Ian or Hetfield

James is the better of the two and is an incredible guitar player. His riffs are amazing, yes even from St.Anger (which i think is a good CD). But both Scott and James are cool as penguins pockets

Mickenglanduk said:
James is the better of the two and is an incredible guitar player. His riffs are amazing, yes even from St.Anger (which i think is a good CD). But both Scott and James are cool as penguins pockets

they both definately kick ass. this isn't like the ulrich vs benante post where we praise charlie and just rip on lars. they're both the osirus of this shit. and i like st. anger as well because james always writes awesome lyrics. I just feel that lars and, to an even greater degree, kirk don't contribute a whole lot to the album. but guitar solos and big drums probably don't really have a place on an album like st anger.

are we talking best player or best writer?

if we are talking about writing the stuff, i´d say hetfield because we know he wrote most of the riffs with very few exceptions...
as far as i know a lot of stuff from anthrax is created by charlie, and as i am not sure what scott did write...it´s hard to point him.

but both play like motherfuckers and have played some of the most killer riffs of all time. no head, munky, #7 or whoever have done anything like them. hm, DIMEBAG is the only one that can be among them.

monstro said:
are we talking best player or best writer?

if we are talking about writing the stuff, i´d say hetfield because we know he wrote most of the riffs with very few exceptions...
as far as i know a lot of stuff from anthrax is created by charlie, and as i am not sure what scott did write...it´s hard to point him.

but both play like motherfuckers and have played some of the most killer riffs of all time. no head, munky, #7 or whoever have done anything like them. hm, DIMEBAG is the only one that can be among them.

au contraire.... Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, and Dave Mustaine could hang. Easy.

I read something a while back where mustaine was talking about how he tried to show hetfield how to play certin riffs but he couldn't pick them up (obviously from the metal up your ass days). I don't know if that was just mustaine bitching cause he was angry about getting kicked out or if there was some basis for it. he hasn't really played much speed since rust in peace. still kicks ass though when he's not singing about frigging cyborgs. king and dimebag-definately up there with them.

The God of Hellfire said:
I read something a while back where mustaine was talking about how he tried to show hetfield how to play certin riffs but he couldn't pick them up (obviously from the metal up your ass days). I don't know if that was just mustaine bitching cause he was angry about getting kicked out or if there was some basis for it. he hasn't really played much speed since rust in peace. still kicks ass though when he's not singing about frigging cyborgs. king and dimebag-definately up there with them.
I can kinda see that, it happens to me, but only when whoever is showing me is an impatient fuk and wont slow it down so you can see what notes are being played! i usually bluff it anyway! :Spin:
And i would say dimebag pissed on them (even tho het is my god.)

Fuck! Hard question! Hmm. After thinking about it for awhile, I gotta go with:

1983 - 1990 James Hetfield

1990 - Scott Ian

Overall, based on technical ability, I think Hetfield is the better guitarist.