ICQ question - to icq SMS people

salty

Aug 4, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
OK so i figured if its free why not try it out.

So i tried to add the mobile number of my housemate to his details on my icq list, but the bastard of a thing wont let me put all of the numbers in. It seems to stop typing one number too short. So i get the australia in the drop down part, then when i put in the mobile number its like 0401 *** 89...and then thats all it will let me type.

DO i have some dodgy version of ICQ? (ok I know that EVERY version of ICQ is dodgy but still...).

Im using ICQlite, which has all of the sms features and stuff.

Just annoying seeing as there are zero free aussie sms sites (free as in not...free sms...as long as you buy a ringtone and get credit for them) that i can find, and my phone almost never has credit on it hehe.

In the other icq thread i read that someone here uses it for sms...whats the trick?

Drop the first 0 on your number...

So if your mobile number is 0401 123 1234, it would be (AUSTRALIA) 401 1231234 in ICQ

It works but if you try to send SMSs too often, they'll lock you out of the system. And it's shortened too 'cos they tack on a carrier ad at the end...

Still - if you need to send a quick SMS and you can't use a mobile, it can work great! :)