Tube Screamer FAQ Version 1

I get quite a big effect from the tone control on the TS9, but bear in mind I'm running relatively low-impedance pickups- Fralin Strat pickups (not hot at all) and a humbucker that came out of the neck of an Epi hollowbody. (The bridge was wound hotter but sounded boring)

If you have pickups that are on the sparkly side, like Pearly Gates or old PAFs or whatever- ie NOT hot pickups- the tone control does a lot more.

Thanks to JBroll and also rsf1977- I have joined the TS brigade with a TS9 (store didn't have TS7 on hand) and I'm very pleased with the result.
I'm also a plugin programmer (doing audio units for Logic- Airwindows) and the 'Tube Screamer's Secret' link is all kinds of interesting to me... I've already implemented a similar effect in a tube plugin, 'Hard Vacuum', and now I'm very interested in doing a plugin version of the focussing effect this pedal gives. I'm going to have to run some tones and things through it and see what it does :)

Any news on this? I'm very interested.

Just got myself a ts-7 to go with my Marshall 6100LM after reading the recommendations and holy smokes, this thing is amazing. Running it volume max, tone at 3/4 and gain at 0 pushes the amp in all the right ways. I love how it tames the flub on the low end to give you perfect tight palm mutes. Awesome! :kickass:

first of all hello Jeff!

I wanted to ask
Have you ever considered building a rectifier -or any other amp head?
Some two years ago I saw this video of a guy with a homemade rectifier:

That just blew me away... btw is that you on the video? ;)

Excuse the OT -this is a TS thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question.... if one were to put a TS808 emulation plugin > line out > reamp box > amp

Would that do anything cool, or is that a pretty lame idea? Just a thought that ran through my head.. I mean, I know it wouldn't sound EXACTLY like a TS808, hell, maybe not even close, but could yield some interesting results... Anybody try this?

Jeff just wanted to say awesome info man! Very interesting and hilarious. I have only read a few of your other threads/ responses, but they are a very visual reads for me (keeps my attention). I wish I would have found this thread before I bought my Maxon 808, not that I don't like the 808, just like to be better informed. However being in Afghanistan for going on 2 years and acquiring a small studio (in Afghanistan, lol), its kinda hard to go out and test new gear. So I base a lot of my gear buying off the heavy hitters in this forum. Keep up the great work!!!

Dan

Hi,

Just modded one of my TS7's into a TS808 and I'm quite happy with the result. There's just one thing though I'm not sure about and I was wondering if any of you have some info on this. Compared to the TS7 the TS808's volume is a few db's lower. Is this normal?

Best regards, Ad

I bought a TS808 clone with the original chip. I compared it to the TSE 808 plugin and I must say... Oh my god! Onqel's work is unbelievable! I changed from one to another hundred of times using chords, solo notes, soloing. It is 99,99 % there. Is not easy to hear a difference. I'm now a little penitent about buying the TS808 clone.

Onqel you rule man !!!

Awesome guide, loved the humor but damn! Lol atleast its not as bad as this one guide I read. It was literally the "author" just calling all his clients names and run offs of idiotic ramblings... like (this is made up off the top of the noggin lol) "Now set up the mic and tell that retarded monkey holding a guitar to play what he thinks are notes but are nothing more then teeth scratching at an anal cavity or a walrus while trying to ride a ferris wheel all the while you are trying to set up the mic so he can get that oh my god like tone that he thinks he knows about but wouldnt know it if it bit him on the dick while kicking in his teeth and humping his mother" ........... seriously, this guy wrote like a 50 page thing about recording while the WHOLE time talking like that. Its funny at first.... but GOD DAMN after about 5 pages I was just getting annoyed cause all in all I AM trying to learn something from the vomit spewing out of his man goo trap........ damn it now im doing it. lol.

Awesome guide btw lol.

You may be talking about Slipperman's rant... and I can't fully trust anyone who tries to teach and doesn't go off like that at times.

Anyway, thanks - I'm a little surprised that I haven't scratched the whole thing completely after almost four years, and I'm glad it helped.

Jeff

Actually I believe your correct, Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars Thread From Hell. I dont mind it from time to time, like yours wasnt that bad. But when Slipperman has like a 200 page "thread"..... it then becomes annoying as shit because over half of that is insults that I could have been done with long ago.

This is what happens with a TS7 and Triaxis:

http://soulitude-web.com/archivos/prueba_triaxis_ts7.wav

First half is Triaxis in Lead2 mode, second half is the same but with TS7 On. Triaxis direct to computer using the same impulses as I use with the X30 ampsim.

TS7's pots are all in the middle, no tweaking nor post processing. Just my live preset that sounds awesome through 2:90 poweramp and 1960 AV cab.

As I writte this, I've had more time to change impulses and tweak things, and I can only say TUBESCREAMERS ARE A MUST HAVE. I always used Pod's one in my Pod's presets.
I'm eager to go to rehearsals and test it in front of my rig.

^You might want to back off on the drive there a bit, it can make you life hell with noise and feedback. Definitely play around with settings to find what you like, I prefer to keep the tone between half and full, the level all the way up or fairly close and the drive, no more than 9 o'clock but usually all the way down. You could always try out the Sneap settings as well, though I am sure the Triaxis wouldn't need such extreme settings.

I own a triaxis and I think it's pretty tight by itself. I've never needed to use a screamer in front of it to tight the low end

ODs are not just for tightening up low end, they can be used for coloration as well. I am pretty sure it was mentioned in other places other than the OP, but all OD pedals add compression which effects sustain and palm muted chords in a way only obtainable with an OD.

I like the way my SD-1 colors the sound and how it effects input sensitivity, even if I am playing on an amp that doesn't need it for tightening reasons.

^You might want to back off on the drive there a bit, it can make you life hell with noise and feedback. Definitely play around with settings to find what you like, I prefer to keep the tone between half and full, the level all the way up or fairly close and the drive, no more than 9 o'clock but usually all the way down. You could always try out the Sneap settings as well, though I am sure the Triaxis wouldn't need such extreme settings.

Yes, this was a kind of "not moving anything" test. 12-12-12 o'clock.
Playing with Triaxis/TS7/Impulses I think I will get a decent sound.

This is what happens with a TS7 and Triaxis:

http://soulitude-web.com/archivos/prueba_triaxis_ts7.wav

First half is Triaxis in Lead2 mode, second half is the same but with TS7 On. Triaxis direct to computer using the same impulses as I use with the X30 ampsim.

TS7's pots are all in the middle, no tweaking nor post processing. Just my live preset that sounds awesome through 2:90 poweramp and 1960 AV cab.

As I writte this, I've had more time to change impulses and tweak things, and I can only say TUBESCREAMERS ARE A MUST HAVE. I always used Pod's one in my Pod's presets.
I'm eager to go to rehearsals and test it in front of my rig.

So, you use impulses for that sample, or 2-90 & mic'ed cab?
I didn't get that

Btw- after many months of searching I still have NO CLUE what TS model to get :lol: no OLa shootout on these..

I'm saving up to get the MAxon 808 first, and then TS9 (as I have no way of trying before buying)