Icarus Witch - "Draw Down The Moon"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The time has come for the third IW album. I recall I went for the debut (not the EP, the full-lenght) out of buzz in some forums. The album failed to catched me and the only real neat song is their last one the cover of 'S.A.T.O' (sad that a band can't write enough good material to ve overshadow a simple cover).

For their sophomore album the band was sounding better and I like 'Smoke & Mirrors' and the opener 'Out For Blood' a lot but again their cover of 'Mirror Mirror'(with Joe Lynn Turner) was the best tune of the album. Still I wanted to give the guys a chance and not weeding out of my collection.

Now before spending my money I downloaded the album to check it throughly specially since I already have the cover they pull out ('The Ripper', not bad by the way). But I have found this time more interesting songs like the self titled one, 'Black Candles', 'Dying Eyes'.

The band still plays a hard more mid-tempo metal than a fast one, only this time has kind of doom vibe, so even if lacks speed surely gains heaviness. I'm gonna give the third also a shot in my collection.

If you like the previous albums, you'll lke the new one as well.

Coming out next week, the tracklist is:

1. Black Candles
2. Aquarius Rising
3. Reap What You Sow
4. Dying Eyes
5. Draw Down The Moon
6. Serpent In The Garden
7. Funeral Wine
8. Haunting Visions
9. The Ripper (JP cover)

Hmm, I remember IW doing The Ripper for a Priest Tribute a few years back. Vince Neil was also on it and did a decent version of Desert Plains. Think it was called Hell Bent Forever.

I've picked up Capture the Magic fairly recently... didn't find it to be anything particularly memorable.

I've picked up Capture the Magic fairly recently... didn't find it to be anything particularly memorable.

It is not! Except for the cover of 'S.A.T.O' the album is basically boring and uninspired. All and all they have managed to grow a bit for the second and now third album.

Again those who like at least "Songs For The Lost" gonna like this new one too.

Hmm, I remember IW doing The Ripper for a Priest Tribute a few years back. Vince Neil was also on it and did a decent version of Desert Plains. Think it was called Hell Bent Forever.

Yes is the same version as I have that tribute. Motorhead covering 'Breaking The Law' is great :headbang:.

I'm not a huge fan, I got the album send to me by the label and I've yet to listen. I'm not that into this band. I am a friend of Jason's from his time as publicist at Deadline Music and also at Blistering Records and other gigs that he landed fetting other bands press. I was told he'd be up for an interview which should be fun as I've know the guy for years. I am excited that they were the backing back for Dianno. It was disappointing that they didn't play near me.

Thanks for posting this. I like their music so I will be checking this out.

Yes I do recall you like them too. After a third pass I feel more confortable with the album, especially since is short (35 mins including 'The Ripper'), so they don't overkill themselves and the listener.

Hmm.. not all that impressed. I loved the EP, their 07 disc was good, but this just isn't doing much for me. Production's weaker than their other releases and the songs are okay, but nothing astounding.

Hmm.. not all that impressed. I loved the EP, their 07 disc was good, but this just isn't doing much for me. Production's weaker than their other releases and the songs are okay, but nothing astounding.

As always to me is the other way aruond :lol:, I don't like the EP (specially the Alice Cooper cover) and the first albums are more or less boring, I feel this a bit more insteresting.

Just had a quick listen and I like the earlier albums (a lot) more... The previous albums had a different production (this is more raw)and feeling. This sounds very avarage to me, and I was a real big fan of the previous work !

I guess I'm the only one that is more impressed now by them that by their earlier works :loco:

Pabla and I had a great time at the Icarus Witch/Paul DiAnno show. They played most of the new songs, which I just picked up the album at the show along with the new girlie tank top. the guys are pulling double duty as 3 of the IW members were DiAnno's back up band. Sadly after several years of chatting with Jason we never met in person, we saw each other stage/crowd but I was hoping to get some pics with the band. We didn't stay for the full DiAnno set so we only got to hang out with Matt after the IW set. DiAnno said he had laryngitis so he couldn't sing that well, he missed the second line of Wrathchild and we knew he wasn't going to be in top form...all in all it was a good show. Now I can say I've finally seen IW Live and they do not disappoint!!!:headbang:

Have to admit I too was quite underwhelmed by this album. It starts unremarkable, plods along for about 30mins and then it ends. Songs For The Lost wasn't really a classic in my books but it was a marked improvement over the first album and showed a lot of promise for the band, too bad they couldn't deliver this time.