If European metal is the best then.....

machine

Bare-faced cheek
Jul 4, 2003
NEW ZELAND
www.heroichomosex.com
... why do they sing in English????? well, most of them anyway.

Hard case, you hear interviews with euro bands and it's all...."Yaaa, is good ya? We bes' band Ya? Gooden sleebin' now Ya?"

And then once the microphone is out they sing english so beautifully.

I cant work it out.

First of all, the English language was born in europe. Second English is the most spoken language in the world (although once I heard Chinese was the most spoken language, then English and then Spanish, but somehow I don't believe Chinese beats English) , so logically they will sing in english in order to reach a bigger audience.

hmm, wasn't deep purple, judas priest et al huge in Japan? They're pommy aren't they?
I guess what I really want to know is that if English is your 2nd language.. how difficult is it to sing english???

Well English is my secondary language, and I always sing in english, and modesty appart, I think I do it quite well :p. Now if you mean people with a super scribbled accent who sing in english perfectly....you got me there really haha. I've heard french people who know diddly about english sing in it perfectly. I guess they practice the pronunciation of the lyrics. But I don't know...

Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world. Although there are many dialects, just think, 1 in 6 people lives there. Coincidentally, has anyone actually heard any Chinese metal? Does it exist?

Chemicalburn its right... there more chinese people than people who actually speaks english as a second lenguage.... but it think its Mandarin.. and not chinese.. i think.. anyway..

Think about china, and the way they live there...

in addition to already mentioned reasons:
cos it's the recently only language that connects most people. it's most widely spread around the globe

It's the most widely spread language.

As for how singers who don't know English sing so well:

1. first, they already have the lyrics. They know exactly what they need to sing, unlike interviews where they have to come up with sentences all on their own.
  2. Singing is different than speaking. It's harder to find flaws in pronounciation because it's different.

Notice I said hard, but not impossible. I can do it. And it pisses me off, since I can't seem to enjoy any band that comes from Finland because of their accents.

As people already mentioned, it is the language understood by most people. For instance, if a band from Sweden sings in Swedish, then only people from Sweden would understand the lyrics. But if a band sings in English, people in most courtries would understand the words, because it is the most widely known second language in non-English-speaking countries, not to mention that it is the language spoken in North America, the UK, Ireland, and other courtries.