How did you get into metal?

I heard kids talking about Children of Bodom a lot so I decided to give them a listen. And that led to Pantera and other bands.

As everyone, I had the whole Nu-Metal phase.
After that, I started changing tastes, and ended up being into indie.

I never had a Nu-Metal phase. Although when I was getting into Rock I had a Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan phase. It lasted about 2 months. I never really hated Metal, just never liked it. But then I got into it through Children of Bodom. I've always been open. I can remember watching a special on Pantera in 6th grade before I even listened to Rock I actually liked the stuff they played but because it was a special they didn't play a lot of their music. My brother said "They suck" when he saw me watching it. But now he likes Pantera.

Yep... Can't wait to fucking leave... Do you come from Leicester? It says you are from Wales...

Lol.

But yeah, I began life in Leicester. Moved down here a couple of years ago because of my dads work. Nothing exciting, just a technician or something for a company that makes food for marks and sparks.

i liked korn quite a bit, then acid bath, then i just kept gettin into heavier stuff

I can honestly say I've never liked a nu metal band.

I guess I failed to mention that before hearing Opeth (and thus, my first introduction to "extreme metal") I listened to a lot of NIN, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Christian Death, and other goth/industrial/deathrock shit.

It was 2005 and I was playing MLB 2006. The soundtrack had some altrock with screaming and I thought it was super heavy. I checked them out on iTunes and really liked it for about a month.

Then someone mentioned Slayer on a forum and I went and downloaded some (legally :p). It blew my mind. From then on I was totally hooked.

After that I slowly zeroed in on what I liked best, culminating in me buying Suffocation and Devourment in the summer of 06.

before metal i only listened to punk mainly (which i still like), but a few kids at school were blaring underoath(mallcore, but w/e) and i really liked the screaming. That lead me to as i lay dying, which led me to all that remains and bullet for my valentine. i then heard lamb of god. And i eventually got into death and thrash metal

Before the end of '03 I was mostly into classical and classic rock, while I despised anything that had to do with MTV and that scene (which my older sister was enslaved to). I was also a fan of Dragonball Z and I watched it every day on Cartoon Network. About that time I was introduced to P2P apps such as Kazaa and Ares, with which I downloaded Dragonball Z video clips. Among these video clips were music videos set to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit songs. Through these videos I got into Nu-Metal. It was mainly those bands, plus System of a Down and Slipknot that I would download songs using Kazaa.

Towards that same time I was on the high school wrestling team. Every day at practice they would play heavy music on the radio, including Metallica and Rammstein. So these bands were added to my rotation of illegally downloaded and burnt CD-R's that I listened to for over a year.

My path to extreme metal started in Spring '05 when I found this site called Rocktoons.com, which does caricatures of rock and metal bands. I was browsing through it and came up a caricature of this band called The Kovenant. Intrigued, I checked them out but couldn't get many of their songs off of Kazaa. Because of this, I was forced to buy my first CD, The Kovenant's SETI. As I explored this band's back-catalogue I got more and more accustomed to extreme vocals.

Fall of '05 my friend Nick (Cookiecutter) introduced me to Hypocrisy, the first death metal band I ever heard and liked. I still remember when he sent me on an errand to pick up Hypocrisy's Virus album.

My path to black metal was set by The Kovenant and Wikipedia. Looking at the band's Wikipedia article, I saw that former members of the band played in Arcturus. So I got into Arcturus, and by the same means discovered Borknagar, who remain to this day my favorite (black) metal band. My first extreme album purchase was Borknagar's Quintessence, which still shines at the top of my list.

I guess pretty much your typical story of a 24 year old dude. Loved Metallica and GNR, and in High School I got into the Nu Metal phase until about 11th grade when my epiphany came. I was dragged to a Dying Fetus show. It was about when they had come out with Praise the Lord, I suppose that was around 98 or so. They played Kill your mother rape your dog and some other amazing diddies and that was pretty much it for me, I had been converted to real metal.

I have to say I wasn't able to jump right into death metal at first. I started out with melo-death for a while. Kalmah and Dark Tranquillity being my major choices. Actually only in the past four years have I really gotten into the Deicide and the CC and the Suffocation (to name the biggies). Surprisingly, the first real DM band I really got into was Lucifer (Maryland, US) Dont know if anyone remembers them. And that's about teh staory of my awesomeness. I really believe true DM is an acquired taste to really appreciate it.

When I was younger I was really into Metallica's Ride the Lightening, AC/DC and Guns N' Roses because my brother had their CDs. By the time middle school rolled around I was into the whole nu-metal phase. Then we got AOL and I went on to the message boards they had and one of the topics I found was metal. There were a bunch of people like me at the time that had no clue what metal was and were posting shit about Linkin Park and crap like that. However there were a few real metalheads and I just started latching onto them and discovered Opeth, Death, and In Flames as the first bands I really got into. I would go to the local record stores on would just buy albums that looked metal; like Dissection, Entombed, Metal Church, Mercyful Fate, etc...

Through this whole time I picked up bass and was in a band with a few more experienced musicians. One of them was into Shadows Fall which I ended up going to a concert with him right when "The Art of Balance" came out and I was immediately into them as well.

For a few years I wasn't really following metal as closely as I used to. One of the local radio stations would play stuff like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God during the day though so that always kept me interested. Past midnight they would always play more "extreme" metal though and that got me back interested to where I am now...

I remember hearing White Zombie devil music. vol 1 and astro creep at a really young age so that started it for me. I was around 12,13 getting my first electric guitar with a cheap 10 watt amp and would try and get the most cool sounding distortion so was drawn to guitarists in bands that used distortion which is what gets me into things when it comes to metal and just music made by other alternative individuals.

Raised on Classic Rock as well, especially Guns n Roses.

About 8th grade I saw Tool's video for H and that was all she wrote.

A buddy of mine in high school introduced me to the darker side with Emperor and Dystopia.

Raised on Classic Rock as well, especially Guns n Roses.

About 8th grade I saw Tool's video for H and that was all she wrote.

A buddy of mine in high school introduced me to the darker side with Emperor and Dystopia.

didn't even think anyone else on this board knew who Dystopia was....HUMAN=GARBAGE :headbang:

grew up listening to Sabbath. When Faith No More released "The Real Thing" the song Surprise You're Dead captured kept my attention. I started listening to some early Amorphis (The Karelian Isthmus) and Bolt Thrower ( IVth Crusade.(I bought the tape cuz the cover looked cool)) Then Jesse from Daylight Dies sent me some tapes with good old Katatonia/In Flames/Opeth/Gates of Ishtar/Dissection/Ensalved/Dodheimsgard. After that it snowballed into the depraved shit I listen to now.

But what really pushed me, was seeing Cannibal Corpse perform Hammer Smashed Face in the Ace VEntura movie. That whole sequence just screamed total bad-assness. Then of course, the New England clam chowder line.

'What's the password?'

'New England...Clam...CHOW-DER!!'

'Is that the red or the white?'

'Shit, I can never remember that....white?'

*door opens*

'YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!'