Ian or Hetfield

The God of Hellfire

thrashmaster 9000 pro
Oct 31, 2004
the woods
if we like tallica vs thrax comparos how about james hetfield vs scott ian. The two definitive rhythm guitarists of all time. it should be less one sided than the lars vs charlie thing anyway. I give slight edge to hetfield.

Hetfield, no, wait, Ian, no, Hetfield, no, Ian, no, ARGH!!!!!! Dig 'em both, too hard to decide, if were just talking guitar playing, gotta go with Ian, but old skool James was such a bad ass.

Maybe Anthrax should hire a coach too. Then they can be just as fucked up as Metallica. I guess I will pick Scott Ian. I've liked Anthrax better than metallica since the first time I heard them.

Arg_Hamster said:
Hard one... compare the years 1984 to 1988 I´d say Hetfield, small margin... but since then he´s gone MEH. Scott get´s my vote.

I agree, with the exception of 84-91 for Hetfield. That black album had some SWEET riffs and the best guitar tone put on record. Scotty was more of an influence on my playing though.

as far as great rthym players they are probably the best in the business for there time,hell even dimebag said he couldnt downpick like james!!

have to say james simply becasue he writes all the music wich is alot harder than just copying someone.

wow hard one. I think they both influenced my playing about some amount. I don't think alcohol made James a heavier player. I mean he was drunk in the Load era too. Man I really can't decide. Um man I guess Old School James. No Scott!!! I can't do this.....

Man, you all are nut swingers.

Definitely old school Hetfield for that fluid sound, but Ian for the speed that kills.

I put sum thought into this and I couldn't decide. Of course, I based most of my comparisons on the thrashy shit from the mid to late 80's and I have to say I like both styles equally.
Then I remembered how St. Angry Metallicas last disc made me and how pleased I was w/ WCFYA and TGOTE. Thus, coming to the conclusion that Ian still has it. Whereas Hetfield just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

do you include live in that comparison?I think theyre equal live.
But then im a closet tallica fanvoy in a thrax shirt so im backing Het all the way!
Hes was the reason i picked up a guitar, and im now studing music at University so :loco:

hetfield looks older because he used to be pissed more often. he also like to play in the burning magnesium and stuff. fucking dyers eve, i wish they would play it live someday.