What got you into metal?

Anesthesia

Just let me die
Jun 28, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
Hey all, just thought I'd ask what got everyone here into metal?

Myself, I listened to a lot of 80's when I was growing up... Glen Frey, Grapes of Wrath, Billy Idol etc...

The reason I got into metal was when I first heard "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses when it first came out. I remember liking the song because it sounded like a nice classic rock tune, but when the ending hit with the wailing guitar and Axl Rose's shrieks, I was totally amazed by the power and emotion that the heavier part of the song could display. From there I got into Pantera, Machine Head and so forth and never looked back.

Cheers All.

MY DYING BRIDE basically got me into metal, with the masterpiece "Like Gods of the Sun" (not metal in everbody's opinion, though), after being a big grunge fan (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains) and a TOOL fan. Got into bands as such Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head about the same time, but left those behind some years ago together with the grunge bands (naturally).

Still listen to MDB and TOOL a lot and have since discovered many great bands such as Katatonia, Opeth and a number of Gothic, Doom and Death metal bands.

I grew up on stuff like Black Sabbath and Metallica when it comes to metal. Then, back when Napster was out, I got into my first underground band...Katatonia.

I started buying albums in 1987, when I was 9, started out with Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, that sort of thing, progressed over the years to Faith No More, Metallica, Sepultura etc, got into the underground styles of metal in my first year of university (1996, I think), ironically I was studying classical music ;)

This might qualify as the weirdest route to metal... it starts w/ Weird Al Yankovic! I heard Smells Like Nirvana before I heard Teen Spirit. So I sought out Teen Spirit. I then went from Nirvana to Metallica, then to Amorphis.

I started out listening to Pearl Jam from an early age after I saw a tape of theres in my local store, and because it was so cheap i bought it and listened to it religiously. After that I started broadening my musical horizon and I listen to everything ever!

I'd never been into any "hard" music until I mate of mine introduced me to TOOL. After that it was different things: Black Sabbath, Opeth, My dying Bride and so on...

Well, it all began with Guns & Roses in the early 90's when I got an ear for rock. But then, I became a real metal head after hearing the Hammerfall promo and since then I am going steady down the metal road

I think it was because of my brother. He used to buy a Cd every week and at the beginning it was all metal (Slayer,Metallica, Paradise Lost, Sepultura, Carcass, Impaled Nazarene, Amorphis, My Dying Bride and many others). Now he listens to hip hop, rap and all that crap...so I kept some of his old Cds (he sold so many...) and then went on buying cds for myself. I was into calssical music, rock, pop, folk and grunge before listening to metal.

I started out in the early 90's with Def Leppard and the likes. Thats when I first started really listening to music. From there I gradually progressed further. In high school I started moving towards the heavier stuff (Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura,etc) andI used to go to the music store and just buy random Cd's based on the song titles. Thats how I found bands like My Dying Bride, Cradle of Filth (LONG before you could buy their Cd's everywhere). My tastes have certainly expanded over the years and I listen to every type of metal there is. I figure there is a style for every mood :) Even today I love going out and buying random Cd's, sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you come across a gemt hat changes everything ( MDB's Cry of Mankind was the best song ever!).

...i'm growing back time...
...to feel things once again...

when i was entering high school, a good friend of mine borrowed me a tape with the following bands: metallica, megadeth, slayer, pantera, agony lords, sepultura...i was amazed by the furious guitars and melody found within "master of puppets" and "hangar 18"...then a friend of mine introduced me to a radio station and there i listened to european metal...i started with bands like amorphis, let me dream, dark tranquillity, in flames and all kind of melodic stuff...swedish death mainly...it took me about 4 years to finally discover and appreciate katatonia!!!

:headbang:

My first experience with an electric guitar was the Punk Rock my brother listened to (I was 11 then), but I wasn't interested in that stuff cos it was too stupid.
In the age of 13 I listened to pop music (shame on me!), but it wasn't good for me at all, it made me aggressive and so I stopped this.
I tried Punk Rock again but still it was stupid and too easygoing in my opinion. As I heard Sepultura, "Roots", for the first time I was just going :OMG: ! And from this moment I knew that my only bliss is Metal, Gothic, Wave, Black, Death and stuff. I live for it!

You falter in your confessions.

I grow up listening mostly to Maidens, but now they only suck money from the fans. Disgusting.
Let's say e.g. 7th son.. ohh.. that was SOMETHING.

the stepping stone into metal for me was a bunch of nu-metal... i am sad to say it, but it was. I found out about in flames when checking out the people that were playing with slayer and soulfly, and i really loved them.. then i bought a sampler with them on it and found out about opeth and then katatonia.

I've followed this forum for some time and now I think is a good time to start posting. I'm lully from Brazil. I've started listening to 80's bands like cure, siouxsie, smiths, cocteau twins and some punk like sex pistols.. then I got into metallica, king diamond, mercyful fate, anthrax, etc and after some time started to listen to carcass, paradise lost, cathedral, and a lot more, then some some black metal, etc. I listened to katatonia through tape trading and still have my tape of their 1st demo (very bad sound, but great music!), and my favorites are dance of december souls and last fair gone down. well, that's all :)