What band got you into metal?

Metallica. The ambition in songs like Master of Puppets and The Call of Ktulu made them stand out from most of the other stuff in my dad's collection. My progression was basically the standard trad -> thrash -> death, and I'm still far more partial to the former two.

Ozzy, Dream Theater and Metallica were my first.

So I guess I liked Heavy, Prog and Thrash metal. Stuck with that for the longest time. In the past few years I branched out into other subgenres. Now Doom is up there as one of my favorites too. Some Death.

What first "real" metal band, or what pseudo-metal gateway band started me down the metal road?

Genre progression is pretty standard:

Rock>Numetal>Thrash/MDM/Trad>everything else

What first "real" metal band, or what pseudo-metal gateway band started me down the metal road?

Genre progression is pretty standard:

Rock>Numetal>Thrash/MDM/Trad>everything else

do what ever you want you could even say that Elvis Presley started your journey to metal. What ever you want people to know.

sabbath, metallica, megadeth

first dm: tales from the thousand lakes
first bm: anthems to the welkin at dusk

I've liked Sabbath and Metallica since I was young.

But as far as more underground bands go, Blind Guardian was my introduction. I used to only listen to power metal. It wasn't until college that I began getting into black metal and other extreme genres.

Metallica. My classmates told me about them after Reload had been announced.

Started off liking traditional metal/NWOBHM (the bands that Metallica covers on Garage Inc). Apart from that I never focused too much on any particular genre.

Metallica really got me into metal.

Genre-wise: Hard rock -> Glam -> Heavy metal -> Thrash -> Death - > Some Black, and lately a lot of progressive/avant-garde stuff.

"Wow" moments were listening to Slayer's Reign in Blood for the first time and before that Metallica for the first time (Fight Fire with Fire was the first song). Also Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness whilst stoned.

metallica ---> sabbath, priest, the big four ---> opeth/katatonia/mdb/etc ---> burzum/at the gates ---> fates warning/helstar

these were all kickstarting distinct phases. after that i was kinda branching out all over the place.

my worst/nerdiest origin story: i associate HVIS LYSET TAR OSS with unreal tournament because the first time i heard it (and immediately loved it) was while playing it at a lan party.

Metallica. First album was ...and Justics for All. Once the main riff to Blackened came in, I was sold.

This tape is where it all started for me ...
mn5B4BooEAPoFRkiUAS9PVA.jpg