If Jonas suddenly left the band...

As far as BMD goes, the fact he didn't handle most of the vocals doesn't really ruin the argument that Jonas is irreplacable...the album was made before his clean vocals became central to their sound, and the situation being discussed here reflects on what would happen now.

Correct Demonspell, and to whether or not the comments about Jonas being irreplacable and Mike A. singing on BMD and SoD were towards me, i happen to thoroghly enjoy those albums, Endtime being one of my favorite if not most fave song by them *shrug* Also Mike was offered a full time position in Katatonia in that era to the best of my knowledge but declined as Opeth was becoming more cohesive and demanded more of Mikaels time, so i think it's safe to rule that possibilty out if this theoretical circumstance did indeed occur. Anders vocals are wonderful in Diabolical Masquerade but i don't know if it would be Katatonia material, would be interesting i'm sure if nothing else. I for one think that Jonas's growl were quite extraordinary and easily depictable from the other vocalists who sing in the same fashion. have not yet heard anyone to sound like him. Especially on October Tide, his performance was brilliant. Sightless is an amazing song which showcases that. Grey Dawn i really don't like *shrug* yes the other guy did a commendable job but it wasn't the same and the music was performed and written differently as well. Just doesn't hmm... have that same "feel" as Rain Without End. Anyway yea, food for thought and all that perhaps...

Dark Chapter said:
I for one think that Jonas's growl were quite extraordinary and easily depictable from the other vocalists who sing in the same fashion. have not yet heard anyone to sound like him. Especially on October Tide, his performance was brilliant.

But then again, the original question was "Can Jonas be replaced?", in which case I'd still insist that replacing his growled vocals was possible without detriment to the quality of music, as heard on BMD. Do you think that Brave Murder Day would be better if Jonas actually handled the vocals?

Erik said:
Blakkheim + Renkse = Katatonia.

Other members are basically replacable, but without either of the above there would be no Katatonia, that's how I see it.

in a way you are right, but I think that now Katatonia are all 5 members and even if Blakkheim + Renkse are, let´s say, the heart and mind of katatonia, I wouldn´t feel the same if someone replaced the Norrmanns or Daniel. Katatonia are now all 5 in my opinion...but ok I can´t imagine Katatonia without Jonas, he´s the best lyricist ever and he´s got such a beautiful and particular voice.... without him there would be no Katatonia anymore...

gone said:
Do you think that Brave Murder Day would be better if Jonas actually handled the vocals?
In my opinion yes, have you not heard the live bootlegs where Jonas is performing Murder and Endtime? :Spin: Good stuff!

i dont really have a lot to say about this post... except for that katatonia probably would lose some of their style by losing jonas, and lets pray for this not to happen. jonas is my second favorite vocalist, only maynard james keenan beats him according to me... (that was a compliment)

Dark Chapter said:
Maynard is way overrated, just my opinion naturally. He would ruin Katatonia. If such a thing ever happened which i doubt will as i'm sure they'd rather call it a day than try to go on. But should it happen i would want an unknown to fill in because there would be no replacing Jonas.
I actually think Maynard would be a good replacement ... if you listened to Tool a bit more and maybe heard some different songs ( if you haven't heard them all already ) then you would probably respect Maynard as a very talented man. But he does tend to try and control things, the new APC album for example ...... so fuck Maynard

warsofwinter said:
But he does tend to try and control things, the new APC album for example ...... so fuck Maynard

i dont understand, really. what do you mean he tries to control things? the latest album from APC is almost a perfect album according to me, it has even reached a level of perfection where it can be compared to viva emptiness...

i dont really understand your complaint about maynard, although all the good stuff you said about him is very true. :)

zeroMaximum said:
i dont understand, really. what do you mean he tries to control things? the latest album from APC is almost a perfect album according to me, it has even reached a level of perfection where it can be compared to viva emptiness...

i dont really understand your complaint about maynard, although all the good stuff you said about him is very true. :)

i was really disappointed by the new apc album, must be because i had expected a more TOOLish sound... i dont think 13th step's bad, it just doesnt has the debt you find in Tool's albums.... and i would NEVER say its perfect!! more like they're just riding the wave from the first apc album, which was good but now that recept's used.... !! :oops: