ideas for a music related website(?)

vikk

Nov 29, 2005
Hello, i need your help ^^ as part of my graduation i have to come up with a website, i thought a music/audio site would fit me better.

So i was wondering if you guys have any ideas, or something that could be improved in other sites, or something is missing, something you would want to see, etc... it can be music related, bands, audio (tecnology), production, whatever.

Is not meant to be something revolutionary, über-interesting, or to make money, but for the graduation it must be up and running. It will probably be built with Flash and some Java mainly.

kudos ^^

I don't have any ideas, but I do have a tip.

Go look around the internet at different music websites. Look at what they have, what they don't have and what you think they should have. Get some ideas to base it around and create your own ideas. Do some browsing around before you make your site.

Something I've run across from time to time are music websites that automatically start playing a song when you enter the site, and the music player itself is difficult to locate on the page. I HATE that. If you're gonna have music start up automatically (which I wouldn't, personally), at least make the player easily visible so the visitor can pause them shitz. *insert derick's fist shaking emoticon here*

How about a site that amalgamates all the latest posts from music blogs and review sites (blabbermouth reviews, pitchfork, metalsucks, etc.), and has links to play/stream/buy the latest, most interesting stuff.

Sort of a one-stop music RSS feed that links to all the newest shitz.

Go look around the internet at different music websites. Look at what they have, what they don't have and what you think they should have. Get some ideas to base it around and create your own ideas. Do some browsing around before you make your site.

holy crap that's brilliant!

Something I've run across from time to time are music websites that automatically start playing a song when you enter the site, and the music player itself is difficult to locate on the page. I HATE that. If you're gonna have music start up automatically (which I wouldn't, personally), at least make the player easily visible so the visitor can pause them shitz. *insert derick's fist shaking emoticon here*

yeah i hate those as well

How about a site that amalgamates all the latest posts from music blogs and review sites (blabbermouth reviews, pitchfork, metalsucks, etc.), and has links to play/stream/buy the latest, most interesting stuff.

Noted, i could do something like that! kudos!

You could establish an online store for indie artists, where the artist doesn't need to pay upfront but gets a certain percentage deducted from the actual sales. Basically, something like iTunes or Amazon MP3 but easier to get into.

AFAIK, something like that doesn't really exist so far.

I'd be quite an undertaking though, an eventual start-up.

holy crap that's brilliant!

:lol:!

I think cdbaby.com fall under this principle.

Not quite, you pay either $35 (album) or $9 (single) upfront to sign your album up and then from there maybe additional charges depending on the services you're using. Also, they will create mp3s and digitalize your artwork after you send them a master disc. This not only creates a delay, it also strips you of the freedom of choosing an adequate file-format and properties (bitrate etc.).

It's still a cool and cheap service, but my scenario would be a little more convenient:

You simply register your shop with the site (for free), upload your files, set your prices and you're ready to sell.

Of course, some songs and albums won't sell much or at all. To subsidise hosting costs, ads should be implemented.

When I go to a music website, as in a one stop source for all things metal, I want to see the news. Blabbermouth has it down pat. But one other thing that you could do once in a while is some in-depth stuff, like interviews or some talk about the genre (Whatever it may be).

Also, this is just creativity speaking but what about a "Riff analysis" section? Some artists put together songs that suck but a few good riffs DO push out into their music (I'm mostly talking about metal, but the topic spans all genre's). Comparing and Contrasting could be a fun conversation area, which engages the reader somewhat (Critical in success).

It's just a grad project, I know, but I'm just adding a few more monkeys in the barrel for you :)

Brooks, that is actually a really good idea. WTF did you not smoke today or something?

You could establish an online store for indie artists, where the artist doesn't need to pay upfront but gets a certain percentage deducted from the actual sales. Basically, something like iTunes or Amazon MP3 but easier to get into.

AFAIK, something like that doesn't really exist so far.

I'd be quite an undertaking though, an eventual start-up.

Slash this exists

Garageband.com

Thats what they do. you post your stuff and when it sells they get a cut. They been around since like 98 or something.