The Discouraged Ones

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I still have the three Katatonia CD's that I bought awhile back...

DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS, TONIGHT'S DECISION, and VIVA EMPTINESS.

All are, in my opinion, great, great albums. And I need more!

I do want to get the double CD that collects all of the early EP's and songs from the 'old' Katatonia material. But there are only two albums from the 'new' Katatonia that I want to get. So I went to the Official site and sampled some of the tracks from LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN and THE DISCOURAGED ONES. And of the two, I was blown away by the samples from THE DISCOURAGED ONES. Especially the opening track.

Is this CD as good as the samples make it out to be?

Thanks!

In my opinion, Last Fair Deal Gone Down is much better...the samples on the site are of Teargas and Tonight's Music, right? Teargas just...isn't that impressive, it's kind of poppy, so don't let the samples convince you that the album's all like that. Anyway, that cd has A LOT more variety than Discouraged Ones, and I think it's much better. Discouraged Ones is probably their most depressing-sounding album...it's very, very mournful, and most of the vocals sound like they're sighed and way off in the background. It's got some really incredible songs (like deadhouse and saw you drown), but I think it's kind of repetitive. If you liked the samples from it, though, you'll probably like the whole thing, and therefore it might be a safer buy.

HOWEVER, YOU NEED BOTH SOONER OR LATER!

Iam not the same Opinion then wankerness.I would get Discouraged Ones. Actually it was my first Katatonia Cd..........and i was really blown away by the the mood on that album (it was in my "iam 16 and i want to die phase" of life ;-P). Last Fair Deal Gone Down IS poppy an is not filled with such a depression that discouraged ones has. And really............tracks like: IBreak, Deadhouse, Coldways and the masterpiece SawYouDrown mean really alot to me.
But Katatonia is often all about that album you listen first, when you are starting a "relationship" with the bands music. Katatonia has changed their style so often (even if its just small things like when u compare lfdgd and discouraged ones), that its possible that you hear one cd and u love it........but hate all the others :p

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
I still have the three Katatonia CD's that I bought awhile back...

DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS, TONIGHT'S DECISION, and VIVA EMPTINESS.

All are, in my opinion, great, great albums. And I need more!

I do want to get the double CD that collects all of the early EP's and songs from the 'old' Katatonia material. But there are only two albums from the 'new' Katatonia that I want to get. So I went to the Official site and sampled some of the tracks from LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN and THE DISCOURAGED ONES. And of the two, I was blown away by the samples from THE DISCOURAGED ONES. Especially the opening track.

Is this CD as good as the samples make it out to be?

Thanks!
Every Katatonia album is nice but I propose to you to buy last fair deal is going down.

Everyone has a different opinion so don't listen to any of us as we'll all recommend something different. If possible, buy everything, if not, read descriptions of how the albums sound and listen to samples to get a general idea. DO is my favourite though. Yes, it's repetitive, but that's not always a bad thing, it's just "katatonic". It represents the name in my opinion.

You should get both. I think LFDGD is the best of those two, but DO is really good too.

As everyone already said, both albums are incredible. I like LFDGD a little more, but DO is really really good also.