Recommend Very Depressing Metal

Half the bands here don't really deserve the tag "depressing", Skepticism for example are incredibly uplifting, just listen to The Gallant Crow. I don't personally feel that there's a place for the "depressing" in music at all though, nobody listens to music to depress themselves whatever they claim.

The Timebird said:
Half the bands here don't really deserve the tag "depressing", Skepticism for example are incredibly uplifting, just listen to The Gallant Crow. I don't personally feel that there's a place for the "depressing" in music at all though, nobody listens to music to depress themselves whatever they claim.

Do people listen to music to anger themselves? It' just music, that's a style of sound that I sometimes prefer because it can apply musically to how I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes the music does depress me or makes it worse but sometimes I prefer that, being depressed can be a positive thing if you use it properly, just like being angry.

ProjectedBlack said:
Do people listen to music to anger themselves? It' just music, that's a style of sound that I sometimes prefer because it can apply musically to how I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes the music does depress me or makes it worse but sometimes I prefer that, being depressed can be a positive thing if you use it properly, just like being angry.
Exactly. It's not like depressing music makes you more depressed and angry music makes you more angry. Natrually, people strive to be happy, but I don't listen to any happy music at all, because I don't like it.

ProjectedBlack said:

I find the possibility of ever desiring actual depression questionable. Finding beauty and meaning in the gloomy or melancholic is something else entirely. Maybe I'm just being pedantic...

The Timebird said:
I find the possibility of ever desiring actual depression questionable. Finding beauty and meaning in the gloomy or melancholic is something else entirely. Maybe I'm just being pedantic...
I agree. It's not like I want to be derepssed. I just am, so I like depressing music because of that - because I can kind of relate to it, and it makes me feel better in a weird way.

The Timebird said:
I find the possibility of ever desiring actual depression questionable. Finding beauty and meaning in the gloomy or melancholic is something else entirely.

Yup. Ved Buens Ende and Esoteric make me pretty happy. ;)

I'd say Sentenced, not the old albums like North from here and Amok but the newer ones ^^

'Shadows of The Past' the first Sentenced(the death metal one) has some depressing parts. It's death metal but has some slower doomy type parts. Not really depressing in a way like Mourning Beloveth,etc.. but alittle depressing sometimes. North From Here is a lot faster. You can see the band discovering Iron Maiden and doing some crack(haha j/k).

Sentenced needs to reform one more time with Taneli Jarva doing something musically like North From Here or even Amok. I can't believe their last album has the annoying vocalist from At The Gates.

I know their name pops up in just about every thread here, but once again, Primordial must be mentioned. Some of their songs are very depressing, both in lyric and sound: The Coffin Ships, Bitter Harvest, Autumn's Ablaze, End of All Times, Cast to the Pyre, Cities Carved in Stone, etc.