How did you get into metal?

I always like this topic. Srsly.

Anyway, I was a big Metallica nut when I was in my mid-teens, so I would gobble up any and all Metallica I could find. After that, I got into Pantera, Slayer and other assorted metal bands. I think The Haunted was in there too, but I'm not sure. It wasn't until sophomore year of college that I discovered Killswitch Engage. I heard Alive or Just Breathing and was completely blown away by Jesse Leach's vocal performance on that record. That album single-handedly catapulted my interest in metal into the Andromeda galaxy. That summer (since the nearest town was 20 miles and I didn't have a car or money), I bought up as much metal as I could find. Cephalic Carnage, Dark Tranquillity, you fucking name it, I probably bought it.

I think the first extreme metal album I bought was Heartwork.

First time I ever heard any Heavy Music was when I saw a SOiL video for Halo on the music channel. I immediatly knew that this was the music type I was gonna listen to for the rest of my life. I then went on Wikipedia and looked up Metal and read all about these crazy genres (Punk Metal anyone?) and thought Viking Metal looked cool.

That then got me intrested in bands like Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Einherjer. Which got me intested in Death Metal, Folk Metal and Black Metal respectively.

I never went through a nu-metal phase... :D

Internet high five!

:headbang:

Seether is nu-metal:p.

I got into metal through Slipknot's first cd. From there was Cock and Ball Torture. I than got into Cradle Of Filth which than led me to Darkthrone. I have been into metal for the past 5 years. For about two years I have been getting into Indie and Drone Doom so my taste in music is always changing.

As everyone, I had the whole Nu-Metal phase.
After that, I started changing tastes, and ended up being into indie. Nothing really came of it until a last year when alot of my mates were listening to it and trying to convince me to. I just said "Fuck off. It's all screaming". And did for about half a year, until my mate downloaded some metal about WWII (Sabaton is anyones interested) and I loved it. From there I slowly slipped away from indie and into metal until finally I found the stuff I liked.
Surprisingly it was DevilDriver being played on Scrubs that actually tipped me over the edge and made me listen to other stuff.

It was in the late 80s, and I was listening to hard rock/hair metal and Metallica. I wanted to find more stuff like Metallica (heavy and dark, free of girly lyrics), so I found more thrash bands, and eventually got into death and black metal.

I only liked nu-metal for maybe a year back in 1997. then I got into punk and hardcore, then grindcore and doom and then finally into black and death metal. I didn't come around for power metal until a few months ago.

borrowed the black album from my cousin back in 95 because i thought the snake on the cover looked so cool,listened only to metallica for about 3 years,then got into helloween and megadeth,then it just rolled on

Somehow I managed to never hear any of Metallica's fast songs until about a year ago. I'd only heard the '90s crap, plus a few of the slower ones off Ride the Lightning. When I finally downloaded RtL last year and played it from the beginning, I was pretty shocked at how fast, dark, and aggressive it was. It was hard to imagine that the cheesy pop-metal band of the '90s had anything at all to do with extreme metal.

When I was 12 I watched the Nu Metal videos on MTV and loved Mudvayne,
System of a Down, and Slipknot, and enjoyed other Nu Metal acts as well, and I didn't get into anything beyond Nu Metal until I had gotten into high school metalwise, I listened to some Lamb of God, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Cradle of Filth and had dropped all of Nu Metal except for Slipknot, Mudvayne, and System of a Down, I was 16 when I liked mainstream metal, and then I was checking out metal on amazon and someone said if yuo want to hear real metal listen to Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel and I loved the Morbid Angel samples I heard of Domination and I loved Dawn of The Angry when I heard it on Windows Media Player, but I didn't start buying extreme metal until a year later, and between then I still listened to occasional Nu Metal, Mainstream Metal and Morbid Angel and Six Feet Under. And I read someone discussing black metal and they mentioned Emperor and I sampled In The Nightside Eclipse and bought it when I was nearly 18 and from then on I got into more death and black metal though I still do like the mainstream metal.

I dunno how my metal interest came to be, i was raised on the oldies, and motown.

I heard master of puppets once, on a forbidden cassette tape that was given to my brother. so i guess metallica was my entrance way into the metal realm.

But as far as getting to darker forms of metal, I heard Borknagar on the radio late one night...gods of my world. :headbang: