Need Some Recommendations

Necromortis

Mar 7, 2005
Yeah, well, the title says it...minus one thing. The words anal retentive. Yep, me. I'm anal retentive :) I'm very specific in what I like and what I don't like.

Anyway, I like melodic-death metal, such as At The Gates (Slaughter of the Soul being all I have), In Flames (their earlier stuff, TJR, Colony, Whoracle, etc.), Dark Tranquillity (I love all of it, I have Haven, Projector, The Gallery, Character, and Damage Done). Gothenburg-smothenburg. I like it ok?

So, any melodic-death metal recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I'm getting into black metal (maybe melodic black metal?) I dunno. Stuff that isn't too repetitive. But the production is getting to me. A lot. Anyway, I would die for some bands like Astriaal, I love those guys. I've also got some Blut Aus Nord, which isn't to bad, and I'm liking Dissection as well.

So, anything along those lines (Astriaal first though) would be great as well.

Thanks,
~Necro

Ok, I think you will like these a lot.

Melodeath
Sacrilege - Lost in the beauty you slay
Sacrilege - The fifth season
Arsis - A celebration of guilt

Melodic black metal
Naglfar - anything really, cause they have only releases 5/5 material
Sacramentum - Finis Malorum/Far away from the sun (EP+Album now on one cd)
Dawn - Slaughtersun (crown of the triarchy) (available as a double cd with the rest of their discography on it)
Vinterland - My last chapter

melodeath :
early Arch Enemy
Carcass's Heartwork
Insomnium
early Soilwork

meloblack metal :
Born of Thorns
Dornenreich
Klabautamann
Mystic Forest
Secrets of the Moon

Good god, Sacrilege is awesome. Where can I get some of that? I seriously doubt that they would have it at my piece of shit local music store. And I can't find ANY tracks at all for download :( I'd love an album by them (preferably both).

And Arsis? *jaw drops* Wow.

I haven't had the chance to check out any of the MBM recommendations, but I will as soon as I can.

Keep em coming right now!

EDIT:

I also have Carcass' Heartwork and all Soilwork. It's good.

Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry and Galloping Through Battle Ruins
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From a Golden Hall
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
At the Gates - TRITSIO and WFIKTBD

you would probably like Opeth too ... but get the above first.

I don't get why that as soon as Dimmu played Ozzfest and Made a Video that was on Mtv2 a few times everyone on metal forums bashes them.

Dude, I listen to In Flames remember? I just think Dimmu sucks :p I don't watch TV, and I don't go to Ozzfest, I didn't know they did either of those two things.

~NEcro

BlackMetalTyrant said:
I don't get why that as soon as Dimmu played Ozzfest and Made a Video that was on Mtv2 a few times everyone on metal forums bashes them.
Most people lost respect for Dimmu Borgir after Stormblast, after that they managed to rape black metal imagery, and started playing a more commercial, heavy metal brand of black metal. It's not like they ever released anything of worth anyway...

I haven't heard too much early Dimmu, but I bought Death Cult right after it came out and I think its a really good CD.

Marduk, Dimmu, and Cradle of Filth are the least esteemed BM bands. I've never bothered to listen to any of these because I generally trust the reviews I've seen. Why bother with these when you can listen to the good, innovative stuff out there?

To stay on topic, you probably will like the last two Death albums.

BlackMetalTyrant said:

Yeah, Dimmu has been getting bashed long before Ozzfest, but that doesn't keep me from rockin out to DCA. Sounds spectacular in surround sound.