What songs got you into metal?

Well that kinda depends on what ya mean.

I got into ROCK thanks to Aerosmith, specifically "Janie's Got a Gun" when I was little. I was big into Aerosmith for a bit, and my stepdad showed me Ozzy, and it was "War Pigs" that gave me my first taste of metal.

But when I bought Nine Inch Nails' "Broken" EP and heard "Last", that's when I really knew I had to get deep into the "metal" sound.

Machine Head's "Davidian" blew open the doors for me in terms of really ripping metal, more than any Metallica song ever did.

Opeth's "The Drapery Falls" cracked the ceiling for death metal by getting me adjusted to the vocals.

I couldn't get into black metal until I heard Dimmu Borgir's "Hybrid Stigmata - The Apostasy".

And that's about all she wrote.

Well that kinda depends on what ya mean.

I got into ROCK thanks to Aerosmith, specifically "Janie's Got a Gun" when I was little. I was big into Aerosmith for a bit, and my stepdad showed me Ozzy, and it was "War Pigs" that gave me my first taste of metal.

But when I bought Nine Inch Nails' "Broken" EP and heard "Last", that's when I really knew I had to get deep into the "metal" sound.

Machine Head's "Davidian" blew open the doors for me in terms of really ripping metal, more than any Metallica song ever did.

Opeth's "The Drapery Falls" cracked the ceiling for death metal by getting me adjusted to the vocals.

I couldn't get into black metal until I heard Dimmu Borgir's "Hybrid Stigmata - The Apostasy".

And that's about all she wrote.
I agree the main riff in davidan is pretty cool but machine head has one of the worst vocalists i've ever heard.

It was actually the drumming in Davidian that really got me. And I think Rob Flynn is a beastly vocalist on Burn My Eyes and The Blackening.

OH! I forgot. Slipknot kinda bridged the gap between Machine Head and Opeth. I actually discovered Opeth because of an ad for Blackwater Park in Circus Magazine that I got because Slipknot was on the cover.

Battery and Master of Puppets. I used to think that the rest of the album (and virtually all other music aside from Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid) sucked for years and would listen to those two on repeat forever. Then at some point I noticed the [Instrumental] at the end of Orion and that became my new daily bedtime song.

???

Is there some secret track I don't know about?

I should have put that (and Orion itself) in hyphens/quotation marks. I mean that I didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the album to even notice that there was an eight minute instrumental, when such a thing would have greatly appealed to me at any time.

Haters gonna hate. At least I got in before nu-metal.
I suppose even as a kid I had my morbid fascinations....

Looking back at these... I'm surprised my parents let this stuff go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hearing Metallica play Enter Sandman at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

And also hearing Maiden's Be Quick or be Dead on the chart show!