Good Subtle Vocalists...

Episteme

Jul 10, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
Well, lately I've been trying to get my vocals up to par along with my other instrumentation and songwriting so I need some really good bands that have vocalists that aren't too operatic(i.e most Power Metal bands) also I'm not really looking for female vocalists as well. My voice is more suited to stuff like Thom Yorke from Radiohead, Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, the dude from Winds etc.

I'm just looking for recommendations for metal bands/rock/anything else. It'd be cool if the recommendations are some with really good songwriting as well, I don't look for bands with exceptional technical talent but incoherent, boring songwriting. Cheers guys.

Subtle vocal delivery should have no place in Metal. Go listen to some alternative rock (certain Faith No More songs), maybe Alice In Chain's self-titled album; that's what you're looking for...

Jean-Pierre said:
Subtle vocal delivery should have no place in Metal. Go listen to some alternative rock (certain Faith No More songs), maybe Alice In Chain's self-titled album; that's what you're looking for...
I agree, I prefer the death style vocals in metal, I also happen to like Warrel Dane a lot. But when it comes to metal, I like intensity, the harsher the vocals the better.

@Chaos-Try some old King's X.

AjDeath said:
I agree, I prefer the death style vocals in metal, I also happen to like Warrel Dane a lot. But when it comes to metal, I like intensity, the harsher the vocals the better.

@Chaos-Try some old King's X.

Well, I was also meaning powerful clean singing with lots of soul (Halford, Dickinson, Biff Byford, Tim Owens, you know what I mean - Basically Heavy fucking Metal singing). When I hear "Subtle vocalist" I think of goth rock like Moonspell or alternative rock.

Jean-Pierre said:
Well, I was also meaning powerful clean singing with lots of soul (Halford, Dickinson, Biff Byford, Tim Owens, you know what I mean - Basically Heavy fucking Metal singing). When I hear "Subtle vocalist" I think of goth rock like Moonspell or alternative rock.
I dig. DIckinson and Chuck Billy are where I draw the line, but there are other exceptions.

Two of thwe former sabbath vocalists are really good, Ronnie Dio and Tony Martin. For something more modern, Tad Morose and Vanden Plas would be good choices. Vanden Plas are a melodic prog band, but the lead vocalist doesn't have one of those superb naturally gifted voices. He uses subtelety and experience and his theatrical (not to be confused with operatic) style. Tad Morose is considered "power metal" but the vocalist sounds more like maybe Ronnie Dio as opposed to those super high typical Euro power metal bands. He is really good.

Bryant

Try Anathema's more recent albums (Judgement or A Natural Disaster). They have a lot of slow singing thats kinda similar to Opeths clean parts. I also do some singing and I usually practice to Opeth's Damnation album. I'm unable to sing any "aggressive" clean vocals but the slow and more emotional stuff from Opeth and Anathema works for me.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
That's fair enough. I enjoy vocalists like Dickinson, Halford and Chuck Billy, but it's not something I'd enjoy singing plus my vocal range isn't that high. Thanks anyway.

I wasn't recommending them as subtle! O.O

Tool is a good idea. Maynard James Keenan's voice is pretty cool, it's not high whatsoever, but really can be strange.

Also try some Falconer. Falconer is power metal, but Mathias Blad sings in a deeper voice. Get the debut album. Mathias doesn't sing on the newest release "The Sceptre of Deception".

Ronnie James Dio is a good idea.

Continue with the opeth.

Possibly some grunge type stuff too....Pearl jam comes to mind.

I'll try thinking of more or going through my albums. I'm also into vocals and like to sing along to various hard rock and metal bands, especially metallica, opeth, black sabbath, etc.