how you got into metal

supseudonymous

&
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, USA
When/how did you become a metalhead? What band introduced you to metal?

As a teenager I was always a big fan of the mainstream nu-metal bands (Slipknot, Disturbed, Korn) and some hardcore. About a year ago I joined eMusic looking to find some new music because I was getting tired of hearing the same old stuff over and over again. Nu-metal started to sound very synthetic and artificial to me. Looking through the metal catalog I found The Berzerker and I was instantly hooked. I dove in and started downloading and buying all kinds of real death and thrash metal. To this day The Berzerker is still one of my favorite bands.

I was playing Unreal Tournament at a friend's house, and Metallica was playing. I liked what I was hearing, and asked for a CD.

Then I later found more metal bands and it just... spread.

I bought Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill about a year in a half ago, and that's when it all started.

I first heard Aerosmith-"Rocks" and then my brother's Black Sabbath albums-

after that it was more hard rock,classic metal and other heavy bands that i looked into from late 60's thru the last 25 years
:headbang: :Smokin:

About six years ago I listened to a local college radio station, they played all sorts of shit, but on friday nights they played lots of Death and Black Metal. At first I didn't like it but after a few weeks I was listening to the show called "Chainsaw Rock" every friday night. I bought a Cannibal Corpse soon after and Ive been into it ever since.

I think the first time I remember being impressed by modern metal was hearing Crazy Train on the radio back around when the album came out (80/81). I had a friend who really never was or became a huge metalhead, but he had a few albums that we used to listen to. Stuff like Black Sabbath, Scorpions, the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack. From there I hooked up with some metalheads and got into Maiden and Judas Priest and stuff. Then on to Metallica, Mercyful Fate and so on.

Been listening to Black Sabbath since I was like 7, maybe even younger. My brother gave me a Godflesh album almost 2 years ago, that was the first 'real' metal I guess.

I got really bored of that hip-hop and mainstream pop rock/punk everyone listened to on MTV, so my friend's brother who's a metalhead showed me Children of Bodom. For some reason, I never really thought of the vocals as "screaming", as most others would. All I knew was that it was definitely more exciting than Billy Talent, and I finally discovered the term Death metal. After that I just continued to look for more and learn more about metal.

I listened to Mudvayne and Slipknot because it was the heaviest thing I had heard wen I was 13, then a couple years later started listneing to Lamb of God and more mainstreamstuff like Slayer and Pantera and I heard Morbid Angel on Sirius Radio and read review on Amazon saying this "If yuo want to listen to real metal and none of that Slipknot, Limp Bizkit mallcore shit then listne to Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel", I checkd out both through samples on Amazon, I definitelyliked Morbid Angel, but I sampled the George Fisher Cannibal Corpse stuff and didn't like it as much, and I heard Six Feet Under on Sirius too and liked it, this al happened in 2005, then in Summer 2006 I heard Satyricon on Sirius and liked it but still didn't know what black metal was and then I heard the term black metal and Emperor go together, so I smapled Emperor on Amazon, liked it, and went and bought In The Nightside Eclipse, then listened to Darkthrone, Mayhem, Dark Funeral, and Burzum shortly after an liked it, so I've been getting into extreme metal since Summer 2005.

started listening to nu metal in middle school. in 10th grade someone gave me a copy of Character and then moved on to Melodic/extreme metal.

Nu metal for a year, then I bought a copy of Chaos AD by Sepultura because Max appeared on a Deftones track. I was instantly hooked. Also, throughout high school I listened to a lot of old school 80s hardcore like Black Flag and The Dead Kennedys. I made a triumphant return to metal once I exited high school (through grindcore) and the rest is history.