Ibanez Edge Zero -- Will it flutter without the ZPS3?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I know some guys on here, like Ola and Nick (I Am Abomination), use/have used the Ibanez RGD2127z. I'd like to get one, because I kinda miss playing around with a tremolo, but my question is... Will the Edge Zero flutter easily if you take the ZPS3 out? I know it won't with the ZPS3, due to what the ZPS3 does, but if I am going through the trouble of using a trem, I want to be able to do flutter effects...

Anybody know for sure? Or, better yet, can anyone who has one post a clip/video showing it flutter?

Out of all the trems I've used in the past, the Petrucci trem was probably the best. Very stable AND very easy to do wild flutter effects on..... but they are pretty damn pricey guitars, especially the newer JPX/JPXI/JPXII/etc....

Yes it will flutter a lot better if you take it out, and it's very easy to remove. I have an ibanez premium with a different trem but the same ZPS thing. Took it out, have had no problems with tuning stability and you can flutter. Trem feels smoother without it IMO.

I'm a huge whammy bar fan! It most definitely will flutter, it acts just like a Floyd when you take it out. I have guitars with the Edge zero, original Edge, Edge lowpro and Floyd Rose, IMO the Edge Zero is a better design than all of them! I like the original Floyd the least.

I'm a huge whammy bar fan! It most definitely will flutter, it acts just like a Floyd when you take it out. I have guitars with the Edge zero, original Edge, Edge lowpro and Floyd Rose, IMO the Edge Zero is a better design than all of them! I like the original Floyd the least.

Nice. That's what I wanted to hear.

Do you think there'd be any problems getting the tension right/getting the trem level with the body on a 7 string being limited to just 2 springs?

I've had Floyds forever, OFRs, cheap pot metal trash, Schallers...

I can't say a single bad thing about the Edge Zero.

Question for you guys - this may seem kinda random, but I had an RG with an Edge Pro (or whatever Ibanez put in their Prestige line circa 2005-6), and while it was well made and all that, I didn't like how low the bar was relative to the body as compared to an OFR (I guess just by virtue of how it mounted, rather than a different angle); is this still the case on the Edge Zero, or is it now around the same height as an OFR?

Question for you guys - this may seem kinda random, but I had an RG with an Edge Pro (or whatever Ibanez put in their Prestige line circa 2005-6), and while it was well made and all that, I didn't like how low the bar was relative to the body as compared to an OFR (I guess just by virtue of how it mounted, rather than a different angle); is this still the case on the Edge Zero, or is it now around the same height as an OFR?

Something to make you laugh dude whilst we're on an ibanez discussion, your old red ibby has just tracked all the rhythms on the latest Mors Principium album haha!