Iced Earth - Overture of the Wicked

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Iced Earth - Overture of the Wicked
SPV - June 5th, 2007
By Ryan Starr

c_overture_200.jpg

Overture of the Wicked is an EP released back in June to ramp up to the release of the full length album Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part I). I will be reviewing Framing Armageddon later this week, so be sure to check back.

This EP features one track from the upcoming album and revamped recordings of the Something Wicked Trilogy, obviously featuring Tim “Ripper” Owens on vocals. The new song ‘Ten Thousand Strong’ features a more melodic style when compared to the rest of the tracks. It kicks off with a classic Ripper scream to get you in the mood then breaks into one of Schaffer’s trademark palm muted riffs. But what sets this track apart from the rest is the chorus. Schaffer takes it down a notch to let Ripper take the center stage with a harmonized vocal line. The melody kind of reminds me of Blind Guardian gang vocals. It’s in a lower register than Ripper usually sings in, and tracked multiple times for an epic choral feel. I think it makes for a great addition to the song, breaking up the monotony of constant nut crunching vocals. Ripper certainly proves he can do more than rip off Painkiller era Halford vocals.

Now, I have to be honest with you guys, I was a little scared when Barlow left the band and Ripper took his place. Barlow had a unique voice that was dripping with emotion. But I have to admit, Ripper does a fantastic job on these other tracks. I don’t get the feeling he’s trying to imitate Barlow, adding his own flair, but he does it tastefully. He does a great job off keeping in the style of the music.

The goal of this EP was to start hyping the upcoming full length and getting everyone excited about Iced Earth again, and I think they succeeded. But will the full length live up the hype? Check back in a few days to see what I have to say about it.

Official Iced Earth Website
Official SPV Website