Ibanez Soundtank TM-4?

666Phoenix666

Steelbath Suicide
Nov 24, 2003
I can get this pedal second hand for 40 bucks. It immediatly caught my eye as it seems pretty cheap and that it's supposedly made for playing thrashmetal... so it'll probably sound hardcore.
Does anybody know if it works well on a BC Rich Warlock?
In general, what would you say is the most brutal, grinding distortion pedal out there? I weary to buy those Boss MT or HM things, I never sure if they're really the hardest pedals out there like the store clerks always say :p

i've never found anything in the price range that beats an MT-2, and the only thing i've found that gets a better old style death metal distortion is one of the old boss HM pedals with all the knobs cranked. Really it sounds kinda awful unless you want that exact sound. I've never heard of that pedal, it's not even on Harmony-Central (GREAT place to look before you buy ANYTHING, go to user reviews), and I wouldn't buy it unless you can try it out first. Don't buy any gear without playing with it first unless you know exactly what you are going to get.

but to the previous post he's absolutely right, no pedal matches a good amp. I finally got my laney tweaked out the way I want it and it blows the metalzone to hell.

To my ears, pedal distortion is the most hideous thing ever invented. The only use I can think of for such a pedal is boosting an already overdriven sound, NOT providing the distortion itself.

TM-4?
may it be you`re talking about the TM-5 Thrashmetal Soundtank???
I have one of those (got it used) and I play an NJ Warlock It sounds good, but it isn`t extremely versatile (I don`t use to change my sound very often).
I have to agree though, that a good amp would be better than a pedal

Yeah, I meant TM-5. I noticed that typo right after I posted, but my connection was running so slow I didn't bother to edit.

A good amp probably would be better, but I'm really looking for something in the price range of a pedal.

Thanks for all the input.

666Phoenix666 said:
In general, what would you say is the most brutal, grinding distortion pedal out there? I weary to buy those Boss MT or HM things, I never sure if they're really the hardest pedals out there like the store clerks always say :p
Göhöhöh. For the "hardest" pedal, why don't you try out the DOD FX-86B Death Metal Distortion? I bought it because at the time, I needed a distortion pedal and it was a lot cheaper than the MT-2. Compared to an MT-2, it can sound more brutal in a way but also thinner. It can give a lot of low-end if you play downtuned death metal. It has no distortion knob, it's always at maximum distortion. Also it can feedback like crazy. It's cool because it's cheap and has obscene amounts of distortion, but it's not really something you'd play live with I suppose. Since I got my V-Amp 2 I don't really use it anymore.

The overdrive from my friend's 15 watt POS crate amp sounds better than a pedal.

Mmm I love re-stringing my guitar and polishing the fretboard/body. :D

well as its fundamental use is for trash metal im gessing its a very generic stereothypical distortion for trash, so it probably has no mids or very little, this means that it will probably sound good in your bedroom , but in a live situation you wont cut through and wont be heard