I watched the 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre today

The Brood is one of my favorite "horrors of parenthood" movies along with Eraserhead and Rosemary's Baby, but seriously I haven't been so fucked by a movie since age 8. I'm at work now on no sleep!

man, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is SOOOOO much scarier than the remakes. the image of leatherface slamming the steel door after he kills the first guy plays on a loop in my head

inky i think it's pretty cool that you got that reaction, even though you probably didn't enjoy it at the time.

i watched it again recently and i still think it breaks some sort of boundary, but what's weird is that my perception of that boundary changes as i get older. it's still pretty frightening, but right now i'm more impressed with the detail of the universe it creates.

for the timeframe, and the budget, i'm pretty sure it stands out as an evolved object?

I've watched it a few times now and I really think this is one of the best horror movies I've seen. There isn't a single scene that I could pick out as scariest, more like an overall unrelenting nightmare feeling, but the images that most easily tattooed themselves onto my brain are:

1. leatherface emerges from skull room, kills kid, slams door
2. girl dangling from meathook as leatherface slices friend to bits
3. half alive girl flails from cooler
4. paper-skinned grandfather repeatedly drops hammer while birthmark kid restrains girl over bucket

That whole dinner scene is traumatizing actually. The emotional brutality in this movie is off the charts and everything just happens completely unheralded. It's exhausting and existentializing to watch.

another great part is the scene where the father is driving the last girl back to the house. the look on this face and the way he keeps laughing is absolutely demented.