Is Death condidered Death Metal???

Is Death "Death Metal"???

• Total voters
Sigh okay, Chuck cited these influnces several times, Watchtower, Queensryche, Sortilège, King Diamond, and Possessed. He tinkered with jazz as well, wait....that's it...jazz was influenced by punk. :) I see your point.

Seriously it would be better for everyone if I left you to interweb bully someone else.

I didn't realize that Death was the only death metal band. You also just said that Death was influenced by Possessed, which supports V5's argument. Death metal evolved from thrash metal, which was influenced by punk music. The other influences you mentioned are clearly factors in Death's later music, rather than their early albums.

I didn't realize that Death was the only death metal band. You also just said that Death was influenced by Possessed, which supports V5's argument. Death metal evolved from thrash metal, which was influenced by punk music. The other influences you mentioned are clearly factors in Death's later music, rather than their early albums.

I think you missed what I was saying I do not deny Death's connection to Thrash, only look, the other thrash band is watchtower. I am denying it's connection to punk. Watchtower and all of his other influences have 0 connection to punk.

The difference being that you're talking about Death's influences, and we were talking about death metal in general.

Influences are not the same thing as direct evolution which may or may not be pretty much subconscious. It was only natural for death metal to evolve from thrash metal, albeit a more extreme and specific style of thrash. And furthermore, it has become a VERY different beast.

Am I the only one who thinks this kind of elitist opinionated jousting is complete and utter idiocy?

I mean, how long has the 'ol interwebz been around now, have we all not learned that our own opinions are merely that, and no (and I mean NO) amount of "convincing" will change anything for the most part??

State your opinion and respect others' folks, or you will find your time here is growing very short (if not past due). Get over your own opinions and realize there are a gabillion other ones out there, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, you are off the mark somehow and you're lost within your own self absorbed verbal flatulence.

/rant

The difference being that you're talking about Death's influences, and we were talking about death metal in general.

I realize this, but if later DM bands started to use punk, than that's no longer how Death metal started, we know bands such as Atheist, and Death were not influenced by punk in a direct manner, and as I have shown not in an indirect manner either. Do we suppose Gorguts was influenced by punk?

"Influences are not the same thing as direct evolution which may or may not be pretty much subconscious. It was only natural for death metal to evolve from thrash metal, albeit a more extreme and specific style of thrash. And furthermore, it has become a VERY different beast."

I agree with this, Just for you metalages....MY OPINION is that the thrash death metal evolved (the combination of all influences) from is not in large part the same thrash originally borrowing from punk. Now for Blackmail, yes a few early DM bands may be able to trace back to punk , however the only one that strongly comes to mind is Obituary's rythem section.

Possessed was influenced by punk, and they influenced Death. Possessed is probably the first death metal band, whether or not you think so.

Am I the only one who thinks this kind of elitist opinionated jousting is complete and utter idiocy?

I mean, how long has the 'ol interwebz been around now, have we all not learned that our own opinions are merely that, and no (and I mean NO) amount of "convincing" will change anything for the most part??

State your opinion and respect others' folks, or you will find your time here is growing very short (if not past due). Get over your own opinions and realize there are a gabillion other ones out there, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, you are off the mark somehow and you're lost within your own self absorbed verbal flatulence.

/rant

Some things are just facts that no matter how much your opinions differ on them, they're true anyways.

Kind of like evolution.

I realize this, but if later DM bands started to use punk, than that's no longer how Death metal started, we know bands such as Atheist, and Death were not influenced by punk in a direct manner, and as I have shown not in an indirect manner either. Do we suppose Gorguts was influenced by punk?

Congratulations, you have NO grasp of what evolution fucking means at all.

No.

But for the record I'm completely with 5V and Blackmail, Vacant's obstinate denial of reality makes me wonder if he's trolling.

I still insist that punk and metal were initially different genres. the structure of music itself was different.I don't deny possible mutual influence, but there were two parallel lines evolving from heavy metal and punk rock. which had very different musical styles. and the impact of heavy metal was much more to death metal than that of punk rock. punk influenced different 'core' styles which I personally don't like because that is not metal, literally. it's aggressive downtuned punk rock sometimes with a couple of metal features but it's not metal to the core. I mean the rythm, the manner of playing, vocal and many other musical paradigms.

Okay,let me rephrase this: what is it exactly about Unquestionable Presence that makes it inherently death metal and albums like Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance something else entirely?

Practically everything about UP, aside from a few somewhat superficial details (e.g. the slightly atypical vocal style), exemplifies death metal. That is, everything from the phrasing and melodic/tonal character of the riffs, to the drumming, to the song structures themselves. Later death on the other hand, especially the last two albums, de-emphasizes many of the defining characteristics of death metal. That is, later Death utilizes simpler song structures more akin to those found in thrash and heavy metal. It also utilizes the sort of rhythmic expectation in the way characteristic of thrash and heavy metal to structure the phrases/riffs. Furthermore, the actual tonalities employed on said albums is closer to those utilized in more "traditional" forms of metal as opposed to the chromaticism and tonal ambiguity characteristic of death metal.

Congratulations, you have NO grasp of what evolution fucking means at all.

IS this a serious rebuttal?

For Blackmail, actually the members of Possessed as far as I recall listed early shredd as their prime influence, Satriani, Malmsteen, and so on.

For WeAreinflames Have you yet listened to any of the songs I suggested from the blastbeat topic? Yea....haven't forgotten about that.