how you got into metal

Growing up I could never relate to any music simply because I had disliked most of what I had heard...however, then at age 9 or so I found Marilyn Manson and then other bands like Rob Zombie and music along those lines. My interest in music grew and I began to explore the music scene eventually finding Cradle of Filth through seeing a video for Her Ghost in the Fog. Cradle of Filth kind of opened up the door to a whole new world of music, where I found black metal through bands like Immortal, Gorgoroth, and Dimmu Borgir (though I disliked them at first), and eventually got into death metal, doom metal etc.

i listened to Sepultura, Living Colour, Guns 'n' Roses, Skid Row, Poison, Faith No More, Nirvana, Alice in chains 'till my 12 years (1994), but it was serious when i listened to Cannibal Corpse, Master and Napalm Death in the same year

When my sister was in 8th grade, (I was in 3rd-4th grade) she used to blast out Slayer and I just got used to it and started listening to it. Before that, I just started out with System of a Down.

A classmate of mine back in the 8th grade was always playing the Black Album. At first I thought is was SO depressing (no heavy so much just dark) but in time I grew to love it. From there I got into death metal and Slayer and my interests just continued to grow.

Radio-rock ->Nu-Metal->Thrash->Classic Metal(Priest, and the like)->Death/Black.

Basically took the usual route of looking for heavier and faster until finding real metal with much help from internet.

I saw the video for Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love" on late night MTV in 1984 and was instantly converted.

Like many here, Metallica(RIP) was responsible for my interest in metal. I was at waterski camp back in 1988 and one of the boat drivers was blasting Master Of Puppets on a boombox. I was hooked instantly and since then decided to quest further into the realms of metal. \m/

I just thought of it as black, not completely though, but it has all the blasting and harmonic minor tremolo riffing work.

Whatever sounded good to Nu Metal during its early days, mostly Korn but later on Slipknot but also strangely Type O, who are not Nu Metal, I just found by dumb luck hearing them on the radio. Around the same time I heard Enter Sandman etc. and got into Metallica and Megadeth and after tracing their music back found Antrax and Slayer and from there it basically just gradually developed as my tastes got heavier or more refined as my understanding and personal prefences developed.

I got into real metal browsing this site. I was into heavy stuff before, but it wasn't that worthy.
Thank you, UM.

When I was 12 years old my mom bought me Black Sabbath-We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll..:headbang: then about 4 years later Slayer formed and I heard their stuff and liked it.Mercyful Fate,Voivod,Hellhammer/Celtic Frost,..and just kept buying and recording from friends on cassettes...:kickass:

I got into metal by two ways.
1. A friend who knew my interrest in Toliien's book gave me a "ballad CD" from a real metal band, Blind Guardian, because it had a Lord of the Rings song on it.
2. I listened to the Mission Impossible soundtrack, which had rock and pseudometal on it and noticed that i like electrical guitars ;)

That mixture made me download free mp3s from unknown bands on strange music database websites, borrow CDs from friends who were into metal and buy CDs myself.

After a year or something i got bored with power metal and started to get into black and death metal. I first listened to "gateway bands", but soon wanted to know what the real thing sounds like.

I was into the classic stuff, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Then I discovered Iron Maiden, followed by Sabbath and Megadeth. Got me into Metal, discovered other bands.

Unlike so many, I never liked Metallica. Not until I developed my taste, then I began to appreciate MoP, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All. Even so, I do not like Hetfield's voice.

Started drummin' for a metal band when I didn't even like metal nearly a year ago, I just wanted to play music so I stayed in it.
After our first gig they were telling me to listen and learn South Of Heaven and Duality and I got big into Slipknot and Slayer and taking it from there got into all the mainstream metal stuff.
Made a new friend three months ago and he got me listening to Decapitated and CC so I'm going from there really.

1980 I was 4 years old. Uncle's and older bro listened to Iron Maiden, Priest, AC/DC, Accept. I got into it. Then in about '87 got into Metallica and Slayer. Then in about 92-93 I got into Deicide, Obituary, Pungent Stench. Now I still listen to all that (minus AC/DC) but have gotten into Suffocation, and even alot of the metalcore (Black Dahlia Murder, Devildriver) and yes, I'm even into the wimpcore (Aiden, AFI, Atreyu, Coheed and Cambria) I just listen to it and if I like it it's cool. There has to be something about a band thats different to get my money. Even if it's a cookie cutter band, as long as there is something catchy there it's good.

AC/DC were pretty much my 'gateway' into metal. I was a mad fan and learned the basics of how to play guitar playing along to their albums. From there I got into Iron Maiden, and then a mate gave me a cassette with Master of Puppets on one side and Ride the Lightning on the other, and I was gone.