Trading my Ibanez guitar for a Schecter, should I go for it?

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I saw a used Schecter hellraiser C1 (MI South Korea) and asked if the guy would like to trade it for my Ibanez RG470 (MI Japan) w/ Dimarzio Evolution which I have been trying to seel since december 09. The guy agreed to trade it for my guitar + $. I am a 7-string guitar player but I thought I could set the Schecter up for B tuning as well.

This is the link to his guitar (the site is like Ebay): http://www.masoportunidades.com.ar/...y-quilted-maple-disponible-en-capital-federal

The things is:
- I was counting on the money I would get from my guitar to replace my other guitars' pickups and maybe upgrade my computer
- I'm not sure if getting a 6-string is a good idea for me. I am selling the rg470 because I am using my other guitar (rg7421, 7 strings) all the time, but then again, tunning it to B might work out just as well.
- Pros: I am starting to consider my guitar is near-impossible to sell because people are not interested in it and/or not willing to expend such money for a guitar in here.

note: I am not posting prices because Argentina's prices for new/used guitars are very different from any other countries and way higher, but if anyone cares:
- Ibanez RG470: I want to get at least 750 usd (this guy is offering 700usd for it - I've seen other jap rg470 for more than 800)
- Schecter C1: he's asking 900 usd for it (new ones are ~1300usd, so he is selling it for 70% the original price, which sounds quite good to me)
- extre $ = 200 usd. So it would be rg470 + 200 usd

Not having played the Ibby you currently own, I can not comment on how it stacks up to the Hellraiser, but I did own a 7 string Hellraiser for a couple of years, so I can give you my opinion on it.

I'd say they are a little overpriced for what you're getting. The workmanship on mine was nice, but I remembering geting equally as good, if not better, workmanship on used LPs and SGs that went for half of what a new Schecter goes for today.

Also, mine had some fret buzzing issues that I could never get fully worked out. Intonation wasn't so hot, as the saddle for the A string couldn't be moved rearward enough to handle A standard.

The EMG 707s that were in it had that flat, plastic sound that seems to be inherent in all active pups, but theses particular ones seemed especially dead sounding (yes, I changed the batteries as soon as I got it home :)).

The one area where I thought the Schecter really needed work was the ergonomics of the body. The front edge, where the underside of your forearm rests, was very sharp. I know some other Schecter users found this to be a problem too, especially during extended playing sessions. Why Schecter just doesn't run a sander over that area is something I've never figured out.

Personally, it sounds like you're better off just selling one of your Ibbys rather than trading for another guitar.

Well, I went for it and I am fucking happy. The Schecter plays really good, though I need to have it setup for B tuning and have the strings lowered because they are a bit too high for my taste (and I tried using the screws in the bridge but if I get some fret buzz on the higher strings). The pickups (EMG 81 and 85) sound much better than that shitty Evolution on my rg470 and of course better (way better) than the stock ones on my MIJ Ibanez RG7421. Here are a couple of pictures: