Tight bass *without* a Tube Screamer

HM2

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2009
All-

New here, but have lurked for ages -- amazing resource, thanks for being available.

My current rig is a TS808 through a JCM 800, and I find the level of gain, and the tightness of the bass response for chuggy vintage metal riffing right on target for what I do. However I could do without the cables, batteries, and/or power adapters. Something in a lower wattage would be great too. This is the loudest 50W I've ever heard.

So I'm interested in checking out some other amps in the same gain and tonal ballpark, especially as far as bass response, but without the pedal. Before I go do that, I wanted to check with the experts for a few suggestions. I see that the Tube Screamer is a popular choice for bass tightening even with tight amps like the 5150 and its derivatives. (Which I have not played, but it's on the list.) Is there really no substitute? What other amps should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the speedy response. You're right, I should probably demo a 2203KK. Now if they'd make one in 35 watts minus the tribal tattoos...

haha
the tribal stuff does let it down a little bit eh?

great sounding amp though
search out lasse lammert's clips that he's posted on here, sounds utterly fucking gorgeous

and as for the whole TS thing, i dunno man, theres nothing quite like the sound of a TS in front of an amp

oh yeah theres engls
the ol' mudball doesnt really need a TS, infact sounds even worse with it, not really that good an amp either way though

I think you could get the same result by changing guitar rather than changing amps.

I've found recently that I prefer the sound of one of my guitars without a tubescreamer, I was always finding that with this particular guitar it sounded a bit too boxy no matter what I did with the eq. So I ran a guitar DI through a spectrum analyzer and found that it's pretty lean on the low end.

I think this is basically down to the wood in the guitar (older Ibanez SZ) it's a mahogany body but it has a maple neck and a thick maple top, which seem to give me quite alot of high mid's. Also the pickups (Bareknuckle Nailbombs) are pretty tight in the low end.

If you want to stick to the same guitar and just change amp then check out the Kerry King signature Marshall. The beast function on that is basically a tubescreamer, so you'd get the same effect without having extra pedals etc.

Ha, grew up on an HM2 (hence the screen name) when I had no money and even less of a clue. And I while know it has attained a certain cult status, man I can't stand the sound.

Will add the Fire/Mud Ball to the list, and definitely scan for 2203KK clips later.

Thanks again guys!

Actually it looks like Lasse's 2203KK clips in this post are all *with* a Tube Screamer. A quick forum search did not pull up any raw clips but I may be missing them -- let me know if you know of any that have been posted.

thx

Changing guitars could definitely bring you into new grounds with/without the TS.

I personally would recommend you buy an Engl Powerball; a lot more versatile than the fireball (which is not just a stripped down powerball!), and one of my personal favorites! You can dial in so many tones with that amp, I don't understand why everybody keeps flaming Engl's. And you won't need a TS!

Actually it looks like Lasse's 2203KK clips in this post are all *with* a Tube Screamer. A quick forum search did not pull up any raw clips but I may be missing them -- let me know if you know of any that have been posted.

thx

Yeah, I never understood why he done the clips with the TS AND beast switch on tbh. Would be like running 2 tubescreamers one after the other before the amp.

Changing guitars could definitely bring you into new grounds with/without the TS.

I personally would recommend you buy an Engl Powerball; a lot more versatile than the fireball (which is not just a stripped down powerball!), and one of my personal favorites! You can dial in so many tones with that amp, I don't understand why everybody keeps flaming Engl's. And you won't need a TS!

People on here don't generally flame Engl's, just the Powerball :lol:

I think the reason is that while the Powerball is an excellent live amp, it is not that good for studio work. I'm a firm believer that whatever amp works great for live performances, will not be good for studio work. And vice versa.

Rectos? Sound great in the studio, but I've never heard a good live sound with them, even from very professional bands :ill:
5150? Sound excellent in the studio, but almost always sound like shit live, including professional bands :erk:

Marshalls? Can sound decent in the studio, but really great in most live cases.
Powerball? Not so hot in the studio, but the best live sound I've ever heard had a Powerball + Marshall (Trio Niskalaukaus, a Finnish metal band).

There's simply completely different needs live and in the studio :kickass:

i had a jcm 800kk great amp but i wasnt fond of the beast mode,
id use my ts9 without beast mode and it sounded great
but yeah i did notice beast mode took off some of the bottom
end from the amp thats why i didnt like it, i dont think beast
mode is a tube screamer though its more of a custom eq
that kicks in, the noise gate is fantastic but is only available
when beast mode is actived that pissed me off lol

i actually sold mine for an engl fireball and i couldnt be happier
haha bar lastnight i blew a transistor of some sort which isnt
good.

i dunno why people always hit out with
mudball or whatever

i use the fireball and my band mate uses a 6505
and my tone does not suffer to the 6505 in a rehersal
or live situation and i always get a decent miced sound from
the thing.

and the engl is tight! u wouldnt need a ts9 with it
i dont anyways but always did with past amps i used

the jcm 800 is a great amp but wasnt my cup of tea
its all down to the style u play aswell.

Rectos? Sound great in the studio, but I've never heard a good live sound with them, even from very professional bands
5150? Sound excellent in the studio, but almost always sound like shit live, including professional bands

are you fucking serious?

this is a joke post, right?

RIGHT?