What band got you into metal?

Faith No More..when I heard the song "Surprise You're Dead". That really pushed me over the edge of being a sabbath/metallica fan to harder shit. I never really appreciated brutal death metal until I got older though.

Iron Maiden -> Testament -> Slayer -> Cannibal Corpse -> Death -> Amon Amarth -> Bathory -> Emperor -> Venom and from their it just expanded for the 4 genres I mainly listen to.

Bad ass. I wish I had the Deicide I had first still.

I wonder what my tastes would be like had I heard Carcass first instead.

Does this blow your mind?:

There are three albums I bought other than Heartwork that really got me into extreme metal:

1) Satyricon - Volcano
2) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
3) Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

I still own the originals I bought those many years ago. It's pretty amazing how much I hated King Diamond's vocals at the time, but I'm glad I held onto the album. That's probably one of my favorite 'riff' albums of all time.

I am a lot older than most here, so I heard the beginnings of metal starting with the Seeds, and others. The first really was the Black Sabbath album in 1970 when I returned from combat.
That is now acknowledged as the first real metal album. Now Ozzie and Tony, with Geezer the metal master, are going on their last tour. Amazing that it seems not that long ago, and how little time is left for me, and for our biosphere with Overpopulation to CAGW to GTE.
Metal and acid rock to the end!!!

Metallica - Master of puppets. It immediately got me, and from there I started researching more and more and eventually started listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera and in the recent years I started deviating in progressive metal/rock which is now my main genre.

In the late 90's, I had a friend who was in a local band that was playing shows with Shadows Fall. I got a cassette copy of Somber Eyes to the Sky and I loved it. From there, it was onto Slaughter of the Soul and The Jester Race.

June 1973 I heard Black Sabbath. Been a fan of metal ever since. I am 49 now and still listen to heavy music. Mostly death, black and doom metal.