Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I)

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I)
SPV - SPV 98182 - September 11, 2007
By Ryan Starr

c_fa_300.jpg

What’s worse than your co-workers and friends interrupting you while you’re listening to your newest CD? Jon Schaffer interrupting you! I understand that labels are concerned about pirating music, but seriously, how am I supposed to review a CD when the flow is constantly interrupted by your pathetic attempts at keeping people from ripping the album and sending it to their friends. People who review music are doing it for the love of music and to support the scene, so why would we try to rip bands off?

None the less, I will do my best to review Iced Earth’s latest opus Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I).

Everything sounds like it should. The lead work is solid, with some great dual lead harmonies and impressive solos, as we all expect from a master shredder. The riffs are typical of Schaffer, with plenty of his trademark palm muting and triplets. But I’m starting to wonder if this style is simply an attempt at a signature or does Schaffer just lack the originality to find a new rhythm to play. One thing is certain though, no one else plays quite like him. There are also a couple of decent slow songs, but while they are well written, I really think Barlow’s vocals are better suited for this style. Ripper does a good job, but Barlow just has more emotion. In contrast, Ripper does a fantastic job with the more up beat songs. Songs with a quick pace and high energy seem to really suit the “balls in a vice” vocal style much better. Now, as I mentioned on the previous review of the Overture of the Wicked EP, Ripper did a great job singing below his normal register, but on the full length he can’t control his urge to add another layer of ear piercing howls on top. I’m not really sure if I like it or not. Layers are nice, but it can be a little much sometimes.

Lastly, I’m not entirely sold on the additional sound effects, like the ethnic drums featured on ‘Overture’ and ‘Something Wicked Part II’ and the organ part on ‘The Domino Decree’. They don’t seem to serve any purpose. The entire ‘Something Wicked Part II’ track can go away and it really doesn’t hurt the album. And on ‘The Domino Decree’ there is plenty going on in the song, and the organ mixed pretty low anyways (except for the solo part) so why have it to begin with?

In closing, do not mistake my bitterness (and realize these are my opinions and no one elses) with the voice overs for a poor review. This album is fantastic. Even though I’m a bit tired of Schaffer’s rhythm work, it has everything Iced Earth fans have come to expect. Epic songs and phenomenal guitar leads are this bands trademark, and its all here, no one should be disappointed by this release. It has everything.

But next time, maybe self release the album and get rid of the greedy label voice overs. It's obvious, by the tone of Schaffer's voice and the depressed sigh before every voice over, that you don't like this any more than I do. “Hello SPV, I did not enjoy my promotional copy of Iced Earth’s new CD Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I). Please leave the voice overs off Part II. Leave the music alone”

Official Iced Earth Website
Official SPV Website

I don't think Shaffer can be called a Master Shredder, aside from his very tight rhythm work. After all, he didn't play these solos. But you're right - their lead/harmony/melodic sections are always badass.

In any case, Iced Earth has always been one of those bands that generally doesn't have a large amount of variation in their chord structures and even key changes for that matter... as a result, most of the songs sound way too similar. I'm not sure why, but they STILL somehow manage to be a great band and usually entertain.

This is a good album, check it out.

I like it. My #3 for 2007. It's a little inconsistent but there are lots of highlights here from start to finish, & I don't skip any tracks while listening.

The segues are all very cool imo, creating a wicked atmosphere throughout the album, & I love how a lot of tracks are musically linked, using recurring melodies from previous tracks even from the original SWTWC trilogy. The lyrics & artwork provide a clear insight to the story too, & do a lot to really get you into it.

My two favourite songs on the album are "A Charge To Keep" & "Framing Armageddon". Those ones just scream "we are Iced Earth, still as strong as ever". Other highlights though include "Something Wicked Part 1", "10000 Strong" & of course the big one; "The Clouding". The thing about this album is it needs to be listened to right through in one sitting, for one because while songs like "Setian Massacre" don't sound so hot on their own, listening to "Invasion" & "Motivation of Man" right before it makes it all sound like one big song, & they all sound twice as good together.

I can't help but think Matt Barlow would have been a better fit for vocals on these albums, but Tim Owens still makes an impressive performance & in many cases, some songs here were clearly made for the Ripper. My favourite Ripper moment on this album has to be the high screaming at the end of the title track. In that moment he sounds exactly like Barlow did on the Burnt Offerings track "Creator Failure"! Almost as if to say "anything he can do..."...

So yeah overall I'm happy with Jon Schaffer's latest vision, I'm really looking forward to Part 2 & to seeing the band live in November with Heaven & Hell. :kickass:

I haven't heard this yet because when I saw it in the store, I thought it was an old CD. They should try something new.

Maybe it is just me, but I think Tim Owens' voice has no depth, no soul. The only time he sounds decent singing is when they record him so it sounds like he is singing harmony with himself. But when it is just his voice alone, front and center, it sounds thin, strained, and monotone. His screams and high pitch stuff are good, but for me you can't blind me to bad singing with an occasional scream or two.

The music is excellent as always and quintissential Iced Earth. I'm not sure on the lyrics as I haven't given it enough time, but they were lacking on the last album and I have noticed one or two songs with some questionable lines in this one.

I tried to like Glorious Burden and I will try to like this one as well, but already I am cringing when I hear Tim's voice on some songs. If I can't get past Tim's voice I am afraid I have bought my last Iced Earth album.

Even the rhythm may sound somewhat the same on his cds. I think in this case he may have suited those sound towards the vocals of Ripper. I agree that Barlow was the best Iced Earth had but it has been 4 years since his departure.
I think the cd epic to say the least but when you do hear Iced Earth you can definitely hear the signature sound!

I downloaded it from Napster myself. I have it saved to my mp3 player. I have to say i'm absolutely fascinated with the sound of it all. Tim just seems like a good fit, plus im enjoying all of the tracks on the album.

Kept me awake on a 14 hour drive from Maryland to Illinois in the middle of the night, so go figure. I really have enjoyed this album as the Glorious Burden if not more.

Its led me farther down the path in this particular style of heavy metal i thought was once lost of good.

Rock on !!!!:headbang:

My favourite Ripper moment on this album has to be the high screaming at the end of the title track. In that moment he sounds exactly like Barlow did on the Burnt Offerings track "Creator Failure"! Almost as if to say "anything he can do..."...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, don't say that! :cry:

No, Matt is still, and always will be number one! :worship: