Iced Earth Alive In Athens DVD

Jon Schaffer is as big a gearhead as anyone. The list of what he used on their last album is friggin' unreal. A bunch of pricey Gibsons/Fenders/Martins and high end amps. (Points to anyone on here who even knows what Divided By 13 is.)

He stopped using BC Rich right around Horror Show. His endorsement was up, and he's been using Les Pauls with passives for the heavy stuff pretty much exclusively since then. He's got a signature pickup now; I forget who makes it.

His live rig is a Les Paul through a Larry Dino 939 with Marshall 1960A and B cabs with stock G1275Ts and a Roland JC120 for cleans. That's it. No boost. (I think that particular amp was voiced to his specs...) For a while he was running a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 through Marshall Mode Four cabs and a Bogner Uberschall through Bogner Uberkabs, as his Larry heads (and much of his other gear) were damaged in a flood.

I saw them on the Horror Show tour, and Larry Tarnowski was playing a Jackson Kelly through a Soldano SLO, two Marshall cabs and a JC120, for whatever that's worth.

For all the gearheads out there, here's some shots of one of the Larry amps: http://www.larry-amplification.de/gallery/index.php?level=album&id=2

There's some internal shots in there. The build quality is ridiculously good. o_O

Cool information thanks for that!

I think its the mids or "bite" in his tone I like. The kind you hear when you boost your amp with an SD-1, TS or mids in an EQ pedal kinda thing.

I'd love to own an amp that doesn't need boosting with a pedal to get me where I need to be tone wise.

Yeah, I want to know too! Shaffer may over-do his riffing thing, but he is so TIGHT and it sounds fantastic live.

I remember reading somewhere that he uses extremely heavy strings; something like, a .060 guage string for his Low E (tuned to Eb) which would make alot of sense as to why his rhythm tone is so tight

Jon Schaffer is as big a gearhead as anyone. The list of what he used on their last album is friggin' unreal. A bunch of pricey Gibsons/Fenders/Martins and high end amps. (Points to anyone on here who even knows what Divided By 13 is.)

He stopped using BC Rich right around Horror Show. His endorsement was up, and he's been using Les Pauls with passives for the heavy stuff pretty much exclusively since then. He's got a signature pickup now; I forget who makes it.

His live rig is a Les Paul through a Larry Dino 939 with Marshall 1960A and B cabs with stock G1275Ts and a Roland JC120 for cleans. That's it. No boost. (I think that particular amp was voiced to his specs...) For a while he was running a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 through Marshall Mode Four cabs and a Bogner Uberschall through Bogner Uberkabs, as his Larry heads (and much of his other gear) were damaged in a flood.

I saw them on the Horror Show tour, and Larry Tarnowski was playing a Jackson Kelly through a Soldano SLO, two Marshall cabs and a JC120, for whatever that's worth.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/IceBucker.html