Iced Earth in Atlanta

Really OT here, but how was Toad the Wet Sprocket? My wife's a huge fan and I had the good karma of being able to take her to her first show of them (in 09 or 10, they sounded tight and solid). They're coming to NO again, and I'd like to take her again if possible.

Mardoch--Toad was excellent. Glenn Phillips still has the same voice he always had and the set list included a few gems from the vault. The harmonies are still there. Pay special attention to the bass playing--I had never really appreciated how good it was. As you may know, they have a new album out, New Constellation, which is pretty good. They a few songs from the new one. I really enjoyed the show and recommned anyone who liked the band to go.

Am I the only one that thought Iced Earth was too damned loud? Great volume for Revamp & Sabaton and then it became so painful that I left half way through Iced Earth's set.

I didn't really notice the volume being an issue, but after following ReVamp and Sabaton...I just got bored with Iced Earth. I left after Burning Times...so I didn't stick around long into their set. Stu just doesn't cut it for me...and I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. He just doesn't interact with the crowd well and when he does it doesn't seem genuine. Like I said above though, Sabaton just wins the crowd over...Iced Earth doesn't stand a chance following them unless Mr. Barlow is present...that would be a game changer.

~Brian~

Missed ReVamp ....

Sabaton completely owned the night....

Iced Earth were a disappointment....

Basically summed up the show for me.

I'm not a huge ReVamp fan, but Floor was amazing. I look forward to catching her with Nightwish.

Sabaton fucking owned. So much energy...I would have been happy with a longer Sabaton set and just left afterwards.

Iced Earth was basically as you said. I've seen then a couple of times over the years in different places. The whole band felt off. For me, I'm going with Stu, though the whole energy of the band was kind of lame. I left about half way through their set.

For me, I'm going with Stu, though the whole energy of the band was kind of lame.
That's why I didn't exclusively want to blame Stu - no one really seemed to be on their game. Troy more or less stood in front of his pedalboard all night, Luke half-heartedly headbanged but didn't interact with the crowd much, and Jon seemed more reserved than usual. Jon Dette was actually reasonably impressive for a session guy, he seemed to be playing with a lot of energy.

I left about half way through their set.
We stayed until the encore because I wanted to see how Stu did with "The Coming Curse." It was actually kind of weird, a decent chunk of the crowd left after they finished the normal set (pre-encore) and the room got quiet waiting for the encore - very few people cheering or chanting for more. Perhaps everyone was just drained by that point, but it was almost uncomfortable how few people were cheering for Iced Earth to come back out.

Am I the only one that thought Iced Earth was too damned loud? Great volume for Revamp & Sabaton and then it became so painful that I left half way through Iced Earth's set.

Same experience in Dallas - We had to move all the way to the back of the venue, about 80 feet from the speakers, before it sounded right, but ReVamp and Sabaton sounded great.

Stu just doesn't cut it for me...and I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. He just doesn't interact with the crowd well and when he does it doesn't seem genuine. .

~Brian~

That's the weird thing - he was completely the opposite when he was with Into Eternity. I saw them 4 times, and he always connected with the crowd very well..