Tube Screamer FAQ Version 1

That first post was long as fuck and didn't make much sens enough to stay focused.. get to the point.

Tube scream -> use with tube amps to even out the distortion.

Hey guys i'm wondering, my guitar teacher had a TS9 from the late 80's that tightened the low end more so than my maxon od9+ pro and my TS7 and the mid hump was HUGE, are all TS9s like this? My TS7 is way to noisy to use any gain from the pedal and it still has some noise even with my noise gate maxed :(

I did actually answer that question more precisely and without conjecture in the first post, but apparently now we can't even expect people to *read* so... oh, well.

Anyway, the settings on your Maxon have some impact - I'm under the impression that the Boost feature on that pedal is the 'normal' TS-type thing, and it should be noted that a lot of variants and mods just get rid of the mid hump. (Some people want it to be their only distortion, others want thicker leads and don't tune so low or use so much gain, et cetera.)

On the TS7... the bits are actually the same, and the components in a TS9 can still be wonky enough that I don't expect much of a difference in general. However, as much noise as you're describing indicates that something somewhere is horribly wrong.

Searanox, if you're commenting with 'pretty similar' regarding how the TS7 and TS9 are related, you just don't know enough to be of much real help. Build quality aside, handwaving things away with 'pretty similar' - and not 'same circuit with a boost switch' - is the kind of sloppy nonsense that leads to guitarists not knowing the first damn thing about their equipment.

Jef

Just picked up a Delta Labs Tube Overdrive for $19 at Guitar Centurd. Seems to be doing what a tubescreamer does. If anyone has more info on how close they are, i would appreciate it. I don't have a connection at home right now so i'm sneakin' on sneap forum at work (shhhhhhh).

DeltaLabTO1TubeOverdrivePedal.jpg

Searanox, if you're commenting with 'pretty similar' regarding how the TS7 and TS9 are related, you just don't know enough to be of much real help. Build quality aside, handwaving things away with 'pretty similar' - and not 'same circuit with a boost switch' - is the kind of sloppy nonsense that leads to guitarists not knowing the first damn thing about their equipment.
You're probably right. I do know the pedals are internally the same except for the TS9/Hot switch, but build quality is going to be irrelevant when dealing with the TS7/9 unless there is an actual problem with the pedal. I have heard conjecture that the different layouts of the pedals, internally, can lead to tonal differences, but I don't personally know if that has any consequence (not likely any more than between individual TS9s).

For what it's worth, I retract my comment regarding the TS7. Really, we need more blind A/B tests with audio gear, especially a lot of the "classic" stuff that people love unconditionally.

Just picked up a Delta Labs Tube Overdrive for $19 at Guitar Centurd. Seems to be doing what a tubescreamer does. If anyone has more info on how close they are, i would appreciate it. I don't have a connection at home right now so i'm sneakin' on sneap forum at work (shhhhhhh).
Can't find any specs online. Sound tests however suggest it is very similar to a TS9, good buy if you got it so cheap.

Yea i'm looking for literally the TIGHTEST sounding boost there is, the way huge rhino and amptweaker tight drive look good.

Maxon OD820. I currently own 5 or 6 different overdrives and they all have inherent flaws, flavor, or "imperfections" except for the OD820. If the OD820 has one flaw it's that it sounds perfect, and one does not always desire perfectly tight, transparent, and clear tone...

I guess i'm just going to have to get all 3 :)

The od820 was the one I was looking at before but I saw a thread where someone said the green rhino was the tightest most clinical sounding boost and the od808 was more transparent sounding.