So, what song got you started into Katatonia?

It was an article I read in Revolver magazine back in 2001 (had Slipknot on the front cover, same issue that got me into Opeth) Sampled some shit from their later records, sounded decent. A few years later, I heard the song "Nowhere" off of Sounds of Decay from www.doom-metal.com and I really dug it. The rest is history.

I had heard Katatonia many years ago after I discovered Lacuna Coil around 2001 and was told to check them out. I don't remember what songs I downloaded but I remember not liking any of them because of the weak vocals. Then several years later someone on a Flaw forum mentioned how "mesmerizing" Jonas's vocals were in a new song called "My Twin" and so I (skeptically) gave them another chance and listened to "My Twin" and was completely blown away. That was the quickest turn around I have ever experienced with any band to where I hated them at first and then with just one song, they shot straight up to my "top 10 bands" list. Now after NITND, they are in my top 5 (but only due to their two most recent albums...I am still not completely sold on their older material, save for a handful of songs from VE and LFDGD).

A friend of mine lent me a copy of VE in 2004 (for a day). I don't even know why she lent it to me because it was not her CD. I never got to listen to it but I liked the cover so I went hunting for anything Katatonia. Ended up with LFDGD. Jonas lyrics quickly took up permanent residence in my head.

how could this go so very wrong
that I must depend on darkness

what is wrong
not with the world but me

Basically mirrored my thoughts at 17.

An old friend of mine introduced me to Katatonia back in 2001, 2002 more or less. He said I was going to like it, and he was right. First song he made me listen to was Right into the bliss. I still like that song so very much.

I actually didn't like the band at first after hearing a few random songs but a few months later that changed. A buddy of mine was raving about Viva Emptiness so I decided to give it a shot and really enjoyed it. After that I got Last Fair Deal Gone Down and dispossession just hooked me. After that I was really anxious for TGCD to be released and once I heard My Twin I became a huge fan. I guess they were just one of those bands I would always hear about for years but never gave a fair shake until Viva Emptiness.

"Zmells Like Teen Zpirit" this is by far their best and most captivating song, really dig the lunch lady headbanging with her meat cleaver in her hand!!!!! KATA OWNS!