't a vocal genius, but he sure as hell packed emotion into every raspy inhuman yelp. Not overrated, but also not what the thread creator was looking for.

Don't like Nevermore? I figured. You seem to hate chugging groovy riffs.

*waits for response where he lists an OBVIOUS, DUH example of a band with groovy riffs that lack any of the alt-metal atmosphere that Nevermore and Machine Head capture*

I agree, Dane's voice is an acquired taste.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Don't like Nevermore? I figured. You seem to hate chugging groovy riffs.

*waits for response where he lists an OBVIOUS, DUH example of a band with groovy riffs that lack any of the alt-metal atmosphere that Nevermore and Machine Head capture*

I agree, Dane's voice is an acquired taste.

I enjoy groove when it's done certain ways and to the point (Sabbath, Pro-Pain, a few Pantera songs, the second Exhorder album, etc.). You caught me. :D

madcheese9377 said:
You close minded bastard! just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you gotta be an ass!

Close minded??? If I was close minded I wouldn't have listened to the song and I would have immediately said that it sucks but no, I gave it a try and it is ( in my opinion, which I try to keep as objective as possible ) a really, really bad song. Now, calling me a close minded bastard without knowing me is being ( in a certain way ) close minded.

Crowbar is my favorite band so don't bitch about them please. Dio is not over rated, he's under rated, how many of his songs do any radio stations play?(not including K.N.O.N) I also liked Iced Earth better before Ripper, Ripper is good and all but not as good as the other guy. Nevermore is good too, but only for a certain amount of time.
Hey MeloDeath, where are you located? And how did you hear about/get into Crowbar?
I was watching Beavis and Butt-head and they were watching one of their videos, and I was on a hooked instantly.

Hello mofly.
AsModEe said:
Close minded??? If I was close minded I wouldn't have listened to the song and I would have immediately said that it sucks but no, I gave it a try and it is ( in my opinion, which I try to keep as objective as possible ) a really, really bad song. Now, calling me a close minded bastard without knowing me is being ( in a certain way ) close minded.
You seem alittle tense. I'm sorry, I like to be an ass too. but I like to get people riled up to get more shit to read. Don't get too offended.

(Oprah is hot.)

madcheese9377 said:
Crowbar is my favorite band so don't bicth about them please. Dio is not over rated, he's under rated, how many of his songs do any radio stations play?(not including K.N.O.N) I also liked Iced Earth better before Ripper, Ripper is good and all but not as good as the other guy. Nevermore is good too, but only for a certain amount of time.
Hey MeloDeath, where are you located? And how did you hear about/get into Crowbar?
I was watching Beavis and Butt-head and they were watching one of their videos, and I was on a hooked instantly.

"huh huh, he sounds like he's defecating, huh huh" :D

madcheese9377 said:
Pro-Pain is pretty good, I can't listen to the album twice in one week but I like them.

Eh, just fun, simple, to the point groove Metal with the occasional Thrashy part. Beats the fuck outta Hatebreed. :p