how you got into metal

My dad loved the 80's metal scene, not glam metal, but the European bands ie Def Leppard, Priest, Scorpions, Maiden, Motorhead. Those were the bands I first grew up with. I never payed attention to the nu metal scene, I just went straight to Thrash and Doom metal:kickass:

I used to play wallball and baseball with my friends outside in the back alley near our spot(a wall of a then-laundry cleaning store). One of the men who lived there would blast Morbid Angel, Metallica and Alice in Chains. He would turn the music up louder as he joined us in baseball. We were about 7, and he was 19, so he had a lot of wisdom as far as metal goes. When we were done playing, we went into his basement and watched his band jam. He actually taught me how to play drums, and from that point, I knew all the songs on the Alice in Chains album Facelift. So I started on Metallica, Morbid Angel, Glam Rock from those Infomercials, and Alice in Chains.

As I got older, I endulged myself into pop music like the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls as I kept adding to my metal playlist.

Then I got into the mainstream shit, like Korn, Marylin Manson, Disturbed, etc.

I quickly grew out of that after hearing In Flames played on my local radio station, and it's all uphill from here.

Ozzy Osbourne -- Gets me Through and Black Label Society. :)Puke: I can't fucking stand Zakk Wylde any more. I was watching Jimmy Kimmel Live last night cuz Ozzy was on and they played Bark at the Moon and I wanted to punch Zakk in the fucking face through my T.V. Why can't he just leave songs alone? Especially when he didn't write them.)

I remember back when I was getting into extreme metal, the metal-observer and metal-archives were very new. The days on MA where Cradle of Filth was labelled as black metal and then later "black metal" with the quotations. Also when a good number of bands weren't on there, only seldomly are bands not found on MA.

I just noticed today that DevilDriver has been added to MA. I don't mind them, but I'm surprised MA added them. I thought the whole Dez being in Coal Chamber was enough to provide a biased reasoning for not including them.

"Only accepted into the archives, because the newest full-length is considered to be metal."

Funny, their new release doesn't differ at all from their last one and they're about as 'metal' as they've always been.

"Metalcore (early), Groove Metal/Melodic Death (later)"

They were never metalcore, and certainly aren't melodic death.

The band that actually got me into metal was Immortal. I can't say I'm much of a black metal fan anymore, although ultimately it did open up a lot of doors for me.

i listened to nu metal. then i found cannibal corpse's song I Will Kill You, and it creeped me out so i went on with nu metal, but i was so fascinated by it, i kept listening to songs by bands like slayer, and CC, and Morbid Angel untill eventually that was the main stuff i listened to and nu metal went away!

acctually before i will kill you, i think it was slayers chemical warfare that creeped me out on one of those music channels. one of tom arraya's more ghoulish vocal preformences.

heard opeth and continued on from there

liked nu-metal before that but i don't consider that metal.

yea, Opeth I guess was my first real metal band. I heard damnation in my friends car and It sounded awesome; later finding the other Opeth albums blackwater park, my arms your hearse and so on came to me. Then oddly I went to Dimmu Borgir and then found nile. I find it odd that I actually liked Nile after bieng exposed to metal for only a small amount of time. I thought of it bieng incredibly heavy at first, but I liked it...and so it stuck :kickass: :kickass:

I grew up on classical music because my parents listen to it religiously, especially my mom who has a degree in music theory so I've been listening to mozart, wagner, beethoven, paganini and Gershwin for modern classical music plus countless other composers.

doesn't he beat you already for listening to glam metal? :loco:

hahaha :lol: :lol:

Ozzy Osbourne -- Gets me Through and Black Label Society. :)Puke: I can't fucking stand Zakk Wylde any more. I was watching Jimmy Kimmel Live last night cuz Ozzy was on and they played Bark at the Moon and I wanted to punch Zakk in the fucking face through my T.V. Why can't he just leave songs alone? Especially when he didn't write them.)
Your statement makes no sense. He's a wicked guitarist and throws in few more artificial harmonics than Jake E Lee. That makes it bad why?:zombie:

I had a copy of Appetite for Destruction given to me in 4th grade or so (1989) not that it's metal but it's still hard rock. My taste gradually got heavier as the years went on, thanks to Metallica, Testament, Megadeth, etc.