I'm thinking Discouraged Ones is the best I've heard yet....?

Orelans

www.trole.org
Sep 20, 2002
Visit site
:OMG: Damn, I went shopping at HMV in Windsor and what do ya know? They have the ENTIRE catalogue of Katatonia albums! SHIT! Well, not Dance of December Souls or Last Fair Deal, but still...cool shit!

I've owned Brave Murder Day, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness for well over a year now and they are absolutely brilliant albums. Now I had the chance to get Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones. I wanted BOTH, but since I was getting two cd's I only chose one (the other was Children of Bodom's latest).

Anyway, out of the two I chose Discouraged Ones because I hear Travis Smith around here said it's his fave Katatonia album. Anyway, what do ya know? I'm beginning to think the same. Seriously, this album is freaking unbelievable without a single bad track on it.

Man, SO many great songs...I feel it may even top Last Fair Deal - no joke. I really dig this shit!

In the end, it's no surprise to why Katatonia is amongst the best bands out there IMO.

Songs like I Break, Cold Ways, Saw You Drown, Deadhouse, Last Resort and ESPECIALLY Relention & Distrust. AH, then there's Nerve - you get the picture. The songs are catchy, well written and they just kick ass.

FUCK!!! How do you delete posts/threads in this site now??? I just realized I used my bro's account to post this. This kinda sucks, as he forgot to logout and I just realized that it wasn't me logged on.

Anyway, maybe it was a stretch to name it above LFDGD but damn...if anything, they're gonna be tied. I don't care...I'm listening right now and I just love this album.

To be honest, I think that DO is their weakest album. I am not a big fan of the production, nor the simplicity of the riffage, although there are a couple of EXCELLENT tracks, particularly Deadhouse(the best on the album), Gone, and Saw You Drown. But shit, I think Quiet World from the Saw You Drown EP is way better than any track on DO. And...............in my humble estimation, LFDGD is the greatest album of all time, at least for me anyways. DO is but a shadow of that great monument

The Scourge said:
To be honest, I think that DO is their weakest album. I am not a big fan of the production, nor the simplicity of the riffage, although there are a couple of EXCELLENT tracks, particularly Deadhouse(the best on the album), Gone, and Saw You Drown. But shit, I think Quiet World from the Saw You Drown EP is way better than any track on DO. And...............in my humble estimation, LFDGD is the greatest album of all time, at least for me anyways. DO is but a shadow of that great monument
As Usual we agree :)
(although BWP just beats LFDGD for me)
But Quiet World is truly better than anything on DO!

Blackwater Park Schism? Wow, hehe; well I can certainly respect that. But man, I just think that Your Arms My Hearse is the greatest thing that Opeth ever composed. That album is also on my top 5 of all time, although I am not sure where, hehe. Need to do that one of these days. Cheers!

Discouraged Ones is my favourite clean-vocalled Katatonia album.

MAYH is my favourite Opeth album. April Ethereal isn't the most 'evil' tune! The Amen Corner and Demon of the Fall are both far 'eviller'. April Ethereal and When are perhaps the best tracks though. I was obsessed with that album for so long...

I love Discouraged Ones! I think it's the most melancholic and saddest Kata album! But I like all their albums, I can't say if one is better than others.

Schism said:
As Usual we agree :)
(although BWP just beats LFDGD for me)
But Quiet World is truly better than anything on DO!

i gotta go with Still Life and Discouraged ones being the best of thier respective artists. I dont know where the fuck you people get LFDGD from? i love the cd, but damn it got nothing up on the raw emotion of DO. IMO. and still life, call me a sucker for a concept album but SL is beyond amazing. but that is why they have these boards here isnt it? so that we can disagree together.

Funny how Opeth got into this, but man...yeah, still my fave band. Morningrise was my favourite for the longest time (as was Orchid afterwards), but now it is just difficult for me to say. Dammit, all 7 albums are pure genius. Deliverance has some fine moments, for sure. And yes, April Ethereal is an incredible piece of metal music. My faves off that album are April Ethereal, The Amen Corner, When & Demon of the Fall.

And I agree of what people are saying of DO - definitely the saddest, most depressing Katatonia album. The simplicity and production are well respected by me on this album - it's a style, and works flawlessly in the mood that is delivered with this album. Relention is BY FAR the best track on the album - "I'm returning from something, to something, guess I'm alright" - the riff is sheer brilliance. I'm addicted to this song right now. Saw You Drown was my fave before I bought the album and heard all the songs!

Fave songs:

Brave Murder Day: 12 & Murder
Discouraged Ones: Relention & Distrust (amazing solo and chorus!)
Tonight's Decision: For my Demons
Last Fair Deal Gone Down: Teargas & The Future of Speech
Viva Emptiness: Evidence & Omerta

Keep in mind, there is like NO Katatonia song I dislike (well, except for Wealth - just the intro...verses are quite nice)

berkleyblack: I....don't....even want to know what the pic of your av is....sick!

My Arms Your Hearse isn't may favorite Opeth album (I prefer Morningrise and Still Life), but it is unmatched in terms of intensity in their catalogue. April Ethereal is indeed a powerful opener, but I think When is the best song overall on it. And why is Karma so overloooked? I love that one, especially the acoustic section and the ending.

DO the most depressive Katatonia album? It amazes me that some of you think so. LFDGD is by far their most depressive work to date. The prevalence of heavily layered, dissonant minor keys combined with Jonas' most honest, abstract, and pain-delivered lyrical execution yet. Mayhap we need a DO vs. LFDGD thread as to which is the most depressive....

I just bought Last Fair Deal... That one and Tonight's Decision beat Discouraged Ones very easily in my books...well Viva Emptiness probably does too. I could never get into Discouraged Ones...
I'm not sure about the depressiveness issue,as Discouraged Ones never hit home,but Tonight's Decision is the most depressive one for me...Last Fair Deal... is a bit more haunting,but depressing too.