So, what song got you started into Katatonia?

DISPOSSESSION

I was heading back from a children of bodom show with my good friend Justin back in november of 2005, and he put on last fair deal gone down, i was surprised by the mellowness of this song. I ask him what this is he says "katatonia with a K" and here we are today, i have a katatonia tattoo, a drum stick a lot of cds/shirts/vinyls and what my friends say is "an unhealthy obsession" with them.

To this day i still lliterally get chills from the opening riff of that song, also its odd, it sounds so warm compared to everything else they've ever done. I've always found dispossession to be a different sounding song compared to their entire catalog.

Funeral Wedding, 1995. Got the CD through an underground metal mailorder in the USA, was looking for emotional & melodic doom/death after getting into My Dying Bride and Anathema a few years before. Been hooked ever since and have been amazed to see the band evolve and change so much over the years, I am so grateful for their music!

Seven Screaming Souls, I picked first the whole DDoS :p
But the song that clicked in my mind and made me a fan was In Silence Enshrined, which is still my favourite song.

I read about them. There was this reviewer (Wim Baelus) for Dutch Aardschok magazine who specialized in the darker more obscure genres. I would follow his advices often and discovered many bands thanks to him (Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced..). He described Katatonia in some reviews of other bands (linked them to Dissection, which I then was heavily into), the description of dark, doomy, Swedish and melodic really appealed to me, so as soon as I found the Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival MCD in an Amsterdam record shop, I bought it, I bought DoDS soon after. Must have been 1993/1994, I was 17 or 18. I would always go to this record shop in Amsterdam for their extensive selection of obscure stuff, they carried what no other store carried, sadly this store had to close its doors a few years ago. I still own many cd's I bought there through the years..

Passing bird for me. Though I also heard criminals and ghost of the sun around the same time

I bought "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Brave Murder Day" at the same time back in 2001, because I had heard about the two styles and initially wanted to see how each one worked both on their own merit, and then going back and picking up on similarities, tone and vibe-wise. Since then, I've purchased every studio album and a few singles. I can't remember if a particular song stood out for me, because I liked how each album flowed.

I heard 'Deadhouse' on a Century Media sampler and really didn't think all that much of it (can you believe that??). I was still curious, so when 'Tonight's Decision' was released I bought it, gave it a chance and then it was all over for me. I knew the path I would walk... in metaphorical music terms.

That sampler was the same one that got me into Katatonia in the first place... I didn't jump out of my chair the first time I heard it, but I liked the sound, and they have progressively grown on me ever since. I think around Tonight's Decision is when I really fell in love.

First song that got me into them was "without god". After that, I checked out the entire Dance of December souls album, and I was sold. Even though I am a fan of the entire discography, DODC is still my all time favorite.