Ibanez or Fender bass?

Don't think you can go wrong with either, just depends on what kinda sound you're going for.

Fender Jazz's sound great doing anything. The mexican ones really benefit from a pickup upgrade though imo.
The Ibanez SR is also great, has a darker more modern sound due to mahogany body and the active pickups. Those bartolini's are bloody nice though. The 3 band eq will make it pretty flexible, though personally I like my basses as stripped back as possible so I spend less time twiddling knobs and more time playing (my current bass is a Fender P with no volume or tone controls for that very reason!)

The Ibanez has a proper lollipop stick neck though, whereas the Jazz will have a bit more bulk (Jazz neck's are still pretty slim though)

If there's somewhere you can go and try them both out that would be best, as they're different enough that you will most likely have a preference to one over the other.

What style are you going for??
Personally speaking... I'd go for something a little different from each Company....

From fender... I'd go with something similar with a maple neck/fretboard
From Ibanez... maybe the new BTB with EMGs already added for uber tone

I´d go for the Fender... I really love Ibanez as a company and their guitars are great but I mostly prefer the sound of Fender basses.

I find the necks on Ibanez basses, at the least the BTB series anyway, to be infinitely more playable than any Fender bass.
If the music is fairly technical, you definitely want a bass with a more modern, more easy to play neck like a Spector or an Ibanez, but Fender can bring the goods too as they sound good but just don't play as easily due to their neck design and small fretboard radius (which means the action cannot go as low)

I'll go for the Fender...
My bass player has a bass from the SR Series (only the 305 though), and its ok for the price, but nothing more.
I think most Ibanez stock PU arent that great...but the SR really has a great neck.
It also sounds really nice through a decent amp (lots and lots of low end rumble) but recorded it misses a lot of the high midrange attack that I personally like to hear on a bass.

I find the necks on Ibanez basses, at the least the BTB series anyway, to be infinitely more playable than any Fender bass.
If the music is fairly technical, you definitely want a bass with a more modern, more easy to play neck like a Spector or an Ibanez, but Fender can bring the goods too as they sound good but just don't play as easily due to their neck design and small fretboard radius (which means the action cannot go as low)

Agreed. Playability should come first.... unless you're playing really simple music.

Besides, it's not the sound of Fender you guys like. It's the single coil pickups. You could get more playable basses with single coils...

Ok so for playability and good low goes the ibanez but for good high midrange goes the fender.:err:Actually i thought that i could get similar results when recorded and mixed with the rest of the tracks.:err: