how you got into metal

My old man used to blare The Wizard by Sabbath and instantly I played out We Sold Our Soul For Rock n' Roll. Then when I was 12, This Love by Pantera aired on Headbangers Ball and It was all over from there. First time I heard Deliverance from Opeth it opened my eyes... got me into Progressive Metal and eventually led into Dimmu, Immortal etc.

Like most everyone else i was into Metallica for years, but that was the only real metal i had even heard at the time. Then i saw "Darkthrone" mentioned in a chatroom i was in. I was intrigued by the name for some reason and was possessed to download some of their songs. And that's where it all began.

I bought Metallica's ReLoad album and it blew me away (until then, the only other music I had listened to was hip-hop and radio music). Then I was a Metallica fanboy for a year or so and bought all their albums. Little did I know I had barely scratched the surface of heavy metal.

I wanted to find other metal bands, and checked out stuff like Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer, and Sepultura, but I didn't really like any of it. The only other band that I really liked was Iron Maiden.

Then one day, by sheer chance, I happened upon Iced Earth's Something Wicked This Way Comes and bought it simply because I liked the cover and song titles. It turned out to be the best music I'd ever heard in my life, by a longshot. At that point I began my real journey.

The first metal song I ever heard was Iron man and from there on I started getting into it. My brother then bought me Master of puppets and I started getting more into it.

I had been listening to shit like Slayer and Pantera throughout high school, but never really had a huge interest in metal. Once I got into college, there was this guy from a frat that listened to a ton of metal and let me borrow some of it. Once I heard Killswitch Engage, I went on a rampage and started buying a ton of metal.

Now I am here.

Meh, my story is typical. Started out with Nu-Metal like System of a Down, Slipknot, Korn, etc. and slowly progressed from there.

A friend of mine was into Metal, mostly at the time Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil." We would hang out outside listening to Metal bands in the 'ol Boombox!

I think Metallica's "Kill Em All" and "Ride the Lightning" was my first "wow, I need more" moment.

I was just going to make the thread. Mine is long so here we go.

I started when my favorite bands ever were Slipknot and Mudvanye. That was all i would listen to. The definting moment in my life was when I had a desison to eather buy Breaking Benjiman's So Cold or Interpol's Antics. I decided on the BB record. I grew to hate that record becuase it was so soft. So then my friend was into slipknot. We basiclly listened to slipknot for our whole 8th grade year. He would show me bands here and there. One time he showed me a band called Cradle Of Filth. He said they were satanic so i was did not listen to them. A whole summer went buy till i got to Hight School. There I listened to Cradle Of Filth and i feel in love with there sound(i hate them now). I thought they were black metal. I then bought some darkthrone records and then my decent into metal came. Now for the past 2 years I been into mostly non-metal music but metal truly has shaped my life.

...btw i bought Interpol's records and now I am in love with them.

I got into metal at a pretty young age. I blame my mother. She bought me Metallica's black album for my 9th birthday because that's when they were playing a bunch of the songs from that album on the radio all the time and I was completely blown away. Then she bought me 'Kill em All' and the rest of their 80s discography. After awhile I started wanting to hear other stuff so I got into Megadeth and Pantera. Then one day I picked up this guitar magazine and it had this section called "10 Essential Death Metal Albums" or something like that. That's how I heard about stuff like Morbid Angel, Celtic Frost, Entombed, etc. I promptly went out and searched for all the albums I saw in that article. It's all been downhill from there.