Bands that blew your mind...

Killswitch engage - i was just marvelously surprised to what they actually were as compared to what i had heard.

hatebreed - just love their raw intensity

slayer - pure energy

more that im too lazy to put

Dimmu Borgir - I was checking into more extreme stuff through a Terrorizer Magazine(I bought it cause fear factory, rammstein and h3llbent were in it haha)... and I came across a Susperia interview... well I checked them out since they said something about bridging the gap between black metal and thrash... and well I thought they sucked(and still do)... anyways Dimmu were in that issue so I checked out a song off of PEM... godamn was I blown away... before that I was the typical guy who thought Orchestral music belonged nowhere near anything heavy... heh
Opeth - They were actually the first band with Death metal growls that I got into... I was into Dimmu, In Flames, and The Kovenant(oh shit what was i thinking than)... and than I heard of Opeth being melodic death... so I picked up a copy of Blackwater Park... fuck... simply amazing.
Symphony X - actually just the other day these guys "blew my mind"... thanks to Dream Theater and bands like that I previously had been extremly unopen to Prog bands... well I grabbed a ride from a friend and he was blasting symphony x's V: the new mythology suite... holy shit
Axis of Perdition - I've never heard an Industrial metal band like this.... fuck I want more... closest thing I've heard to some of TGs stylings in a while

At the Gates- When i heard Slaughter of the Soul i was in utter awe. I didn't know such brutality could be so eloquently mixed with melody and result in a masterpiece. They got me hooked on the whole Gothenburg sound and that's been my favorite genre of music ever since. Other bands worth the mention are:

Emperor
Dissection
Opeth
CoF
Dark Tranquillity
Kalmah

Death - Just so damn good, like someone else said both technical and harsh and aggressive....so good.

Arch Enemy - I was eating fruit loops one morning and turned on this music channel out of boredom and it was on some metal show and I saw their video for ravenous and I was like, holy shit.

Iced Earth - One of my first metal bands. Bought stormrider and didn't know what to think. :p

Rush - Each album I buy I get more amazed at these guys. Brilliant musicians.

Macabre - My first death metal band, these guys are hilarious too.

Opeth - when I first heard them, I couldn't believe a band this talented at weaving melodic, ethereal passages to intense metal tracks could have stayed largely unnoticed for so long...

Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro arrived at a point when I was tired of the circus-of-horrors keyboard laden crap that black metal was largely turning into, so a blast of utter malevolence as powerful as that contained within tracks like 'Pandemonic Hyperblast' reaffirmed my love of the genre.

I'm surprised at the majority of Opeth fans that said "I didn't like them when I first heard them"
I think all those Opeth haters need to throw some more of Opeth's genius back into the mix and get a second opinion.

These 4 CDs got me into black metal - I think they're all mind-blowingly good:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Aeternus - And So The Night Became
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

Encouraged by this, I downloaded "Colossus" by Borknagar, and that song is just
unbeliveably good. Never has my mind been so thoroughly mind-blowed than when
I listened to Colossus and other Borknagar songs for the first time. The same
thing happened when I listened to Emperor's "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk"

1.Opeth
2.Katatonia wath can i say? a league of their own, definetly...

3.My Dying Bride
4.The Provenance
5.Virgin Black

there are of course many more bands(mostly gothic, doom) that is reee-
aly good to, like October Tide and Shape of Despair. the five listed above is although very special.

Metallica- I used to not listen to music at all. I'd listen to occasional mainstream music before school in the morning. Then I discovered this band about senior year in high school. Changed my whole fucking life. Made me feel a part of something. Something I could I identify with.

Dark Tranquility- It took me 3 listens to get mindfucked by them. When I finally did I was in exctasy. Uhh thats mispelled but I could care less. There In is a godly song.

In Flames- Behind Space made me come my pants. This song hasthe coolest fucking riff I ever heard in a song ever.

Blind Guardian- This is the band I always dreamed of but never thought existed. Intil I found them.

Iced Earth- Matt Barlows vox gives me the chills. We will see how owens does.

Thats all I can think of now.

Children of Bodom; when I first heard Hatebreeder it almost immediately cought me. I am a fan ever since (1,5 yrs ago)

Finntroll; weird that at the first time I didnt really like their music, I've heard Slaget Vid Blödsalv and I thought "What the hell is this crap" then I downloaded Jaktens Tid (the album) and my opinion changed 180°. Now I can say that they are my ultimate favorite band.

Neurosis - Ive never heard a band create more powerful opressive, heavy, and depressing music ever. Mind-blowing.

Tool - Lateralus got me into progressive music in general.

Opeth - Quickly became my favorite band after buying BWP after only hearing one song once. (theyve been dethroned by neurosis now though)

In Flames - Colony and Whoracle defined pure kick-ass music to me. Riff after riff of metal greatness. Those were my first two, and now i have all and love all.