So, what song got you started into Katatonia?

Being a super Opeth fan back in the day, i had an urge to buy everthing Ake had vocals in. i heard murder online, but it wasn't until i heard brave that i had lost some of my potential children. then my brother bought VE and TGCD which came out a couple months after i got BMD, then we slowly closed the gap, he buying the next oldest and me buying the next newest.

hmmm.

it was 1998 i think.

it was a 2-minute sample of rainroom a friend downloaded from some site and taped it for me.

in the summer of 1999 i was entering a cd shop in thessaloniki, greece in order to buy me anathema's judgement. as i entered some strange yet familiar music was coming from the speakers in the shop.

i asked the guy (his name was joe) if it was judgement or what it was, and he showed me the sleeve of discouraged ones. it was deadhouse playing.

i left the shop with 4 cd's - anathema's judgement, tiamat's skeleton skeletron, saturnus' paradise belongs to you... the fourth cd was discouraged ones. got myself hooked right away.

A friend of mine was doing a radio broadcast through shoutcast. He was a typical heavy metal guy.. still is. Now THAT is the irony of the story... He suddenly started playing a song which is possibly the darkest thing I've ever heard. It was bleak, hypnotic, desolate and extremely eerie. I'm instantly shocked in that moment. Couldn't move... As the song progressed I felt many things that I've never felt before.... after the song ended I asked my friend what is the name of the song and who is the artist. Yeah... It was Brave. A ten minute journey tho the other, the ether world. The irony is that the friend I was talking about doesn't listen to Katatonia. But strangely he played that song of the band which later is going to have a strong impact in my life. Which is really eerie. Like the rest of the album and the sound. I told him about this years later and he is indeed surprised. Well; that is what got me started into Katatonia and I thank to that moment by starting this beautiful journey.