Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ICED EARTH – TRIBUTE TO THE GODS
Century Media - 2002

icedearth_tributetothegods.jpg

By Rodrigo Escandon

Originally released in the five-disc Dark Genesis box set, Tribute to the Gods now gets its own release for those who may only want to buy this release and not the entire package. This album is an entire album of covers by Iced Earth of the bands that inspired them.

My general feeling of covers is that the band better do something new to the song, play it in their style or do something totally different with it and not just play the song as it was in its original form. Another important thing is that I better like the bands that are being covered or else my first point wont matter at all. Unfortunately for me, who is a big fan of Iced Earth, I see no point to this release. The bands that are covered are KISS, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden and out of all these bands the only one that I like is Maiden. So out of a total of eleven songs, I only care about two, “The Number of the Beast” and “Hallowed be thy Name” and they sound almost too identical to the originals for me to really care about them. Sure they may sound a bit heavier but I would rather put on The Number of the Beast or listen to the Dream Theater bootleg of the same album that came out a few weeks ago or to Cradle of Filth’s own cover of “Hallowed”.

In fact, the best Iced Earth cover song that I have heard “Transylvania” is not even in this album and that’s a shame. I guess I will just play the Horror Show edition that has this song. So there you have it, if you like the bands that are covered and you have to have all Iced Earth releases then I am sure your opinion will differ.

Century Media Website
Iced Earth Official Website