The beginning...?

nevershine

Hengität. Et hengitä enää
Jul 31, 2001
Whiterapids, Finland
www.farmakonband.com
When did you started to listen to Katatonia?
Who introduced it to you?
What was the first song that got you hooked?

I heard a couple of mp3's from a friend of mine and there it was...
Rainroom :eek: I was like wow! What is this shit???
Then I bought BMD, and it was the time when Discouraged ones
had not yet been published. Don't remember the year but feels
like it was long ago... in a galaxy far far away.:loco:

It was somewhere in '97....back then I was "experimenting" listening to many new bands,reading much magazines and stuffand generally I was eager to find new music ... So one of these bands was Katatonia... I bought "Dance of december souls" and was amazed...this albums was the perfect soundtrack for my gloomy mood and it still means a lot to me...Shortly after I bought the previous katatonia stuff and became a megafan :) December97/January 98 came "Sounds of decay out" and the rest is history......

Back then none of my friends was listening to this band and actually despite my "propaganda" i managed to get only a friend into Katatonia.....
I am a failure... haha :cry:

Originally posted by godisanathiest
All I can say is Thanx _Transparent_ :loco:

yay, im happy now :) . but it was pure luck with me, my friend said they were good and whilst in HMV's, looking around i saw there was nothing new out, i saw the Tonight's Decision re-release for £8.99 and thought, i'll give it a risk, and if i dont like it i'll send it back, i listened to the first 3 songs repeatedly for a few weeks, i was so impressed, then the rest is history :)

Early this year, when I was requesting recommendations on another BB and Katatonia's name came up. I downloaded Chrome and Sweet Nurse first, then several other songs from the mp3 site and elsewhere, and quickly got hooked by Nystrom's simple yet mesmerizing guitar lines and Renske's impassioned vocals.

I´ve been listening to Katatonia since ´92 if I remember it right.
I got Jhva Elohim Meth - demo through tapetrading from a friend of mine from Sweden. I enjoyed that demo quite a lot, especially Without God was and still is just amazing! But when Dance of December Souls was released I was sure that this is the best album ever!
For me it was also Gateways of Bereavement that finally hooked me...and since the day I got that album I´ve totally been into Katatonia. So, next year will be the 10th anniversary in the world of Katatonia for me!! That´s quite a long time I must say...

A friend of mine was about to move and had all his records and cds at my house. I was like a kid in a candy store because he was older and had many more albums than i had, i was already into metal for quite some time though. I stumbled across Discouraged Ones and immediatly LOVED it and found that i enjoyed everything they had put out old and new.....
Jay

It was the Century Media compilation number 5 which featured 'Deadhouse' on it. I listened to it a fair bit but didn't really 'get' it.

Then when Tonight's Decision came out I ordered it in cause of the amazing artwork and the press it got on the My Dying Bride mailinglist.

The rest, like every-fucking-one says is history.

I bought (in order)

1. Tonight's Decision
2. Brave Murder Day/ For Funerals To Come
3. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
4. Discouraged Ones

and the greatest of these?

Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

In late 96 I was to attend a concert which was finally cancelled, so instead a guy I didn't know made me listen to Bewitched and told me about Blackheim, "the man with 3 bands", who was a kind of "legend".
Then I saw an interview of him and a review of Brave murder day in a magazine, and I liked the image of the bird on the album. So though I didn't really know what it was sounding like I bought it. I didn't really like it the first time but when I heard Brave for the second time everything changed.
That's strange how particular this band is to me, I mean, that's the only band I feel really close to and of course I consider it as my favourite band but I don't listen to the albums very often...

Downloaded Katatonia - Brave some six months ago when I was just scouting for bands to listen to. After that I was hooked. Only on to the earlier albums though. Anything post Sounds of Decay is not for me.

I got Deadhouse on a Century Media sampler.... then.. seeing as how im in the US.. i hunted high and low for DO and eventually found it in an old book/cd store... Was a lil easier to find LFDGD.. but not much...

After hearing alot of good things about the band I decided to pick up Brave Murder Day(w/ For Funerals to Come) back a few a months ago. I really liked it so I bought Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I had mixed feelings about it at first. I was kind of turned off by the pop-like song structures and somewhat simplistic writing style. It definetly wasn't what I was used to. But it slowly grew on me and now I like it alot. Actually, come to think of it, I listen to it more than Brave Murder Day. My favorites tracks are Passing Bird, Future of Speech, and Tonight's Music. The only one I don't really like is We Must Bury You.

p.s. There is a really cool record store here in NJ where I get most of my cds from(they have a HUGE metal section). Last time I was there they were playing Last Fair Deal Gone Down in the store! But here is the weird part... Remember that old MTV vj, Matt Pinfield(the fat bald guy). Well he lives in NJ and he was in the store at the time, and we was going on and on about how much he loves Katatonia! How weird is that?